I love my M5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Forgotten Kodachrome of some decades ago

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M5 with Summicron 35mm

Place de la Concorde, Paris

• Like 7

Hi Hektor

Thank you for the advise.

Came along a 90/2.8 “FAT” TELE-ELMARIT today in good condition.

This compact 90 mm is very tempting.

But let’s first see the results of the test shooting.

Grtz Bruno

Dear Bruno, did you buy the "fat" Tele-Elmarit 1:2.8/90?

Edited by hektor
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

M5 recently serviced and repaired by Cameraworks

+

35mm Summilux FLE recently serviced and repaired by Leica

=

No excuse not to get out there and try to use up the eight rolls of Delta 400 I've had for six months

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/22/2018 at 1:33 AM, hektor said:

Dear Bruno, did you buy the "fat" Tele-Elmarit 1:2.8/90?

Hello

Finally I picked the little “fatty” up yesterday. Went shooting my first testfilm today. Will show the result once developed later this week if satisfactory 😉

Snapshot:

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

my favorite leica

• Like 10

• jaapv pinned and unpinned this topic

After a long break using my M2,3,4,6 I finally got back to shooting my M5 while comparing different film types. Again it impressed me that the M5 is the most refined Leica M camera; a true joy to use. I passed over the M5 when it came out, based on the negative comments about its size and looks, but I got a CL and loved the meter, which was based on the M5 concept.The longer, squared-off body feels better in the Mr.Zhou half case, and the case thickness makes the grip proportions better, so it doesn't feel so long. I find the advance action feels more precise than my other Ms. While the shutter release has more travel (to gradually lower the meter cell arm before the shutter trips), adding the small soft release button gives it a great feel, and the shutter seems quieter than the other M cameras as well (the half-case may help that too).

Overall it feels like the best built and most precise film M.

• Like 5

I am traveling around the world this fall for 4-6 months and have been thinking about taking my M5 as a backup for my MP240.  Now I am trying to travel super light using just carry on so I have given some thought to trading the M5 toward an M4 or M2.  I had not used my M5 in awhile so I pulled it out and shot for a day.  I changed my mind.  Although it is heavier then the classic Leica's, it features still make it the best shooter.

My backup is going to be a Ricoh GR3 which weighs 8 ounces (with lens).

• 1 month later...

The film Leica CL was my first Leica back in 1975.  I used it for a few years and then traded it for an M3.  I really did not know much about the Leica system having used a pair of Nikon F's to pay my way through college and for a few years as a photojournalist.  I never got on much with the M3 preferring the .72 viewfinder falling in love with the M2.  Today, either the M2 or M4 is my favorite "classic" Leica.  I only acquired an M5 two years ago and have come to believe it is the best shooter if you want a meter.

For my trip around the world later this fall, I am trying to travel with just a carry on bag and a small Hadley for the camera gear.  Since I want to write and photograph for a blog, digital is the way to go.  I will be taking my MP240 with 25/50/90 and a FujiX100F.  If push comes to shove and I only take one camera, it will be the X100F.  It really is the best small camera out there and the 35 FOV lens makes lens selection easy.  However, I really enjoy the M system both digital and film.

In another thread on this forum, someone commented that the only reason to buy Leica cameras is so you can use Leica lenses.  I could not disagree more as I buy Leica cameras for the viewfinder while owning Leica, Zeiss and Voightlander lenses depending on rendering, size, focal length and f/stop.  If I could drive around the world, I would take EVERYTHING.

Edited by ktmrider2
add comment

• 1 month later...

Hello, 

Here is my beloved M5 🙂

"Oxford Street looking west"  Leica M5 and Summicron-M 1:2/35 (II):

Edited by hektor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hektor said:

Dear Blueskyoveraquatic, I am interested in why you are using lenses other than those from Leitz.

Hello Hektor,

I have used Leica lenses on my M5.  For this photo, my Leica lenses were mounted on other cameras, and they were not included in this photograph :-)!  I collect vintage lenses.  The two vintage lenses in this photo are 1951 Canon 50mm f/1.4 and 1957 Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5.  Each lens has its own characters, and I have enjoyed them all.  Among my vintage lenses, I like Leica and Zeiss more than I do for other lenses :-)!