35 Summicron IV and Nocti OR...

rondeb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

35 Summilux Asph and 50 Summilux Asph?

I have the former pair and I'm even wondering if this would be an interesting straight-up trade?

I love the Summicron and the Noctilux, but I am a sucker for sharp, sharp, sharp.

Any thoughts, recommendations would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

The trade you propose would be to your financial detriment. A noct is $4-5K, a 35/IV is $1K, the two asph lenses are about $4-4.5K on the used market combined. This puts you down $1.5K, so I'd be really sure before proposing such a trade.

I would recommend a rental first.

The 35 asph will give an advantage in sharpness in the corners. Does that matter for your style of shooting?

The 50 asph is much quicker to work with than the Noct, but doesn't have the trademark Noct bokeh.

Personally, I'd hang on to what you have and save up for the others when opportunity presents itself. The economy is starting to generate some bargains.

Eric

hmm. So the 35 Summilux Asph. will only help me out in the corners? I thought differently. The Nocti is definitely special, but I don't love how slow it is to focus - I do shoot alot of portraits and need to fine focus frequently.

Thanks,

Ron

Ron, Keep the combination that you already have. I have the same and absolutely love the sharpness and crisp details these lenses render. I actually find that my summiluxes are better than my summicrons (35&50) . I had a noctilux, but found that it had limited use for me. Even though I lost 1 f -stop, I gained so much in sharpness that I did not regret my decision. If you feel that you have "a need for speed" save your money and buy the f0.95 asph., but keep the two summiluxes as well.

Rusell

Edited by russell c. greenberg
Russell, not Rusell

Ron, Keep the combination that you already have. I have the same and absolutely love the sharpness and crisp details these lenses render.

Rusell

Thanks Rusell, but I think you have it backwards? I do NOT have the Summilux 35 and 50. I have the former. The sharpness you're talking about is why I am so tempted.

Best,

Ron

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is no lens made by anyone or of any focal length sharper then the 50 Lux ASPH.

Not sure the 35 Lux ASPH is sharper then the current 35 Cron ASPH or the V 4 Cron.

I'd agree with Shootist on the first statement. Can't comment on the second one as I only own the 35 Lux, which I find almost as sharp as my 50 Lux.

But I'd definitely keep the Nocti: I recently bought a used one and, yes it's heavy, yes it's slow and hard to focus, but when you manage to get everything right you get some unique images.

I so regret selling my Nocti 2 years ago. Keep what you have or else you will regret it later. the 35 cron is a great lens and I found it sharper than my 35 Lux ASPH. I have the 50 Lux ASPH now and find it too sharp! I prefer the creamier/smoother look. If it were me, and I have had all the lenses you mention. I would keep what you have. USED Nocti's are $5k for the latest versions and only will go up later on also.

Ron, given that you like to do a lot of portraits, the Summicron IV and Noctilux are more in tune with this usage than the Summiluxes, I think. Having both sets surely would be great, and also greatly expensive! I don't have either of those 50's, though I do have the 35 Summilux ASPH and a 35 Summicron Type 1... of course these latter two are quite different.

I use a number of 50s and 35s, including most mentioned here. The Noctilux is the last 50 I would give up. It is unique and irreplaceable. The 50 ASPH is a wonderful lens but too sharp for portraits and I think the pre-ASPH is a better lens for that application. Many like the last pre-ASPH Summilux, personally I like the v.2.

My 35s are an f2 v.1, f2 ASPH, and f1.4 ASPH. The v.1 is probably close to your v.4, I personally love the look of this lens and it is built like a brick. The Summicron ASPH is the sharpest of the three and my normal carry-round lens. The Summilux ASPH is my favorite, it renders beautifully, although once again I think it is a bit too sharp for people. I'll attach a pic below as an example. Someone commented that this pic shows why you sometimes need softer lenses, and I agree.

In short I would keep what you have and consider an additional pre-ASPH 50.

hmm. So the 35 Summilux Asph. will only help me out in the corners? I thought differently. The Nocti is definitely special, but I don't love how slow it is to focus - I do shoot alot of portraits and need to fine focus frequently.

Thanks,

Ron

For your portrait work, my guess is that you would much prefer the 50 lux ASPH over the nocti, particularly since you like sharpness. I have both lenses and would not normally use the nocti for any portrait work unless it was just personal, as opposed to paying, work. You can soften an image that is too sharp a lot more easily than you can sharpen an image that is too soft.

Edited by fotografr