"Do you know the world ?" -- Competition --

T00m

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Very interisting building, I think it is called a quadrifons. I hve never seen one quite loike this, I guess it was heavily decorated in the barroque, although the first picture you posted made me think it was modernist with those beautiful oval decorations.

Anyway, is it from your trip to Puglua, Otto?

Yes, it is from my trip to Puglia indeed. It amazes me how little it seems to be known in the LUF where I've been. There are some notorious travellers here around I'd say.

This city will be the cultural capital of Europe in the not to near future.

The building was indeed renovated, seems not so long ago

Edited by otto.f

Yes it is Lecce, gdb. If I remember correct it is a Roman amfitheater, there are even two of them in this little town, which is also known as 'the Florence of Southern Italy' which is not overstated.

Congrats, over to you!

Thank you Otto,

I'm sorry to react so late, I wasn't really sure of my guess. So where are we now ?

Cheers

Gérard

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I agree with Michael. We toured over there from the UK in our VW campervan a couple of years ago. There is a treacherous road down through the cliff with a wicked bend that brings traffic to a complete standstill.

A beautiful part of France. So much to see on such a grand scale!

James

Yes Michael, it is Rocamadour. In the middle of the picture, you can see a church, actually a cathedral, built against the cliff. In this cathedral, there is a "black" Virgin (une Vierge Noire) who inspired composer Francis Poulenc to write "Les Litanies à la Notre-Dame de Rocamadour", beautiful a cappella pieces. A few years ago, when I shot this picture, I had the honor and the joy of giving a piano recital in this cathedral to raise money and help the restoration of the organ. Together with Bach and Schubert's last sonata, I performed a beautiful transcription of Schubert's Ave Maria by Franz Liszt. It was really the right place to play this piece of music.

Your turn !

Gérard

• Like 2

Yes Michael, it is Rocamadour. In the middle of the picture, you can see a church, actually a cathedral, built against the cliff. In this cathedral, there is a "black" Virgin (une Vierge Noire) who inspired composer Francis Poulenc to write "Les Litanies à la Notre-Dame de Rocamadour", beautiful a cappella pieces. A few years ago, when I shot this picture, I had the honor and the joy of giving a piano recital in this cathedral to raise money and help the restoration of the organ. Together with Bach and Schubert's last sonata, I performed a beautiful transcription of Schubert's Ave Maria by Franz Liszt. It was really the right place to play this piece of music.

Gérard,

What a wonderful story. I remember fondly the Black Madonna and the Cathedral, and the almost vertical town of great charm. What a treat for you to be able to give something significant.

This next picture is likely an easy find for many. Not only would the city be good, but the building should be easy – if you get the building, you have the city.

Félicitations.

When we visited there were two guided tours available - the first went through the beautiful state rooms with their Tintorettos. The second (which we took) started with the administrative part of the building with its jail (and a cell that once housed Casanova), the Bridge of Sighs and offices. That tour also went through the state apartments towards the end. To anyone thinking of visiting Venice, the Doge's Palace and this more in-depth tour should be a priority.

I had done both tours. Even if you know about this monument, being inside the Palazzo Dogale is something unforgettable...

How about this building ?

Gérard

• Like 1

Well, this picture was not a riddle. I just wanted to show Michael another building in venetian style. This particular building is not in Italy, but in Alexandria, Egypt. It was built by a wealthy Englishman in the cotton industry, for whom my father used to work, and the whole building was this man's office.

But where are we now, to resume the game ?

Gérard

• Like 2