To restore or not to restore...

Hi,

I think cars are rather different to cameras or antiques.

A car has to be safe/legal to drive first and foremost, and most people would prefer a shiny red Jaguar E type in excellent mechanical order to a rusty mouldy oil dripping wreck! But a restored car has to be done well, bodge the job or use non standard parts and again you will damage its value.

As for Leicas, the serious collectors will usually only buy mint unrestored examples or historically significant equipment which should show a genuine patina of use. Any restoration would be limited to the mechanics/optics so that it is functional.

Old furniture should also show signs of use otherwise you may as well buy repro. It should be well cared for rather than restored. Paintings are different again - restored they will be more valuable than if dirty or damaged.

Interesting question you have raised!

In his Leica collectors guide by Dennis Laney Hove editors, the author reach this question p33 : Originality :This is a very difficult area in wich personal choice is probably the main factor...

Generally speaking, collectors in USA and Japan tend to go for a very high standard of restoration. In Europe, on the other hand, they tend to prefer the item as found and restrict work on it to cleaning and maybe a mechanical service. On comparing the value of a 100% restored Leica I, for example, against the same camera in original condition, with fully original black paint, but showing signs of use, it would be found the one in original condition would command a higher price.

In his Leica collectors guide by Dennis Laney Hove editors, <snip>

On comparing the value of a 100% restored Leica I, for example, against the same camera in original condition, with fully original black paint, but showing signs of use, it would be found the one in original condition would command a higher price.[/i]

Good info, JC.

I am a different kind of collector. I also shoot with the cameras and lenses in my collection. Because of this I don't purchase mint gear but purchase the best I can to a price point. I guess I'm a shooter/collector. Even I would not consider restoring a Leica cosmetically. To me that destroys the beauty of the child as it grew to maturity. However a visit to the doctor from time to time to maintain perfect working condition is the proper course.

Len

Hi to everyone!

I love classic cars like as I love my classic leicas. Why a pristine restored Jaguar increase in value and a pristine restored Leica I decrease in value ? :confused:

What a philosophical question !.....:o

Regards,

Arturo

Restoring a old Leica not always decrases its value: for a "shooter-user" lile Len (and me, and many others) a model that works well having been mechanically restored has a value higher than an item of uncertain precision in the important details for using (shutter, rangefinder, cock-rewind etc...).

But the Leica I you quote is hard to be regarded as a user item (though many use it with pleasure) so originality of components (cover, paint, screws. knobs...) is more important than perfect functionality and "fine" appearance.

Trouble is a perfect one would then get kept indoors if it looked as though it was going to rain, snow or whatever. And I'd be frightened to use the thing for fear of damaging many, many hundreds of pounds worth of gear but my battered and serviced ones work the same and take the same lenses and pictures so what does it matter?

The print's the thing.

Just my 2d worth with regards, David

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If I had a black screw thread Leica off a old professional photographer for example with bad brassing and worn leather cloth.

It was probably a reliable servant, to do a factory fresh restoration would be wrong (to me).

The wear patterns speak volumes about what a leica can take and still not die, so why re-finish the camera? If it were the camera of a noted photographer the museum attitude these days is also to conserve but not over-restore.

I'm not a collector, but a user of sometimes moderately collectible gear. There is a world of difference between keeping a camera or lens in good working condition (or if necessary 'restore' it to it, maybe even with new shutter curtains) and doing purely cosmetic jobs. A used camera has a tale to tell.

And restoring a Rembrandt does not mean giving it a new coat of paint!

The old man from the Age of the Leica III

Hello

I have seen tis print for sale on ebay would it be worth restoring?

VINTAGE LEICA-AUFNAHME Nr.1353 DOM ZU WETZLAR SCHUYLER - eBay (item 130280300323 end time Jan-13-09 14:33:23 PST)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

There was a time in the UK when Rollei or the official Rollei repairer would totally repaint Rolleiflex bodies sent for overhaul/restoration. I cannot see any harm in this if it is /has been done well and to a professional standard. Nor can I see any harm in having a vintage Leica repainted professionally if it needs it especially as there are so many in rather poor repainted condition. As long as the original metal or engravings are not compromised then a professional repaint can improve a camera's appearance. However, if a vintage Leica has acquired a nice patina and wabi they can add to its charisma ... as distinct from a bad repaint job which IMO detracts from its charm.

Regarding vintage motor cars - it is quite acceptable to have them restored including paintwork and enthusiasts spend considerable sums on same. Similarly with vintage watches especially vintage Omega models which are regularly rebuilt/restored/refinished by Omega in Bienne.

So why not restore vintage cameras if they can benefit from same and if done by a reputable repair shop?

Cheers

dunk

JC,

Please, send me the M3....:)

Regards,

Arturo

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 3 weeks later...