Special Limited Edition Noctilux-M

dfarkas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's like the line from the Beetles song "would you walk away from a fool and his money"

Off-topic: great line, wrong band--that's a Badfinger song, not by the Beatles at all (But Paul McCartney wrote that one--Come and Get It--and made a Paul-only demo--yeah, that's him playing everything, which wasn't released till Anthology):

Live by Badfinger: YouTube - Badfinger Come And Get It

Paul's demo YouTube - The Beatles-Come And Get It(Official Video)

Oh, and I agree: Leica shouldn't walk away from this. Why would they? Let them pour the money into RD for the next Nocti.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IF (that's a big IF) Leica is making a follow-up to the Noctilux, then it is brilliant. Car manufacturers, watch makers, and other purveyors of luxury goods have often used limited editions of high performance versions to reflect some good light on their "lesser" (but still excellent) products.

Why not have a new Noctilux - even if it is lesser materials and simpler construction, it will still benefit from the glow of the older models, esp. the rare boxed version that non-Leica people will remember hearing about.

My opinion with regard to the 10.000,- € story :

Case 1 "there will be a new Noctilux" :

In this case selling the last 100 at this price is cheating the customer, assuming that the new Noctilux (whether 0,95 or 1,0) will be considerably less expensive.

Case 2 "there will be no new Noctilux" :

Even in this case Leica should have gone a different way, after all what they did to the consumers especially around the M8 flagship product. A lottery would have been some sort of thank you for those, who never stopped believing in this brand (there have been many reasons to do so...) the winners of the lottery would have paid the list price.

My opinion with regard to the 10.000,- € story :

Even in this case Leica should have gone a different way, after all what they did to the consumers especially around the M8 flagship product. A lottery would have been some sort of thank you for those, who never stopped believing in this brand (there have been many reasons to do so...) the winners of the lottery would have paid the list price.

If you believe that there would ever be an open lottery that did not favour Leica insiders or the dealers 'favoured' customers then you must believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. It would never happen.

If you actually want the lens then there are some new copies still out there with dealers if you look for them.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I tend to agree with James, Andy and Bill on this, a slight (alright, huge:) ) overeaction by Speenth, Darkstar 2004 and others, imo.

I suspect that Leica would have found it difficult to shift the last few 'ordinary' Nocti, especially with rumours of a new model floating around the ether, so why not go the Limited Edition route to clear the stock and make a tidy profit at the same time?

Anyone in the market for a 'working' Nocti will still be able to find a used copy of the existing lens, or maybe buy the new model if the rumours turn out to be true.

I dont care.

I was talking to a mathematician the other day. "I am standing on two parallel lines do they ever intersect?" ... "How the hell can I tell you that? Jesus Christ it depends on whether you are standing on two parallel lines that intersect, or two parallel lines that dont intersect. Jesus, Robert! Where are you standing?!"

Guest darkstar2004
I tend to agree with James, Andy and Bill on this, a slight (alright, huge:) ) overeaction by Speenth, Darkstar 2004 and others, imo.

I suspect that Leica would have found it difficult to shift the last few 'ordinary' Nocti, especially with rumours of a new model floating around the ether, so why not go the Limited Edition route to clear the stock and make a tidy profit at the same time?

Anyone in the market for a 'working' Nocti will still be able to find a used copy of the existing lens, or maybe buy the new model if the rumours turn out to be true.

As I said in the thread titled "Disgusting?" -

If Leica were to continue to manufacture and sell the "normal" Noctilux alonside the "Pharohs of Egypt" Noctilux, I wouldn't have uttered a peep - but they have chosen to not do so. That is the issue.

Why is that position so wrong?

Why not offer a final 100 standard production Noctiluxes for we mere mortals who may want one alongside the "Pharohs of Egypt" Noctilux? If Leica can put out a final run of 100 Noctiluxes, they could have just as easily put out a final run of 200. That way, there would have been something for everyone.

Why not offer a final 100 standard production Noctiluxes for we mere mortals who may want one alongside the "Pharohs of Egypt" Noctilux? If Leica can put out a final run of 100 Noctiluxes, they could have just as easily put out a final run of 200. That way, there would have been something for everyone.

Because:-

1. They have done their market research

2. They want - rightly - to maximise profit - selling the past to pay for the future

3. Nobody would buy them. Collectors will want the collector's edition and users will prefer to wait instead for the new model, or buy secondhand

4. If they still had 200 to sell there would be 200 special editions - I think you grossly underestimate how "easy" it is to produce a Noctilux.

These are the last of their breed. I suspect they have kept a careful eye on stocks. When they reached the magic 100 number, they put this plan into operation.

Good for them.

Regards,

Bill

As for the question of whether there will be a new Nocti, isn't one of the M campaign themes to do with low light shooting? And didn't Dr Kaufmann refer to the fact that Leica's answer to the issue of high ISO (for digital) is the faster lenses?

This would lead me to assume that a replacement is on the cards.

The only reason why Leica is artificially lifting the price of the obsolete Noctilux is to make room for the upcoming new Noctilux ... think about it, folks ... if the old one can be had for $3000, how can they charge $9000 for the new model?

Now you'll feel more comfortable because the new lens is "better" and "cheaper".

Let's give the collectors a break, it's all about money - seriously. When you cry for the steep price of a Noctilux, people were laughing at you for paying $3500 for a 50/1.4. :)

Guest darkstar2004
Bill, this lot was churned out by Panasonic, I'm not sure who made the boxes though.

Is that true?!?!?!

Wow! THAT could cause a backlash!!

That's sort of like Rolls Royce selling so-called "Phantom Coupes" (and at 2.6x the regular price) only to have the world find out they were made by Chevrolet...

Is that true?!?!?!

Wow! THAT could cause a backlash!!

That's sort of like Rolls Royce selling so-called "Phantom Coupes" (and at 2.6x the regular price) only to have the world find out they were made by Chevrolet...

I think you will find that James was indulging in ironic flights of mendacity.

Naughty James.

Regards,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
Why? Never change a winning team ;)

A 50/0.95 is expected according to some rumors.

Doesn't matter! It will certainly be a very different lens, except for proximity of speed. It is a fact that the glass used to make the Noctilux is highly illegal to be used/manufactured in Germany (thus it's being made in Canada all this time). Can leica make a new lens? Yes. Can they make a fast lens? Yes. Will it be the same? No. Some people like the new Porsche Turbo-fast, quiet, and comfortable. And others like a 1973 Carrera 3 liter RS-rare and raw!