M8 Snobs

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M8 and its lenses are my best things. I'm proud of it and no problem if somebody ask for it. It has happened a few times. I transformed myself in the best leica seller of the world. I told them how nice is it and how well it works and even the way I work. One of them got my mail and asked me a few times about my M8 and how I shoot. I think that leica could offer me a nice job trying its products and talking about them.:D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A typical discussion will follow this pattern - I guess you can fill in the questions :D

"Yes, it is a digital camera."

"It is from 2007 but the concept is from 1954."

"I can share the lenses with this one, which takes film".

"No, the monitor stays dark, when taking a picture."

"I can set most of it, but I'm afraid you have to focus it yourself"

"By matching the two images in the little bright rectangle in the middle. It will catch everything in the inner/outer frame"

"One gets used to it. After some practice it's intuitive"

"Well, I guess I simply like the way it is operated and the way it takes pictures"

"I would rather start with a SLR, this is a rather specialized solution"

"It is not really that important, in the first go even a mobile phone can do. I have the feeling practice is more important than the camera"

"I guess one learns what one likes by taking pictures. This system seems to match the images I try to make best"

"Well, I'm still learning"

The last time the price of camera was guessed, the number was 800 Euros ("this is probably quite expensive")....

Wilfredo, sorry to hear about your experience.

Seems to me that every M shooter I have ever run into have been plesant enough, the collectors just won't stop talking about the specifics of the one of a kind lux they are using today.. the "street shooters" on the other hand is often a bit hurried..

My most memorable "encounter" was last October while stranded (:D) in Paris. Outside the Petit Palace a very pretty girl, on another man's arm, said to me, "love that beautiful camera!"

Other wise, I usually find 'talkers' merely interrupt my 'flow.' Problem is, I can't resist a good conversation so I often give in to it. Has resulted in some good images once engaged. I find Leicas are recognized more than I would have anticipated, at least here in Melbourne.

In my life I'm guilty of being subjective. Just normal I guess.

Of course, when I decide to be wise, my view on life and on the people surrounding me drastically changes and I suddenly become tolerant of anything. But I am guilty of shooting a dslr and looking extremely stupid during weddings. But at least I'm aware of it :)

I don't think that shooting with this or that kind of camera makes you stupid or dumb or else, as well as wearing a back pack. It is like driving one kind of car or another or drinking one brand of beer instead of a different one.

What I think is that stupid or dumb people is that way whether they shoot a RF or DSLR or else. I was not feeling stupid shooting a point-and-shoot and do not feel a genius now that I shoot an M8. I just take pictures.

Edited by epand56

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My most memorable "encounter" was last October while stranded (:D) in Paris. Outside the Petit Palace a very pretty girl, on another man's arm, said to me, "love that beautiful camera!"

My commiserations (;)) for being stranded in Paris and encountering a pretty girl. Life can be tough :)

Other wise, I usually find 'talkers' merely interrupt my 'flow.' Problem is, I can't resist a good conversation so I often give in to it. Has resulted in some good images once engaged. I find Leicas are recognized more than I would have anticipated, at least here in Melbourne.

Having the choice, I wouldn't miss out on a good conversation. One can always shoot later. I'm not sure, if it sharpens the view or improves hunter's luck, being in a good mood seems to improve pictures.

Stefan

Rarely had an encounter that resulted in a conversation, but generally at more exotic locations. Dawn at Angkor Wat - just imagine the hordes with Canikons and huuuuuuge zooooms on tripods - was the time a chat followed a "nice camera" opening. He knew what it was and the difference.

A week or so ago at a very low key local dog show a young lady of SEAsian origin looked up form her dog and said words to the effect of "Leica- how nice" - no chat - I was busy.

Like Bill, I'll chat if the body langauge is right, and I"m not absorbed in taking shots.

Whoever said it's about the people, not the camera, is right. There's times when I'm doing my thing and I don't want to be disturbed, I just want to concentrate on what I'm exploring. And then there's times when I'm just casually taking pictures - which doesn't happen that often.

I think photographers are a little too obsessed about how others view them depending on what kit they have. I have a gaffer-tape covered 5DII which is my main camera and I get more attention than the camera - unless I'm in a pub and people often remark how battered the camera is (which it isn't). I'm thinking of doing much the same to the M8 when it arrives but I'll see. I don't feel any difference in attention between when I carry an F3, a G2 or a 5D, to be honest, it's more down to how I carry myself and behave that draws attention to me.

Conversation is usually welcome, but not when it's a long drawn-out comparison of cameras, there's more to talk about, surely :) Save that stuff for the evening, in the pub, with a few beers...

In Moscow, EVERYONE assumes a Leica M is deyadushka's old Fed. Never once has my camera been visually fondled :) And I'm totally ignored.

Now if you are happy with that, you know you are free of the curse of male jewellery.

I often get strangers come up to me when out and about with my M3. Usually it is the nostalgia theme and I leave them somewhat speechless when I pose the question, "Do you still possess any consumer goods from the 1960s which still work flawlessly today?" I know there are even older models still keeping photographers happy but it does make the rare point of longevity.

Last month I spent half and hour trying to shoot some pictures with my M8 of a BBC TV period drama being filmed in a local village. (A forthcoming Christmas special). Viewing space was extremely limited. Suddenly a lady armed with a very serious DSLR camera turned to me and said, "That's a very quiet shutter. Oh, it's a Leica." I thanked her and told her that it was not quite as quiet as my old M3. No time for further talk as the next TV scene was about to be shot.

Suddenly a lady armed with a very serious DSLR camera turned to me and said, "That's a very quiet shutter. Oh, it's a Leica." I thanked her and told her that it was not quite as quiet as my old M3. No time for further talk as the next TV scene was about to be shot.

She really thought the M8 is quiet?

Last month I spent half and hour trying to shoot some pictures with my M8 of a BBC TV period drama being filmed in a local village. (A forthcoming Christmas special). Viewing space was extremely limited. Suddenly a lady armed with a very serious DSLR camera turned to me and said, "That's a very quiet shutter. Oh, it's a Leica." I thanked her and told her that it was not quite as quiet as my old M3. No time for further talk as the next TV scene was about to be shot.

Old clunky M8 shutter or new M8u / M8.2 version?

Old clunky M8 shutter or new M8u / M8.2 version?

One evening at a Jazz concert, the only silent camera was my M8 with its clunky shutter.

The DSLRs shutters were like pistol shots if compared. I could take much more pictures than them and much closer.

Pharyngula,

I wouldn't worry too much about being noticed, most people are much more impressed with big, black DSLRs. I've found the M8 to be almost as invisible as a point-and-shoot. As others have commented here, when you do get a reaction -- whether it be positive or negative -- it can almost always be attributed to that individual's personality. After all, it's just a tool.

Larry

one thing I always notice and laugh at is that I saw many DSLR shooters with their long zoom lens on, the objects that they were taken were from a far distance, but they were using the little built in pop up flash when taking the shots.

DL

At a recent wedding of a family member, the contracted photographer and his assistants were blasting away with Nikon DSLR equipment to capture every angle and framing. I took a few shots for myself and in the process the crew saw my M8 which they quickly acknowledged with nods of approval. It was nice to have the camera recognized by people who know good equipment. Mostly the general public has no idea that my old looking camera is even a digital, which is fine with me.

I was photographing an event along with photographers using Nikon and Canon equipment and when the photos were posted the difference was striking :D

Yeah, but that had nothing to do with the camera and everything to do with talent, timing and framing, right? Otherwise........I call B/S.