Steven K.Lee gone

christer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm absolutely sure he had a good handle on what was going on, but what I said was that he wouldn't - most likely - have been responsible for the pictures on the new website which people don't like and think are the reason he was sacked, or the decision to give a discount on a new lens, or to introduce Summarit lenses........ people are citing things they are unhappy about with the product but they almost certainly are not the reason.

So what the hell does a CEO of a company with 1000 employees do, knit socks and play golf, somebody makes decisions and it's not the cleaners.

By the way most people have thought the ~Summarits were a good decision.

Oh, much more important stuff like choosing the weekly menu in the staff canteen, reviewing the toilet paper suppliers prices, checking that there's enough milk for the coffee break..............

I didn't say that the Summarits were a bad idea did I?

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still believe that the language chosen relates to his handling of employee, dealer and customer relations. Leica has alienated a lot of people in a short time, and introduced a lot of negative press to a previously solid reputation, and whether he caused it directly, or simply failed to straighten it out, he is ultimately responsible, being in charge.

There is another possibility, which I hesitate to put forward. Maybe he was hired specifically to get certain unpopular changes pushed through, and was then "let go", according to plan, with language chosen to win back the hearts of those alienated in the process, including other employees.

Does anyone know more about the mid-level managers (research, production, optics, communication, and the press contact person), who were let go in the last year or two, like Gero Furchheim? I presume that letting these people go caused a deep rift in the company, which only Lee's leaving could heal, but perhaps this was exactly the plan? Will these people be brought back?

Not at all a bad guess. Not sure we'll ever know. But I worked for a while in an Anglo-German company, and a special chief exec was brought in from outside on a 2 year deal specifically to effect a shake-up, including firing previous senior management and reorganising a couple of divisions. After which he bowed out and the old chief exec resumed his former post. The parallels are very close.

I personally believe SKL was good news for Leica. It's stronger now that it has been in any time in the last 10 years right across the board - in terms of its financing, its product line and its growth in new customers. He's certainly no fool and made a lot of very assured moves. The people suggesting he was caught in some misdemeanor are way off the mark in my opinion. Frankly ludicrous. And don't forget he hinted at his departure some weeks ago... "whether you're talking to me or my successor..." in describing Photokina.

I agree, now that I have got a good one, my 75 Summarit is excellent. You see some of us are out taking photos with our Leica M8's and lenses rather than whingeing on a forum. Perhaps some others should get out more.

Wilson

Oh for goodness sake - if you have such distaste for taking part in the debate on this forum, i suggest YOU get out more!

Why on earth does anyone feel they have the right to describe the rest of us that enjoy being here as WHINGERS??? Get out more Wilson - and don't let the door whack you in the backside on your way out.

Eureka, we've cracked it. Mr Lee was shown the door because the toilet roll invoice was too much for the board members to bear and to cap it all there was no milk for their coffee.

Gentlemen, this is serious.

Indeed it is.

But we have not one whit of influence in this matter. While we wait for normal service to be resumed on Monday, we may as well have a chat over a cup of coffee, eh?

Regards,

Bill

I agree, now that I have got a good one, my 75 Summarit is excellent. You see some of us are out taking photos with our Leica M8's and lenses rather than whingeing on a forum. Perhaps some others should get out more.

Wilson

Not all of us are blessed with the weather in St Kitts, Wilson :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why on earth does anyone feel they have the right to describe the rest of us that enjoy being here as WHINGERS???

I don't believe that Wilson is describing 'the rest of us' - i.e. everyone else other than him - as whingers. His advice of going out and using out cameras is actually very good. I find it very therapeutic.

Oh for goodness sake - if you have such distaste for taking part in the debate on this forum, i suggest YOU get out more!

Why on earth does anyone feel they have the right to describe the rest of us that enjoy being here as WHINGERS??? Get out more Wilson - and don't let the door whack you in the backside on your way out.

Sense of humour failure Plasticman or just a sense failure? If you look back, you will find I have tried to contribute sensibly to this thread, rather than a) flaming people B) endlessly speculating about things of which I have know personal knowledge c) complaining about things Leica might or might not have done other than again, my own personal poor experience of service. Those are the particular posts that rile me and non-constructive ones just like yours.

Wilson

Pretty sad really.... and I'm not talking about the departure of SKL. I'm getting a sense of pent up frustration being unleashed on each other rather than directed at the root cause.

Take a deep breath folks, I'm sure in the fullness of time Leica will publish it's road map going forward and Mr SKL will have a chance to set the record straight.

Pretty sad really.... and I'm not talking about the departure of SKL. I'm getting a sense of pent up frustration being unleashed on each other rather than directed at the root cause.

Take a deep breath folks, I'm sure in the fullness of time Leica will publish it's road map going forward and Mr SKL will have a chance to set the record straight.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Teddy

Sense of humour failure Plasticman or just a sense failure? If you look back, you will find I have tried to contribute sensibly to this thread, rather than a) flaming people B) endlessly speculating about things of which I have know personal knowledge c) complaining about things Leica might or might not have done other than again, my own personal poor experience of service. Those are the particular posts that rile me and non-constructive ones just like yours.

Wilson

Wilson - maybe if you'd read my posts you wouldn't be responding in this manner, either. There are people (like me) discussing this serious topic on this thread with genuine concern for the possible implications the latest crisis has for our future enjoyment of our cameras and lenses, and for the company generally.

Although there may be some worried hand-wringing, I object to the characterisation of the discussion as 'whinging'.

As for the supposed 'argument-winner' which consists of posting an image and saying 'go out and take photos instead' which we tend to see often on this forum - let me just say, go ahead and do it - and leave the others to discuss as they wish in peace. Oh and btw - the old chestnut that the other poster 'lacks a sense of humor' - that's the oldest internet-forum dig, too. Please try something new.

LEICA BERLIN

carstenw: "...That is a good point about brandname ownership. I never thought it that big a deal, to be honest, and I don't see why ywould go up against your flagship dealer over such an issue. Those who have been to the Leica Camera Berlin store know what a sharp design it has, and it could easily represent Leica..."

aXs: as I said, "Martin Meister was in continued conflict with Steven K. Lee - also about the promotion of Meister's newly branded Leica Flagship-store in Berlin. (same goes for Toyko and Paris)

Leica Berlin: Steven K. Lee wanted the Leica M8 camera to be promoted in-store with creative activity and photo/art related projects - and sponsoring events.

Lee was especially keen on unique and creative new product placement concepts for the Leica brand name.

... Leica has alienated a lot of people in a short time, and introduced a lot of negative press... he (Steven K. Lee) is ultimately responsible, being in charge... does anyone know more about... Leica's press contact person...Gero Furchheim?

Gero Furchheim was involved with product placement ideas as well as investor relations (banks/financial institutions). Gero Furchheim's name is listed on Leica's corporate website for 'investor relations' (ie Kaufmann's contact man).

Axel

Axel Sanders