Erwin on the Upgrade

innerimager

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We don't know what changes there are to the shutter but if you tried my method of demonstrating what the shutter sounds like by itself, you will have found the that shutter sounds almost cloth like; it's the noisy shutter lock and wind-on which currently spoil the party.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy

I'm a pro -and don't stick anything into any camera ..... and there are a number of us out (pro or otherwise) here who found ourselves with shutter damage with NO apparent cause! I think there is something wrong with the shutter system. I am not saying that is why Leica are making these changes, but frankly - having had the shutter replaced and having had to argue the point with Leica to not be charged for 'sticking something in the camera - which is pretty insulting BTW - I for one am glad they are changing the shutter.

It's a fact of life that the faster you want something to move, the harder you have to push it and it's possible the 1/8000 capability - and especially 1/250 flash sync - is pushing the envelope of operation for this shutter beyond safe limits. Other things being equal, if you want to double the speed of the shutter, you have to more than double the force you apply to it and I think it's perfectly possible that the move to 1/4000 is a preservation measure rather than anything to do with the noise.

As I've explained, the shutter by itself is not especially noisy - it's the motor and the shutter lock which are most noticeable in the current shutter.

Even if the new one is a little softer, all they really needed to do was seperate the shutter from the recock and the old shutter would be whisper quiet. Capisce?

I don't go along with a lot of what you' ve been saying Jimmy, but I do agree here. Is it technically the wrong way to go? It's certainly something I've been banging on about for months... and Mark's commented on it again here. Does anyone know why Leica's not considering it?

Guest jimmy pro
It's a fact of life that the faster you want something to move, the harder you have to push it and it's possible the 1/8000 capability - and especially 1/250 flash sync - is pushing the envelope of operation for this shutter beyond safe limits. Other things being equal, if you want to double the speed of the shutter, you have to more than double the force you apply to it and I think it's perfectly possible that the move to 1/4000 is a preservation measure rather than anything to do with the noise.

As I've explained, the shutter by itself is not especially noisy - it's the motor and the shutter lock which are most noticeable in the current shutter.

I agree with the last statement Mark but the first paragraph is a stretch too far for credibility. Shutters with 1/8000 and 1/250 flash have been around for twenty years in many camera models from different camera manufacturers, in hard professional use and sure there's the occasional breakdown but probably 99% of them go 100K or more shots without a burp. If the M8 shutters are failing in higher proportions (and I'm not saying they are) then theres something else fishy not the shutter design. Maybe Leica got a bad batch from China with too much oil, or maybe there own assembly workers over oiled them or messed up some other way. The kind of shutter Leica is replacing it with is by the specs probably the same shutter used in the mid-level SLR and DSLR bodies. It is a quieter shutter (Nikon n80 was quieter than f100), which gives Leica a great way to sell it to the customers. It's also obviously a cheaper shutter, which is good for Leica's bottom line. But a good question, and one that has to be answered in time not by Leica's admen or the forum fanboys, is whether the new shutter is as durable as the old one.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interesting to read in latest LFI magazin ("M8 Forever") that Leica will offer to make the shutter quieter and a bit less shaking by changing the spring's tension.

No word, in this article, about replacing the whole shutter.

And, by the way, in the same issue of LFI there is a very informative article of mjh about future sensor technology which shows how Leica might achieve better DR some time ahead.

Horst

I don't have the newest LFI yet so I can't look this up but you bring a new dimension to this topic.

Is Leica really replacing the original shutter with a new and improved model? Or are they just re-Tuning the old one and making some adjustments to the winder motor?????

If those questions are the real truth then this could a whole different story.

Guest guy_mancuso
I don't have the newest LFI yet so I can't look this up but you bring a new dimension to this topic.

Is Leica really replacing the original shutter with a new and improved model? Or are they just re-Tuning the old one and making some adjustments to the winder motor?????

If those questions are the real truth then this could a whole different story.

From what i was told Ed a complete replacement, that came from leica executives.