A big thank you to Leica

stunsworth

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica receive a lot of brickbats here, so I thought I'd try to redress the balance a little.

Last year I bought a used 75mm Summicron from someone on this forum. From the day I first used it I struggled really badly to get sharp images. Now I know the seller very well, I've met him several times and I've bought equipment from him in the past, so I knew for certain that he wouldn't sell me anything that wasn't in 100% working order. I assumed that the lens had been thrown around in transit and something had slipped out of alignment.

Anyhow I sent the lens to Leica asking them to look at it. I fully expected to have to pay for any repair as I was the third owner of this particular lens - and both previous owners are post to this forum. The lens arrived back from Leica this week with a covering letter saying that they had found problems with the lens and it had been repaired. The cost to me? Zero and there was an apology for the lens not being within specification. So a big thanks to Leica in Solms who repaired the lens, and Leica UK in Milton Keynes who forwarded the lens onto me with their letter of apology.

The first chance I had to take the lens out was today under very poor lighting conditions. It seems to work fine at f2, something it most certainly didn't do before.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nice to know Steve.

Great to read that Leica is changing their approach to Customer Service.

c h r i s, no, they don't change - they have been like this as long as I can remember. Just spare a few minutes to talk to the folks over there directly. Of course, this is not to say that you get service generally for free that way, but always reasonable.

cheers

Keith, Chris is a very nice and helpful bloke who has been a member of this forum for many, many years so I think his Leica experience goes way back. When the old forum switched over to this format a year or two ago the post count didn't transfer. If it had he would have 4 or 5 thousand posts under his name. Actually I think he used to live here... :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a similar story to share as well. I sent my M7 to Solms from Vancouver, Canada because the shutter button was jammed (solid). Leica fixed it free of charge and suggested I'd be careful if the camera is in a soft bag as it could possibly have been banged around and forced the shutter down while in a locked position. I thought the service was excellent. All in all I spent less than three weeks without the M7.

Daniel

So tell us about your experiences then. Or maybe you just browse the internet?

Chris is a VERY well established member of the Leica forum and to be clear his post would have been over 15,000 had his numbers been transferred. No one is more respectful of others and deserving of respect. Chris belongs to that set of us who even predate the old forum of 2002.

Cheers,

Chris is a VERY well established member of the Leica forum and to be clear his post would have been over 15,000 had his numbers been transferred. No one is more respectful of others and deserving of respect. Chris belongs to that set of us who even predate the old forum of 2002.

Cheers,

Conrad - there aren't many of us left... :)

Chris should post more often - we miss him ;)

Steve, this is consistant with my experience with customer service at Solms. My M8 started giving me that "on-off-asleep" problem last November. I got in touch with Solms through email and they told me to send it in so they could check it out. This was now early December and I was concerned about having the camera back in time for Christmas. I mentioned that to them politely. They turned it around in about 10 days even though they must have been very busy.

In addition to fixing the original problem they also adjusted the rangefinder and replaced the screen in back which I had scratched. All at no charge!

Very polite and professional all the way through, with a clear view of serving the customer in the best way possible.

Doug

Guest darkstar2004

About 1 1/2 years ago, i had a similar experience to Steve's when my 50/1.4 pre-ASPH lens was dropped on a tile floor (what a sickening sound!)

I sent it in to Leica NJ, told them what had happened and asked them to CLA/repair it as needed. It was back within 10 days and there was no cost to me.

• 3 weeks later...

In 2005, I sent back an M6 bought on ebay which showed random faults in metering. It had been seen to by Malcolm but to no avail. Leica lost it and, after several exchanges of emails with Attila von Gyimes, they sent me back a brand new black MP: how's that for service? It really reinforced my belief that they sometimes stand by their customer. Not incidentally, I bought a 75mm APO ASPH the same year...