A Grand Prize for me and my M8

mikelc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...this last comment by shootist (can't figure out how to quote here...sorry) sums it up for me...we are in a new era of picture making and the digital darkroom on the computer gives one much more control than the chemical darkroom ever did and it's only the beginning...no one would say to an painter about a work that it was interesting but it takes away from the 'sketch' that started it

again not sure what even to call it...I don't lke post processing even because it sounds like just correcting a raw file rather than building a picture from it which is what i always feel i'm trying to do....what i like about the m8 files is how pure they are and how much info they give you to work with....but ultimately the bottom line is the final product...does it work or not?... if it doesnt than no amount of fancy 'pp' will matter...

mike

Mike Cetta | Fine Art Photographer

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SNIP again not sure what even to call it...I don't lke post processing even because it sounds like just correcting a raw file rather than building a picture from it which is what i always feel i'm trying to do....
after processing a RAW file is 'cooked' surely. So the process is cooking :D

MANIPULATION

I was talking to an artist the other day that felt guilty because she used PS to enhance some of her art work. I re-assured her that PS cannot replace talent and artistic vision. I don't like that word, MANIPULAION, it implies cheating of some sort. When people ask me if I manipulate a print I simply tell them that I do post-processing editing to achieve my own personal vision as Adam's did. The myth prevails that Anselm Adams miraculously got the prints he did, simply because he knew how to take a proper exposure.

Cheers,

Wilfredo

Benitez-Rivera Photography

The myth prevails that Anselm Adams miraculously got the prints he did, simply because he knew how to take a proper exposure.

Cheers,

Wilfredo

Benitez-Rivera Photography

I remember looking at some of Ansel Adam's original straight prints and the evolutionary process of print manipulation over time as part of the Ansel at 100 collection. What struck me was how relatively ordinary most of his original images were prior to his artistic print work. It was also interesting to notice how over time his printing of certain images became less subtle and more and more high contrast.

Ansel would be one of the first people in line to be producing 'manipulated' prints digitally. (if you want to use that term).

Btw Wilfredo - nice gallery - quite thought provoking.

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... Ansel Adam's ... also interesting to notice how over time his printing of certain images became less subtle and more and more high contrast ...

It's possible that this is the effect of the more modern lenses he used in his later career.

Wilfredo,

...pretty cool right?...stay with it cause it's a limitless tool for working with color

...also thanks to Brent? for giving me the tip for the Digital Photo Pro creativity contest. I submitted the pic and was informed yesterday that it was picked for the grand prize there as well..

mike

Wilfredo,

...pretty cool right?...stay with it cause it's a limitless tool for working with color

...also thanks to Brent? for giving me the tip for the Digital Photo Pro creativity contest. I submitted the pic and was informed yesterday that it was picked for the grand prize there as well..

mike

Mike,

That's great news!

mike

Mike--That's fantastic. Congratulations again, and well deserved. There are all sorts of contests out there and I have a feeling your image could win a bunch of them. Make sure you retain all your rights, but I'm guessing you already know that.

Cheers,

...was fortunate enough to win the grand prize for this shot from the Summer Streets photo competition run by nyc dot for the event from this past august...the shot was taken with the m8 and 35 mm cron...just showing off i guess and plug for this incredible camera

Thanks for posting!

I feel that I can't see your shot from all the "noise".

Best Regards

Henrik

Does that include the Bible Belt, Brad? :rolleyes:

Definitely so, Pete, fortunately or unfortunately. Just like everywhere else, there's a lot of hypocrisy there.

But the point is well taken. We do tend to be a bit schizophrenic as a nation.

Mike, the picture is a marvel. I'm not a fan of New York City, but your image makes me want to get up and go there.

Congratulations on the double-win!

And thanks for making us think. You've once again brought up the matter that E Puts, Newsweek, The Online Photographer and a lot of others have addressed: With digital, photography has changed. Our previous concept of photography is dead, though we're just beginning to see that.

Thanks for the post. You've got a lot to be proud of. Great eye, great talent, great craftsmanship!

Oh, and aren't you glad you don't live in a country that requires a model release from every recognizable person in the picture for it to be publishable? ;)

...Nevertheless, I disagree with the above generalization...

Bill Parsons, My response was not a generalization: the unique attribute of photography is that with it you can capture a moment of reality; a record of wherever you are that's real and belongs to you. You selectively press the shutter and it's done. For me that is where the satisfaction begins, and where the art (if art exists in photography at all) is created. Every other visual art form enables you to interpret your visual interests or awareness with hindsight, and the impact of interest, for everyone to enjoy and hopefully appreciate, is created at this later stage.

Hi, have you ever read the Ansel Adams books? His prints were the most manipulated darkroom prints I have ever heard about.

When I shot film, particularly Kodachrome printed onto Cibachrome in my darkroom, the amount of manipulation needed to get a print that was not rubbish was very time consuming and required years of experience to develop the skill. To get the look a photographer wants -any- manipulation of colour and contrast is fine by me. If I take issue with manipulation of photographs it is only where dishonest people add, subtract or heavily modify a photograph in order to mislead.

Hi frank_dernie,

No, I've never read Ansel Adams books but know something of his work. I never had much interest in the results he achieved with their often over-dramatic interpretation. One that always comes to mind is a shot of what I think were very vertical silver birch tree trunks with very white barks and dark background behind them. Far too contrasty and unrealistic looking for my taste. But by this I am not saying that I am right and everyone else is wrong, and as I said in my first post, that would be stupid. I'm just giving my opinion, which is what we all do on this forum, and the cross section of opinions on the forum is what makes reading here often very interesting, and sometimes even educational! We all do photography for our own reasons and all are equally valid.

I've also done Cibachrome printing in my darkroom, though usually from Fujichrome film, so I know how time consuming that can be. In the 90s all magazine colour work was done with transparency film, and before scanners this was the only way to keep some images before Red Staring the films to London. All conventional wet darkroom printing is slightly hit and miss anyway with the dodging and burning-in before the waiting time for the developed result. That was the only way to do things back then, and can't really be compared to the digital manipulation available today which takes the image into different territory altogether.

mike, thank you for posting your original 'straight' image; it's a very interesting capture. Your digitally manipulated version does give it something else and a 'difference' which would appeal to a larger audience including the majority of judges who would react to its striking digital impact. As I said in my earlier post, I actually like the result that you created, and this is my dilemma: the line is becoming further blurred between photography and other visual art forms. Results available from digital manipulation will capture a lot of people's interests and direct them to photography and this will be their reason and interest in photography. Others who have been doing photography for years might also take on this digital aspect and it become their main interest. There's nothing wrong with any of this.

...and Imants, I always enjoy your quips and occasional (I'm sure friendly) little digs at people on this forum. Your remarks are often very amusing and entertaining! Your pictures are interesting too...but so be it.:)

...and MIKE, Thanks.

Wow! I think I've now replied to everyone!

Jeffrey.