M8.2 vs. M8--Is It Worth It?

photolandscape

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As for the difference between the 2 models, all I can say as an original M8 user who had no reason or desire to upgrade frames, shutter, LCD glass or covering, the only issue (concern) I had was the long term reliability of my M8 which was coming towards the end of it's warranty life. This concern was based on 2 trips back for sensor line problems within 4 months, the mandatory update for 1st generation M8's and a couple of other issues not to mention reports of shutter failures. In almost 2 years I lost use of my camera for 5-6 months due to various issues.

Enter the M8.2, the first impression I had from memory was it felt more solid, stronger even. I don't know if this sense of strength was somehow related to the lower vibration shutter but somehow in the hand it just felt more solid.

I remember thinking to my self 'these guys are kidding themselves if they really think there is that much of a difference in the shutter noise. Not that I ever had an issue with the sound but I still think there is very little difference.

The delayed shutter re-cock feature is nice, but I have yet to be in a situation where I actually need to use it. The loss of 1/8000 only reared it's head when I was in Thailand over Christmas, a couple of times the 4000 started to flash in the viewfinder. But a quick adjustment of the aperture quickly corrected the exposure without much fuss or detrimental effect on my "creative flair" :) for the image.

The frame lines seem more accurate, however I can't comment on the huge inaccuracy of the old 75 frames compared to the M8.2's 75 frames as I no longer have a 75 Summicron. However I remember just cropping out the excess and having plenty of latitude to do so. But it is refreshing to compose and not be presented with any unexpected elements in post processing now.

I find the exposure meter to be more accurate, I no longer need to dial in -1/3 as a default any longer. The added function-ability to change the exposure compensation on the fly without having to take the camera from the eye is nice for sure. I've yet to master full manual exposure and doubt I ever will.

The covering is nicer, more grip for sure, but a bit of a mute point seeing as I use a Luigi half case 90% of the time. And as for focus accuracy with my lenses, I'm convinced it's spot on with them all at every aperture.

When all is said an done, I was very happy with my original M8 apart from the reliability concerns and time lost due to problems requiring trips to Solms. It was replaced for a M8.2 with full warranty 4 months ago and since then I've had absolutely no issues (touch wood). I do actually think the M8.2 feels more "polished", better than the old, yet it's still the same.

If I was in a position today to buy one over the other knowing what I know now it would be a hard call. I paid €3500 for my M8 back in 06, I'm guessing you can buy this camera new today for €3000 as opposed to €5000 for the M8.2. I think what I'd do is buy a M8.2 from the UK for £3800 (€4200) and know I've spent more than I needed but not as much as I could have. However if you place more or less importance on the added features of the M8.2 than you'll have to make up your own mind.

At this point in time, I'm of the opinion that entry into a new M8 system with a couple of good lenses has become outrageously expensive. There is relatively good value in the UK at the moment with 15% off lenses and £2350 (€2600) for a M8. Add the benefit of full Leica UK 2 year passport warranty which covers accidental damage as well and you're ahead of the game IMO. ;)

The delayed cooking is important. it permits me to get away with shooting on sound stages and wind after the "cut", one can also hide the camera behind a coat to muffle the sound not to get in trouble with the sound engineer. BTW. the D-lux4 with black tape over the focus light is also incredible quiet and "set" friendly.

I believe there's a menu option to turn off the focus light on the D-Lux - so no black tape needed!

Purchased a M8.2 after having used the M8 first generation for 2 years.

The positive improvements :

- definitively the new shutter (less vibration in my view), and the delayed shutter is great: you shoot with virtually no noise (less than with the M6 in my opinion) and then you drop down the camera and let the shutter recook. Nobody will notice that you took the picture! In quiet environment the advantage is really terrific, exactly the same feeling as with the M6 ("hey, did you shoot the picture? even if I already took 3 of them!).

- the framelines : now there are accurate and in line with the M6, except for very short distance whereby you have to be carreful since you capture actually less than what was within the framelines.

Less useful:

- glass : no difference; I do not think that it is a real advantage, may be after years of use...?

Bebert

....Enter the M8.2,....I remember thinking to my self 'these guys are kidding themselves if they really think there is that much of a difference in the shutter noise. Not that I ever had an issue with the sound but I still think there is very little difference......

Eoin - and others who share the above viewpoint; in the side by side test I described earlier of my M8 against a new M8-2 I was immediately in no doubt that the sound [and vibration] difference would be significantly beneficial to me if I had an M8-2. The difference in opinions in this thread on the noise benefits make me wonder if in fact all M8s were equally noisy. Whilst that might not appear to make sense to some, it doesn't otherwise make sense to me that everyone doesn't share my perception of the M8-2 sound damping. The M8 raised many serious questions about Leica's Quality Control, maybe the M8 sound damping is another issue that slipped through the net because we didn't have a standard by test each M8's noise success or failure.

Rather than an M8 Original, I at least have an M8 - Light.

................. Chris

Chris, I will say that with the delayed re-cock there is a huge difference in amount of sound on shutter release compared to my original M8. But when the (my) M8.2 is left in normal shutter mode and brought to my right temple, I can't detect that much of a difference in the sound. Perhaps slightly quieter but, from my perception it's hardly worth talking about.

I do however notice less vibration in the camera during the shutter release and I think I eluded to this when I said it felt more solid.

I didn't have the chance to compare M8 v M8.2 side by side, only from memory.

- definitively the new shutter (less vibration in my view), and the delayed shutter is great: you shoot with virtually no noise (less than with the M6 in my opinion) and then you drop down the camera and let the shutter recook. Nobody will notice that you took the picture!

- the framelines : now there are accurate and in line with the M6, except for very short distance whereby you have to be carreful since you capture actually less than what was within the framelines.

Bebert

Bebert - pretty well exactly my experience - it always feels a bit odd for the first few frames when I go back to my M8U ...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Eoin - and others who share the above viewpoint; in the side by side test I described earlier of my M8 against a new M8-2 I was immediately in no doubt that the sound [and vibration] difference would be significantly beneficial to me if I had an M8-2. The difference in opinions in this thread on the noise benefits make me wonder if in fact all M8s were equally noisy. Whilst that might not appear to make sense to some, it doesn't otherwise make sense to me that everyone doesn't share my perception of the M8-2 sound damping. The M8 raised many serious questions about Leica's Quality Control, maybe the M8 sound damping is another issue that slipped through the net because we didn't have a standard by test each M8's noise success or failure.

Rather than an M8 Original, I at least have an M8 - Light.

................. Chris

Though I never tried the M8.2, and did not receive yet my M8 back from upgrade, previous discussions indeed suggest that such a difference exists. Using my M8 it is literally impossible to hold the camera sturdy even at 1/24s. I never had stability issues with any other camera (I often use my film Ms and my 5D at 1/4s and get very sharp images). So I believe, there is a reason to assume that different original M8 are very different in their shutter.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jvansmit

My impressions after 2 years almost daily use with the M8, and one weekend with the 8.2:

- love the new shutter as I do a lot of street shooting with wide angles lenses, sometimes in 'dubious areas', and like to get really close to sublects. My M8 sounded like a cannon by comparison. This is the main reason that I bought the 8.2 instead of another M8.

- the new framelines are really welcome (next to useless on my old M8 so rarely bothered with them)

- hate the S mode. It seems pointless, even stupid to me, and too easy to inadvertently switch on instead of A in poor light or working quickly.

- I miss 1/8000 as I sometimes shoot in daylight with a Nocti and Canon f0.95

- the new covering feels slippery to me (could be Hong Kong's humidity and my sweaty hands though !)

- might be my imagination but overall construction seems more solid? The baseplate on my old M8 was never a tight fit.

- crystal display is also great as my last was getting quite scruffy

- appreciate the slightly stealthier look

I bought an M8.2 about a month ago and before that have used 2 M8s for about 18 months. I couldn't hear a big difference in shutter sound at the dealers even with the delay engaged but after a month of use I'm sure its significantly quieter.

The biggest surprise (positive) was the lower shutter vibration. I can definately handhold at slower speeds. Considering the cost of moving from a f2 to f1.4 lenses the shutter vibration issue alone is worth the cost of the upgrade to the M8.2 to me.

My old user M8 LCD screen had tiny scratch marks. I appreciate the new scratch free screen.

I personally dislike the new black body compared to the old more matte black so I bought a chrome model. I had to get over feeling a bit twee but I like it a lot now. I think people actually pay less attention to it than my black one. So many people say the cliche that the black camera somehow is less noticeable but I think people find black intimidating. The chrome looks so retro that I find people find it more benign and ignore me. Nothing provable, nothing worth arguing about... my biggest photographic problems are not about people noticing me.

I never had a problem with the grippiness of the old covering and don't find the new material any better nor worse.

The framelines are a huge improvement as I tend to shoot landscapes (urban). It's not up to DSLR levels but I more or less know now what the image will look like instead of the informed-hunch-and-a-prayer method I used to use.

I find the EV changing using the wheel with eye at the camera awkward but I'll get better at it with time. I've not used and don't intend to use the "S" mode and find it amazing that Leica included it.

The only change to the camera that materially affects the quality of my images is the ability to handhold the camera at slower speeds without signs of shake. And for me that's worth it as mentioned. YMMV.