Special Limited Edition Noctilux-M

dfarkas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Could possibly be sharp enough to comply with the sharpness mania in vogue with a reasonable contrast and a good old bokeh, who knows? Leica can achieve this like they did with the 28/2 hopefully. Now 0.95 is a bit of a challenge i guess...

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So that's the end of the Noctilux. Let's face it: This was a leftover, a 'trick lens' that did a trick that is not interesting any longer. We shall not see its like again. I do in fact suspect that no new Summiluxes will be designed. Ultimate lens speed is really not the issue it was. Just crank up the gain a notch.

Summarit and Elmarit lenses will be the future. Compared to the zooms that satisfy 99% of all photographers, even an Elmarit is lightning fast!

The old man from the Age of f:3.5

So that's the end of the Noctilux. Let's face it: This was a leftover, a 'trick lens' that did a trick that is not interesting any longer. We shall not see its like again. I do in fact suspect that no new Summiluxes will be designed. Ultimate lens speed is really not the issue it was. Just crank up the gain a notch.

Summarit and Elmarit lenses will be the future. Compared to the zooms that satisfy 99% of all photographers, even an Elmarit is lightning fast!

I don't think so, high-quality fast primes are one of the differentiators for the M. You don't win as a niche player by giving up on your differentiators. I expect more fast primes, rather than fewer. I will be amazed if there is not a new asph f1 or f0.95 lens to replace the noctilux.

It's not about the speed, it's about the rendering.

David.

Nobody seems to have realized just how special the Noctilux box is! It's more than just a humidor! Allow me to quote this PR piece from The Photographer's Mail (NZ):

"The wooden box in which the Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/1 is sold is precious in itself. It was made in the Elie Bleu Tabletier near Paris, which has a long tradition of excellent craftsmanship. Designed exclusively for and in co-operation with Leica, the box is made of the finest woods: Guarea for the body and French cedarwood for the veneered surfaces. The lacquer consists of up to ten coats and is alternately ground and polished in seven steps until the result is absolutely perfect. All metal fittings, i.e. the hinges, grips, lock and key, are covered with 2N genuine gold plating. The cushioned interior is made of Italian Alcantara. To protect the high-quality precision optics, there is a compartment with drying agent in the lid of the case that absorbs moisture from the air and thus ensures a significantly drier environment in the closed case. In addition, a precision hygrometer has been fitted for exact humidity measurement. The case, therefore, affords the Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/1 optimum protection from all adverse conditions, particularly from the detrimental influences of high humidity."

Wow! As long as you never take the lens out of the box, it should be fine. Obviously, Leica lenses are so delicate, they should never actually be used lest they are detrimentally affected by the atmosphere, and therefore lose their collectability. Why oh why do so many photographers insist on actually using them to take pictures?

But get this: a "drying agent...that absorbs moisture from the air"... "a precision hygrometer." How much do you suppose these marvels cost? I have to make do with silica gel for a few dollars and have a cheap- three-in-one thermometer, hygrometer, and clock.

Guarea, btw, is a tropical hardwood that is part of the mahogany family with a conservation status of "vulnerable". So there probably won't be that much of it left in future! Certainly not if it's used for cigar boxes and the like in praise of Che Guevara!

I'm sure after this post, most of these wonderful creations will already have sold. I did have a look through a Noctilux lens a couple of times. I thought it looked like a brilliantly designed and built piece of equipment. But it was exposed to air, so I suppose wouldn't have lasted very long.

In the Pop Photo interview - with LCT has linked - they asked about the high ISO performance of the M8 and Dr Kaufman replied

"We are committed to enhancing the performance of all Leica cameras at higher ISOs, but we will do so very gradually.

Basically we provide Leica M photographers with professional caliber low-light performance the traditional Leica way, with our outstanding line of f/2 Summicron and f/1.4 Summilux lenses and the f/1.0 Noctilux. And there will be more to come!"

I think from that you can take it that there will be more faster lenses and Leica are definately not concentrating on just Summarits or Elmarits.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

as long as it is clear that this is a sop to collectors I have no issue with it. As far as users are concerned it is all sounds rather pathetic. If only the sale of these special editions allowed them to reduce prices on regular kit....instead they go up and up and up and....

...leica's business model (insofar as the m and r lines are concerned) is absolute perfection without regard to costs...as such, the market is extremely limited and would tend to appeal to a select spectrum of professional users, well-heeled hobbyists and collectors (who typically demand presentation cases and letters/papers of authenticity/exclusivity)...

...regarding the current prices of leica m and r products, this is merely a function of supply and demand, and the fact that leica has been losing money of late on its operations testifies to the fact that its products are in fact not priced as high as they should be...

...less-costly leica products do in fact exist in the form of the leicalumix offerings...

...leica's business model (insofar as the m and r lines are concerned) is absolute perfection without regard to costs...as such, the market is extremely limited and would tend to appeal to a select spectrum of professional users, well-heeled hobbyists and collectors (who typically demand presentation cases and letters/papers of authenticity/exclusivity)...

...regarding the current prices of leica m and r products, this is merely a function of supply and demand, and the fact that leica has been losing money of late on its operations testifies to the fact that its products are in fact not priced as high as they should be...

...less-costly leica products do in fact exist in the form of the leicalumix offerings...

Thomas, I think you are bringing the "Leica issue" to the point in as far as you refer to Leica´s general price positioning.

My understanding, however, is, that Leica operating "out of traditional supply and demand rules" still produces losses.

In consequence it is not so much the question whether they will launch a new Noctilux

or not, it is rather whether there will be some sort of entry price levels as well.

I believe yes, at least I do interpret the new Summarit-range as such.

Could this mean a digital CL body, positioned substantially below M8 ?

A new CL as most compact Leica digital rangefinder would make sense :

a) access to new target group via new price positioning

B) opens up room for a M9, following M8, then however with full size sensor.

Launching a digital CL e.g. in fall 08 would allow Leica to take the time to carefully develop a M9

without all these illnesses we know from M8, launching this M9 not earlier than fall 09.

The CL is a camera with too many limitations...

Hardly more than the R-D1 if it could fit 28, 35 and 50mm lenses. Adding to this a 21 i could do most of my pics with that combo the same way as with my Epson's. I mean if the CLd was an APS-C of course.

The dealer and Leica rep rumor mills keep suggesting that a new super fast replacement for the Noctilux is coming. If I'd only heard it from a dealer & web forums then I'd keep in the round filing cabinet but it's now three dealers and two reps hinting at the same rumors ...

However, I'll believe it when I see it. :D

Thomas, I think you are bringing the "Leica issue" to the point in as far as you refer to Leica´s general price positioning.

My understanding, however, is, that Leica operating "out of traditional supply and demand rules" still produces losses.

In consequence it is not so much the question whether they will launch a new Noctilux

or not, it is rather whether there will be some sort of entry price levels as well.

I believe yes, at least I do interpret the new Summarit-range as such.

Could this mean a digital CL body, positioned substantially below M8 ?

A new CL as most compact Leica digital rangefinder would make sense :

a) access to new target group via new price positioning

B) opens up room for a M9, following M8, then however with full size sensor.

Launching a digital CL e.g. in fall 08 would allow Leica to take the time to carefully develop a M9

without all these illnesses we know from M8, launching this M9 not earlier than fall 09.

...well taken points...yes issues related to efficiency and execution (not to mention strategic focus) all have a bearing on the bottom line...the new summarit line is a very good move, imho...

The CL is a camera with too many limitations... The point is how to make the M8 cheaper keeping the quality...

For Leica it is absolutely no option to reduce the price of M8, this is my deep

conviction.

However, it should be their duty to add value to this product (M8 or M9), without

changing/increasing the price over the next 2-3 years.

The last price increase was a joke that -unfortunately- became reality......

The dealer and Leica rep rumor mills keep suggesting that a new super fast replacement for the Noctilux is coming. If I'd only heard it from a dealer & web forums then I'd keep in the round filing cabinet but it's now three dealers and two reps hinting at the same rumors ...

Everyone's obeying the NDA then :)

Psssst, can you keep a secret?

I can't imagine a Leica 'digital CL' - the M8 is selling, why would the jeopardise those sales? How inferior could a 'digital CL' be to an M8? How much cheaper could it be? Probably not enough to deter people from saving a bit more for an M8, and if it were made in Asia with a plastic body, some would say 'but its not a real Leica'

Now if Leica were to make a 'digital CM' to compete with Sigma...........that would be a less expensive alternative and stepping stone for photographers to an M system.

I agree. In my opinion, the only possibility to make an M-compatible body substantially cheaper than the M8 would be an EVIL without viewfinder and rangefinder, but with a big live view display.

Best regards,

Alex