M8 Snobs

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

She really thought the M8 is quiet?

Yes; no exaggeration! I tend to agree Jaap on M8 shutter noise. I do not find it at all troublesome. It does not compare with my silent Digilux 2, but they are different cameras.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaap, I totally agree with you. Even honest owners of M8.2 have told me that the difference in shutter sound is minimal.

I'm an honest owner of the original M8 but have been able to use it side by side with an M8.2 for a while and, yes, there is a substantial difference: it's not the sound, but rather the shutter vibration that is more noticeably muted on the M8.2 - my impression at least.

Having said that, it wasn't a big enough difference to make me want to forgo the benefits of 1/8000s when using fast lenses in daylight - you and Jaap are right: it may indeed be minimal after all, and only noticeable to M8 users ;)

Edited by Ecar

It happens that I approach people if they have Leicas. Like this nice British couple I met in Tivoli, Copenhagen, last year. He had a green leathered M6 and worked for Ilford and was a enthusiastic B&W shooter, naturally. I went back to my car, picked up my M8 and we had a long chat over several pints of beer before going back to our respective hotels.

Who was that? Any of you guys here?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It happens that I approach people if they have Leicas. Like this nice British couple I met in Tivoli, Copenhagen, last year. He had a green leathered M6 and worked for Ilford and was a enthusiastic B&W shooter, naturally. I went back to my car, picked up my M8 and we had a long chat over several pints of beer before going back to our respective hotels.

Who was that? Any of you guys here?

What a lovely positive story! Good for you! No, I do not have a green M6.

When I've encountered another M8 user who was out shooting, I've just given a little nod & a smile, without trying to start a conversation. Like old Porsche owners on the road who blink their lights at one another, but don't put on the brakes & try to strike up a conversation.

When people who don't have one approach me, I ask if they've used a rangefinder camera before. If they say yes, then I recommend it (with a few reservations). If no, I just tell them it's my personal choice because of my rangefinder habit, but it wouldn't suit most folks who are accustomed to auto features.

Kirk

In the 2.5 years I've had an M8 nobody has ever showed the slightest interest in it, which I regard as good. Maybe I take pictures in the wrong crowds, but in over 30 years of Leica ownership (rangefinder and reflex) they have rarely been the subject of any interest at all, apart from an occasional nod from another Leica user.

What a lovely positive story! Good for you! No, I do not have a green M6.

David,

Do you have any idea who this could be?

He was shooting only film and working for Ilford and had a lifetime experience with Leica gear. I was in Copenhagen alone on a business trip. I usually dine at Herzegovina, a restaurant that can only be accessed from Tivoli during the summer and went for a walk around Tivoli afterwards. They were on a oval weekend trip to Copenhagen burning off frequent flyer bonus points. Very nice people. We discussed everything from common Norwegian/British history to photo.

I am not a snob whatsoever, but I can't help but think that dslr shooters look thoroughly and genuinely idiotic, on the streets, with their backpack and huuge lens on the camera.

If that makes me a Leica snob I don't care. I just think dslrs make people look dumb.

What a very sad reflection of a Leica RF user.

Some of the very best photographs are still being taken using 10x8 film cameras weighing a ton and with a wooden tripod weighing another ton! I met a youngish guy in the South Western States last year with such gear and he was very proud to be using such equipment that was close to being 100 years old. He is a pro with a studio selling his fine art landscape photographs of a quality that no Leica image could begin to compete with.

Similarly with the guy with his DSLR and rucksack...........he may know rather more than you think...........in fact it could be me!!

David,

Do you have any idea who this could be? .

I am afraid I don't. Most of the Leica users I have met are members of the UK Leica Fellowship who meet twice a year for a long weekend of shooting and chatting and eating etc. It is open to any Leica user who has attended a Leica training day at Solms or MK. We even have two members who live in the USA, so it is international in that sense. But I will keep my eyes open. One member did have a blue skinned bespoke Leica RF but I haven't seen a green one.

What a very sad reflection of a Leica RF user.

Some of the very best photographs are still being taken using 10x8 film cameras weighing a ton and with a wooden tripod weighing another ton! I met a youngish guy in the South Western States last year with such gear and he was very proud to be using such equipment that was close to being 100 years old. He is a pro with a studio selling his fine art landscape photographs of a quality that no Leica image could begin to compete with.

Similarly with the guy with his DSLR and rucksack...........he may know rather more than you think...........in fact it could be me!!

And it could be me too. I am totally aware I may look totally idiotic when I carry a huge dslr + Mega huge bag.

I kinda regret having gone on vacation with such a rig in the past. God!

In the 2.5 years I've had an M8 nobody has ever showed the slightest interest in it, which I regard as good. Maybe I take pictures in the wrong crowds, but in over 30 years of Leica ownership (rangefinder and reflex) they have rarely been the subject of any interest at all, apart from an occasional nod from another Leica user.

The only time anyone has ever commented on a Leica I was using was many years ago when I was a PJ for a weekly local. I was using an M3 the other PJ's were shooting SLR's with MD's and one looked at my camera and said "you use THAT!"

I feel sorry for snobs in general, it is they who are missing out.

I have two experiences with people recognizing my M8. The first was in Wuhan China. I was visiting a park with cherry trees in full bloom. It was wonderful. There were several wedding photographers, and a one whom I would call a Masters of Photography. He had a small army of students ( I guess) running lenses, tripods, etc from a small tent to where ever He was shooting. Everybody was in a hurry, since the blossoms would not last as a major storm was on it's way. I found this scenario very interesting and took a few pictures of this. Between his crew, and all the other photographers, it was very interesting. He did not pay any attention to me, until he took a good look a my camera... At that point he grabbed me by the hand, and showed me his favorite locations for shooting. It was wonderful to learn Photography from his point of view. Him with his Nikon and me with My Leica..

The second one was in my local camera shop... I never shoot with flash, and I wanted to try, so I picked up an SF58 and enrolled in a class. The class was ill suited for my purposes but it gave me some food for thought. At the beginning of class the instructor was checking out peoples cameras (for use in the class) and when he got to me, he gasped out loud that it was a Leica, and started to bow to my camera... in a short while half the class was following suit.... I laughed it off, but was some what embarrassed, even when the models father asked me to send him a copy of the pictures I had taken so that his son would have a picture taken by a Leica...

I take the attitude that I am always ready to learn, and there is infinite ways to look at a subject, and that mine is only one way. Even though I have had a camera in my hands since I was 10, I still try to look at my subject (and Photography) with fresh eyes. I find it interesting that a camera (any camera) would bring such responses.