I love my M5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have seven M mount lenses along with an M5 and MP240.  Of the seven, three are Leitz made but they don't make a 35f1.2 nor do they make a 35 as sharp as the 35f2.8 C-Biogon.  Guess what I am saying is that only putting one manufacturer's lenses on an M is just too limiting.  And I also own cameras that don't say Leica.

• Like 3

By the way, I may not be posting on the "I Love the M5" thread for awhile.  I just swapped my M5 to a friend for his M2.  I sold him the M2 two years ago (his first Leica) and have missed it ever since.  The M2 and M4 are my favorite classic Leicas but the M5 was great as well.  He wanted to try the M5 and I was happy to get the M2 back.  We have not decided if the swap is permanent or just for a few months.  I just have a hard time justifying more then one film body since I also have a MP240 which gets as much or more use.

Edited by ktmrider2

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my M5 🙂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

my M5 with a version ll 35/1.4 Summilux still my favorite M camera

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

• Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just developed my first roll of film put through my M5. I was using a C90/4 lens with a red filter. Wonderful ! With my M3 I have to make calculations for the red filter,not with the M5 with its TTL metering.

I have arrived at my perfect rangefinder . The M3 will be sold.

• Like 2

Dear Hektor,

Yep you are right the red filter was not the best idea; some shots were poor a few were good but none stood out! Also,this may be heresy, I have never got the better of Kodak Trix400. My next film will be Rollei 200 or 400. 

I developed Tri x in Rodinal 1-50 @ 13  mins. I usually develop Stand method but Kodak ,I feel, doesn't respond well,so I went conventional. With Rollei or Fomapan I get good results using Stand development .

The M5 is a beautiful camera so I will persevere .

Another photographer sees the light.  About six months ago, I traded my M5 to a friend for his M2 with the understanding that we would switch back after he had a chance to try the M5 for an extended period.  I enjoy both the M2 and M5 about equally and planned on using my MP240 for an extended trip to Asia.  Communicating with Jason while In Asia I was prepared to swap cameras with him when I returned to the US and actually had the M2 packed and ready to mail when I get a message that the M5 is just so easy to use and that except for its size, he preferred it over the M2.

So, another photographer has come to prefer the M5 for film (and the other camera he carries is a Rollie) so size is not the deciding issue.  I guess I will just suffer with the M2 for awhile (favorite of the classic M's as the viewfinder is the BEST).  So, maybe I will be searching for a second film Leica in the near future.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mann61 said:

Dear Hektor,

Yep you are right the red filter was not the best idea; some shots were poor a few were good but none stood out! Also,this may be heresy, I have never got the better of Kodak Trix400. My next film will be Rollei 200 or 400. 

I developed Tri x in Rodinal 1-50 @ 13  mins. I usually develop Stand method but Kodak ,I feel, doesn't respond well,so I went conventional. With Rollei or Fomapan I get good results using Stand development .

The M5 is a beautiful camera so I will persevere .

Dear Mann61,  I never liked Tri-X and tried every combination and permutation recommended by Ansel Adams.  On the other hand I am pleased with Kodak T-Max 400-2 which I overexpose by half a stop.  For many years I developed it in XTOL, however in recent years and following the advice of Erwin Puts now use Adox FX-39 II.  The results are excellent, with a long tonal scale and exceptionally fine grain for a film of that speed.

• Like 1

Goodonya hektor...that's what we want...long tonal scale and fine grain for fast (ish) film...should be the mantra of all film users.

I like Adams too...pity he's been overamped by so many. It's worth reading deeply on Adams...loved all his books...rather good with prose also.

PS personally i am an Ilford FP4  person...and its many iterations. 

Edited by david strachan
just to be clear

I'm another who never really loved Tri-X. Always found it to be too course and contrasty for my tastes. Have you guys tried Delta 400? I only really 'discovered' it a couple of years ago, and it's easily my favourite film now. Really lovely tones, and fine grain.

I like Fomapan (100 & 400) for scanning as it lays flatter (Epson 850) and so seems sharper across the frame. The 400 is interesting in that its anti-halation is not too effective, so light sources really glow. For Foma 400, HP5 & TriX I find DD-X controls grain well.

But we've gotten way off topic of M5...

18 hours ago, david strachan said:

PS personally i am an Ilford FP4  person...and its many iterations. 

Agree Dave, particularly with a yellow filter.  Again overexposed slightly and developed in Adox FX-39 II

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Here is my M5 with Canon 50mm f1.8 lens with his two friends.

My M5 was cheap because it's looks are not pristine, but the M5 works great
It's my first Leica and is so super easy to use, for me the big plus is the lightmeter.

Greets 

Frank

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I love M5 with Triplet Elmar 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello, welcome here Naimad.

What exactly do you mean "light meter bar" ?

In the M5's VF, we must always see the bottom part, like this.

The other "view" depending on the lens mounted .

in this Xray view, we can have better idea what's inside the M5

meter galvanometer at top right

• Thanks 1