Do you know the Simeras?

wolan

Around US$700, 14 blades, close-up to 1.5 feet/1.4 feet. All glass elements. Very interesting lenses(28mm/35mm).

I'm considering to give it a trial and see if it fits me well.

FYR.

PetaPixel Review...

https://petapixel.com/2023/10/26/new-lens-maker-thypochs-debut-m-mount-lenses-are-now-on-sale/

New Lens Review - Thypoch Simera 35mm f/1.4 By Andrew Brestansky on Youtube

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

They might be $699 in the USA but from the three UK-based dealers mentioned in the 'Find a Dealer' drop-down box the only company actually listing them (for pre-order) has them costing £698.40. That's $856 at today's exchange rate.

Interesting lenses, though.

Philip.

• Like 1

I'm most interested in the 28/1.4, as my only lens with those specs currently is the 7artisans 28/1.4. There isn't any performance information about the lens presently, but the lens design looks similar to the 7artisans and Leica 28/1.4s. It seems a fair bit smaller than the oversized 7artisans one, about the size of a Zeiss 50/2.0 planar.

The 35mm looks nice, but already having the much smaller Voigtlander 35/1.5 and 35/1.4, I can't imagine circumstances where I would bring so much larger of a lens.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Very intriguing is the sample Leica with dot engraving on the upper left side.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 11/13/2023 at 2:02 PM, Ecar said:

The DOF indicator à la Alpa is nice.

It is very nice but the dust, debris, dirt, moisture of rain/condensation and pieces of skin being sucked into those holes give me the chills...
Kern Paillard lenses have had them originally - for Alpa mount (Macro-Switars), Bolex in C-mount (Switars, Yvars)...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown

44 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

pieces of skin being sucked into those holes give me the chills...

Mmm... not sure we use our lenses in the same manner or for the same purpose...😉🤣

Jokes aside, I'm no expert but these lenses have been around for decades in professional use and their construction must provide for some kind of protection of their innards. FWIW, I have a couple of Switars and had them CLA'd with no particular observation from the technician. No idea about how the Simeras are built, though.

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, wolan said:

Question for the MTF experts: How sharp is the Simera 28mm f1.4 compared with Leica 28mm f2 ASPH?

https://thypoch.com (MTFs at the bottom of the page)

https://leica-camera.com/sites/default/files/pm-55613-Datenblatt_Summicron-M 2_28mm_e_0.pdf 

Thanks

It’s not particularly easy to draw a comparison because the graphs are not entirely equivalent -

The Leica is measuring contrast at 5, 10, 20, and 40 LP per mm, the Typoch at 10 and 30.

Wide open, looking at the 10 LP per mm, which would indicate contrast for large scale edges- not fine detail, on axis they are close, but the Leica holds out to the edges, the Typoch drops off significantly.

Using either the 20 or 40 of the Leica compared to the 30 of the Typoch, the Leica is better on axis and far better off.

Edited by mdg1371
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Since I'm still looking for "my" 35mm, I gave the Simera a go. At the moment, I'm using a Summicron ASPH, which is great, but I actually didn't want to spend that much money. And it doesn't partner to well with my old 50 Summilux V2, lookwise. So the Simera seems very attractive.

Let's start with the rather irrelevant things. The lens looks and feels fantastic. I got the silver version and it looks absolutely gorgeous on my silver M10. Especially the two tone silver is quite a treat to the eyes. The aperture ring is smooth, but the clicks could be more prominent. Especially since the switch from 1/3 stops to 1/2 stops to full stops takes some getting used to. The focus ring seems a bit hard to move, but this actually helps with minor focus adjustments. Two "features" are instanly annoying to me. There is a light click when you reach 0.7m to remind you that you're leaving the rangefinder focus area. This maks precise focussing in that area a bit of a hassle. At the infinity end, the focus ring gets locked in place, so once you focussed to infinity, you have to unlock it befor you can got back.

So moving on to image quality. I tested against my Summicron at F/2 and f/4 with an extra image at F/1.4 for the Simera. The wide open images are great. They actually have a kind of vintage look that goes very well with my old Summilux 50. There is no glow, but the sharpness falloff and the somewhat washed out colours look pretty nice. It's quite sharp even wide open and the vignetting is nothing to worry about. So very usable.
At F/2, sharpness is pretty close to the Summicron. Only in the extreme corners the Summicron shows it's strength. At F/4, there is little difference regarding sharpness. Still, the images look very distinct at each aperture. The Simera renders very warm colours with a lot of green tint, the Summicron is much more neutral. Also, even at F/4, the colours from the Simera just don't pop as much. They still look somewhat washed out and undefinded in comparison to the Summicron. And there always is this Leica magic going on that separates the subject from the background in a unique manner. That something the Simera just doesn't, which makes the images a bit flat in direct comparison. But it can make up for that with it's F/1.4 aperture, which also give some great looking images.

So these were just my first impressions. It looks and feels really nice. It is much larger but still lighter than my silver Summicron. Build quality is top notch with some quirks that need getting used to. Sharpness is good wide open and great closed down a bit. I like the vintage look of the Simera wide open and think it would go very well with the look of my Summilux 50. I'm not so happy with how it renders the colours when closing the aperture.

So overall, it seems to be great value for the money. I'm just not sure if it will replace the Summicron. The Summicron is small, unobstrusive and just delivers every time I use it. Basically, the only problem I have with it is the price. On the other hand, the used price seems to be very stable, while the Simera will probably loose me a lot of money if I don't keep it in the end, despite it being really great value. I'll have to shoot some portrait with it to see how it renders skin tones. But after the first impressions, I don't think it'll be a keeper. There is a lot to like, but the colour rendering is probably the deal breaker for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Almizilero said:

Since I'm still looking for "my" 35mm, I gave the Simera a go. At the moment, I'm using a Summicron ASPH, which is great, but I actually didn't want to spend that much money. And it doesn't partner to well with my old 50 Summilux V2, lookwise. So the Simera seems very attractive.

Let's start with the rather irrelevant things. The lens looks and feels fantastic. I got the silver version and it looks absolutely gorgeous on my silver M10. Especially the two tone silver is quite a treat to the eyes. The aperture ring is smooth, but the clicks could be more prominent. Especially since the switch from 1/3 stops to 1/2 stops to full stops takes some getting used to. The focus ring seems a bit hard to move, but this actually helps with minor focus adjustments. Two "features" are instanly annoying to me. There is a light click when you reach 0.7m to remind you that you're leaving the rangefinder focus area. This maks precise focussing in that area a bit of a hassle. At the infinity end, the focus ring gets locked in place, so once you focussed to infinity, you have to unlock it befor you can got back.

So moving on to image quality. I tested against my Summicron at F/2 and f/4 with an extra image at F/1.4 for the Simera. The wide open images are great. They actually have a kind of vintage look that goes very well with my old Summilux 50. There is no glow, but the sharpness falloff and the somewhat washed out colours look pretty nice. It's quite sharp even wide open and the vignetting is nothing to worry about. So very usable.
At F/2, sharpness is pretty close to the Summicron. Only in the extreme corners the Summicron shows it's strength. At F/4, there is little difference regarding sharpness. Still, the images look very distinct at each aperture. The Simera renders very warm colours with a lot of green tint, the Summicron is much more neutral. Also, even at F/4, the colours from the Simera just don't pop as much. They still look somewhat washed out and undefinded in comparison to the Summicron. And there always is this Leica magic going on that separates the subject from the background in a unique manner. That something the Simera just doesn't, which makes the images a bit flat in direct comparison. But it can make up for that with it's F/1.4 aperture, which also give some great looking images.

So these were just my first impressions. It looks and feels really nice. It is much larger but still lighter than my silver Summicron. Build quality is top notch with some quirks that need getting used to. Sharpness is good wide open and great closed down a bit. I like the vintage look of the Simera wide open and think it would go very well with the look of my Summilux 50. I'm not so happy with how it renders the colours when closing the aperture.

So overall, it seems to be great value for the money. I'm just not sure if it will replace the Summicron. The Summicron is small, unobstrusive and just delivers every time I use it. Basically, the only problem I have with it is the price. On the other hand, the used price seems to be very stable, while the Simera will probably loose me a lot of money if I don't keep it in the end, despite it being really great value. I'll have to shoot some portrait with it to see how it renders skin tones. But after the first impressions, I don't think it'll be a keeper. There is a lot to like, but the colour rendering is probably the deal breaker for me.

Post some wide open close and infinity pictures.

29 minutes ago, Almizilero said:

Don't have infinity shots, these two should be kinda close to 0.7. Didn't do anything closer, just rangefinder usage...

Thanks for posting the photos. Is it just me looking in the wrong place(s) or is the lens back-focussing slightly? I'm not sure what were your focus points. I do like the rendering.

Unfortunately the price for these lenses here in the UK has taken a hike from what was already a mark far higher than the going rate in the USA. Having just checked using today's exchange rate instead of the $699 these things go for in the States in Britain we'd have to hand over the equivalent of $960!!!

Somehow, at that price, I doubt Thypoch will get very many UK sales...

Philip.

• Like 1

I've been looking at this Thypoch lens along with a Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 and trying to decide between the 2.  The only negative I read about the Voigtlander is the mid-frame falloff.  The Thypoch seems like it doesn't have that falloff, but there can be other issues both with IQ and the ergonomics, mainly the focusing lock, lack of a true focusing tab (I love focusing tabs) and the aperture ring click stops.

I haven't seen a really detailed review of the Thypoch yet, but hope too soon.