Tool to restore old photos (scanned from films)

Many processing programs have tools to do so.  Even the rather inexpensive Photoshop Elements has some.  I use Elements but have not used those particular tools. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Posted (edited)

I tried photoshop neural filter. The face portion is very good, but not the overall picture. The face looks smooth and well focused, but the rest is blurring. It is also very slow on my machine (5 years old Windows i9, 32GB).

Edited by Einst_Stein

Compared Topaz Photo AI, filmlab, and photoshop neural filter.

Topaz Photo AI is the fastest among the three, the result is good. Filmlab is not stable, crashed. Photoshop neural filter only works on the face, but I guess it is because the beta version. Expect final release should be better. And more complete. 

The released version of photoshop would be the best choice since it would be free. Not sure when it would be released.

On 4/12/2024 at 3:55 AM, Einst_Stein said:

Photoshop neural filter only works on the face, but I guess it is because the beta version. Expect final release should be better. And more complete. 

The released version of photoshop would be the best choice since it would be free. Not sure when it would be released.

Photoshop's Neural Filter 'Restoration' works over the whole image to remove scratches and dust but there is a slider for only enhancing the face. I tested it by putting some bad scratches onto a photo by using Analog FX in Nik Suite and while it does pretty well at removing mild 'damage' and dust the remove tool is still needed for things the filter can't work out.

It has been a while, but on color film a scanner with ICE can make a big difference. It detects dust and scratches before they get processed. (Nikon scanners had a good solution)

This ICE function uses IR light and is therefor not usable for classic B&W emulsions. So for these, all the software suggestions above will be your only solution