Restoring a M3 beam splitter or installing a .85 finder

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just bought a M3 repaint refurbished last fall by Cameraworks-UK.  They are detailed listing all areas touched.  The finder and rangefinder were cleaned but no invoice mention of restoring/re-silvering the beam splitter.  

The finder and patch are very usable outside.  Look through the finder and you would not want for my M5.  In dim interior light its another story.  Fortunately I shoot entirely outside.  But I’m picky and wonder if sending the M3 to Cameraworks-UK for their finder restoration service would make a meaningful difference in shooting or eventual resale.  I kinda think it may not.  

Months ago I focused on acquiring a M3 after researching prices on TTL .85 bodies.  I’m partial to the top plate engravings which the newer TTL lacks.  

I’m happy with my purchase and plan to sell my M5, a few lenses and ride the very nice M3 into the sunset without experiencing finder whiteout.  😂

However, just curious, can you get a .85/finder installed on a M3.  I seem to recall DAG advising they are not available from Leica. 

15 hours ago, RDJ said:

But I’m picky and wonder if sending the M3 to Cameraworks-UK for their finder restoration service would make a meaningful difference in shooting or eventual resale.  I kinda think it may not.  

The simplest thing is to ask Cameraworks directly - they should be familiar with a recently serviced camera and be able to advise. But I imagine if they thought your camera needed this service (which is usually for RFs that have at least started to separate, is a complicated procedure, and is charged separately) they would have let you know at the time. I wouldn't swap out the rangefinder of a working M3 for something else unless there were no other option.

Youxin Ye responded to my question and said Leica does make available .85 finders but the wait time is over a year.  Also the M3 does not have a beam-splitter.  

My finder is not separated and was cleaned by Cameraworks. In bright outdoor light I can get some contrast reduction similar to looking through eye glasses that need a cleaning.  

My guess is the this M3 is what it is and can only benefit from having anti glare top plate windows installed.  I have read postings about how bright the M3 finder or patch is.  I don’t think you can expect the M3 to be as contrasty as the M5 which I have.  

That said in good light this M3 is fun to use and perfectly usable.  

50 minutes ago, RDJ said:

Youxin Ye responded to my question and said Leica does make available .85 finders but the wait time is over a year.  Also the M3 does not have a beam-splitter. 

Maybe he means the design changed, but the M3 clearly does have a beamsplitter:

https://www.cameraworks-uk.com/post/leica-rangefinder-rebuild-and-why-you-might-need-one

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M3s dressed up are beautiful objects.  I plan to contact camerawork-UK who restored the camera fall 2023.   

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by RDJ
Duplicate post
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, RDJ said:

M3s dressed up are beautiful objects.  I plan to contact camerawork-UK who restored the camera fall 2023.   

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Can I suggest you post a picture on the I love my M3 thread?  Cheers 😊