M8 Snobs

wilfredo

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my nearly 39 years of shooting, the only people to snob me were Canon shooters. I like Canon equipment, and chose the T90 as my college graduation gift.

My most recent snobbing was someone with a Canon DSLR and one of their pro series lenses at Disneyland. Turns out that person was paparazzi trying to photograph Victoria Beckham while she was visiting the park, so I guess that's excusable as the snubbing (snobbing?) was work-related for that person.

Now, I will say the 3-4x a year I see a red dot - those almost always turn into fun chats.

Enjoy.

Eric

I can remember three occasions I've been approached when using my M8 in the last two years (and a bit), summarized as follows:

1. What kind of camera is that?

2. You're still using film?

3. Hey, a Leica! Hold it up and I'll take a picture of you with it (by a guy who was shooting Canon ... I had my M6 with me too, so I held that up as well :p).

I tend to shy away when people approach me because of my M8. It's not a snob thing at all but more often than not, they come with the attitude of - 'look, idiot with expensive camera who probably takes worse photos than me with my Canon shooter!'. So unless the person was genuinely and obviously interested in Leica, rangefinder photography, etc, I'd much rather avoid than engage.

Same for me when carrying the DMR. I get too much of the smug "fool who paid too much for an obsolete camera" attitude than I care to stomach. OTOH on one occasion I was photographing an event along with photographers using Nikon and Canon equipment and when the photos were posted the difference was striking :D

Same for me when carrying the DMR. I get too much of the smug "fool who paid too much for an obsolete camera" attitude than I care to stomach. OTOH on one occasion I was photographing an event along with photographers using Nikon and Canon equipment and when the photos were posted the difference was striking :D

May I respectfully suggest that the striking difference came from the hands holding the cameras? ;)

May I respectfully suggest that the striking difference came from the hands holding the cameras? ;)

I would have to that in your case its definitely the case. Whenever I see on of your bird in flight shots, I have to remind myself its done on a rangefinder and my mind goes "Whoa!"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If people notice my M8 and comment, it's usually something like: "Wow, that's a cool-looking old camera!" I usually smile, nod and agree.

Larry

I've gotten reactions like that as well. One guy who I knew approached me after a meeting of one of the Boards I serve on and said, "I hear you are a pretty good photographer, why are you still using that old camera?" It was music to my ears. When people do approach me or even friends and I demonstrate to them that the M8 is a digital they are usually amazed and enjoy the classic look of the M8/digital combo.

Perhaps the guy I approached was an introvert, but it still bordered on rude, and here I was trying to communicate that I too was an M8 shooter, but I never got the chance. Oh well...

If people notice my M8 and comment, it's usually something like: "Wow, that's a cool-looking old camera!" I usually smile, nod and agree.

Larry

I've gotten reactions like that as well. One guy who I knew approached me after a meeting of one of the Boards I serve and said, "I hear you are a pretty good photographer, why are you still using that old camera?" It was music to my ears. When people do approach me or even friends and I show them it's a digital they are usually amazed and enjoy the classic look of the M8/digital combo.

Perhaps the guy I approached was an introvert, nevertheless it still bordered on rude, and here I was trying to communicate that I too was an M8 shooter, but I never got the chance. Oh well...

The one kind of photographer I would not want to discuss with (call me a snob) are the ones that go out with mega zooms on their pro Canikons (5D, D700) and shoot from 30 feet away. We would not understand each other.

Won't call you a snob - I know what you mean.

... But if I decide to take my 5D to Paris, I'll just make sure I'll wear my "I love my M8" cap and put a big, red "This is a backup" sticker on the Canon zoom. You never know, our paths may cross...

Just Friday afternoon kidding:D

As Bill posted, I think it's generally more of a people thing than a camera thing. The exception for me was when I used to do large format work and invariably people would approach and ask about that strange but lovely wooden device atop my tripod.

With my film Ms, and various earlier slr's, I would get occasional reactions to the camera. But, years ago, not everybody had a camera (cell phone), so just having one seemed more unusual to people on the street.

I've only had the M8.2 a few months and no noteworthy reactions specific to the camera. However, at a recent street fair, I walked by a young guy and his girlfriend with my dLux4 hanging low by hand on my right side...no other camera gear or bag on me. He quickly exclaimed "nice camera!" and went back to his conversation. I don't know how he even had time to look down, let alone recognize the small device. I was tempted to return the compliment regarding his lovely girlfriend, but I resisted.

Jeff

Hi,

Like some of us, the red Leica dot and the M8 sign are covered with black tape on my M8 wich makes it difficult to distinguish from a film camera.

Once I was shooting a concert in a bar, I was approched by a young spanish girl who wanted to buy one and asked me a lot of good question about it. I learnt that she was studying photography in a Barcelona school.

Most of the time people don't pay attention to this guy with this non autofocus old style looking piece of metal.

Usually when I meet somebody with a M (any type) we start to talk.

All the best,

Jean-Luc

Guest BigSplash
Hi,

Like some of us, the red Leica dot and the M8 sign are covered with black tape on my M8 wich makes it difficult to distinguish from a film camera.

Once I was shooting a concert in a bar, I was approched by a young spanish girl who wanted to buy one and asked me a lot of good question about it. I learnt that she was studying photography in a Barcelona school.

Most of the time people don't pay attention to this guy with this non autofocus old style looking piece of metal.

Usually when I meet somebody with a M (any type) we start to talk.

All the best,

Jean-Luc

I have had many people ask about my M6, and M4 (with MR Meter) ...They all seem to know the Leica brand, and mention the lenses as high quality etc. I have never had negative comments about it not being a SLR.

No comments yet about the M8 ...

I find this an odd thread. Basically it seems to be full of people saying "I get so annoyed by those people who can't understand why I (we) use Leica...you know, all those idiots using their big akward DSLR's"...and don't see the irony of it.

Have any of you ever gotten snubbed by an M8 photographer? The other day I ran into a guy with an M8, I was carrying another camera which he looked at in a manner bordering on disdain. Although I tried to engage him, and I approached him in a cheerful mood, he uttered something and walked away. I must not have been quite up to his standards. I get a lot out of my M8 but Jesus...

Honestly, I think most M8 owners are quite happy to engage M8 enthusiasts even if they approach us with a point and shoot.

Cheers

Maybe he was having a bad day or maybe he just didn't feel like talking to you wilfredo. Maybe he is tired of explaining his camera to anyone that asks him about it. Maybe he was a snob so what? I don't see why this post is even here. Maybe we should have a new category of wah wah my feelings got hurt by...

This is my first post folks so please bear that in mind. I do not yet own an M8 but I plan to pick up my M8.2 when I return from a current 2 month trip to Mount Desert Island and Acadia National Park. I'm frequenting this forum to learn more and so far I have - but I've also found many threads (this one included) that are quite a bit different from what you'd find on your average Nikon forum, for example.

I do have a practical reason for choosing to post here first because I have given a lot of thought to what it would mean to have an M8.2 around my neck in terms of other people's reactions. I'm concerned about drawing attention to myself while shooting on the street near and far. First, there are theft concerns. I figure a black paint/black dot 8.2 will ease this concern a bit. Second, I just think that my general acquaintances are going to think I'm nuts for owning this camera - or at least that I do not appreciate the value of a $.

But, I don't really care about what anyone thinks because to me the M8.2 is a tool that fills a need that I have for discreet, go-everywhere, cerebral shooting. I won't be giving up my D700 and Gitzos but may cull my glass collection a bit. My dSLR has a place and allows me to catch some shots that I'm convinced an M8.2 will not - just as the M8.2 will allow me to catch shots the D700 will not. It seems to me that the M8.2, aside from its suitability as a "tool", is very much about the "experience" of photography and a connection with the past. In contrast, an advanced and capable dSLR like a D700 is all tool and technique.

My apologies for a lengthy first post but I have to share one more bit of anecdotal info germane to this post. Since being here on the island I have spotted 3 M8s with red dots. One was at the Bar Harbour parade on the 4th and 2 in Acadia. In one instance I was walking up from a shoot with my D700 with 14-24, GPS, RRS ballhead and Gitzo in tow. He didn't say anything but maybe he was thinking what a poor misguided sap I was with all that gear...?:rolleyes:

Second, I just think that my general acquaintances are going to think I'm nuts for owning this camera - or at least that I do not appreciate the value of a $.
So you need to tell them what it costs? 99.99% of the population do not know or care about this Leica stuff. If they ask tell them its is 'expensive' that usually equates to $1000 in most minds.

Pharyngula,

I wouldn't worry too much about being noticed, most people are much more impressed with big, black DSLRs. I've found the M8 to be almost as invisible as a point-and-shoot. As others have commented here, when you do get a reaction -- whether it be positive or negative -- it can almost always be attributed to that individual's personality. After all, it's just a tool.

Larry

I think you guys are right on both scores but a lot of my friends do know Leica and will know it has to be expensive. But then again, I'm certainly not losing any sleep over it. And to the 99.9% out there, I agree they aren't going to know and/or understand - period. It is amazing though, how much a red dot M8 sticks out when you know what it is. Acadia is a photographer's dream location in many respects but even so, I was surprised to keep seeing them - and I'll bet I've missed several others e.g., black 8.2's that must be floating around the island.

Edited by pharyngula

Only one person has ever come up to me and commented about the M8.

Also, I've only encountered one other person in my city using an M8, and got the cold shoulder treatment... Later on, I came to notice that the person occasionally posts on this forum!

A whole discussion about a guy carrying a M8 and not being approachable, how dare he!

My oooooh my do we have problems in the world.............:D:D:D:D

In this thread traces of snobism and elitism are all over he place.