No M9, Only M8-2

sdai

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just because you allege that you have contacts deep inside the organisation, and yet claim to know nothing about it, doesn't make information from another, reliable source, any less valid.

Why bother with this twit he is so full of himself I bet he gets an erection whenever he looks at himself in the mirror.

Why bother with this twit he is so full of himself I bet he gets an erection whenever he looks at himself in the mirror.

forum upgrade perhaps? vote twits off!

get enough votes and you are booted off the (digital) island

ok guys deep breaths. No fists! Remember it's just a camera.

I'm intrigued by this announcement though - I'm really not sure what to make of it to be honest. To get the discussion back on track, IF it's true (leaving aside that question entirely*) what are the actual implications - for current owners, potential owners, and for Leica?

With all respect to Jamie and his admirable ecological idealism (which I share incidentally), I really don't think that Leica is doing this for the good of the planet. So how does the whole thing stack-up economically for them? Is it a brand-profiling issue?

And how do people feel Leica will be able to turn cameras around quickly enough to make it worthwhile for current owners?

It's all very interesting - but no need for people to put on their gloves imho.

* Well it seems to be official now anyway....

I've just had an email from Leica UK giving details of and upgrade kit, how do I upgrade and firmeare update 1.201.

• Scratch-proof sapphire glass cover for the LCD monitor.

• Noise-optimized shutter with a fastest speed of 1/4000s.

• If so desired, the camera will be picked up at your home and sent directly back to you, without any intermediary stage in the process.

• Health-check and complete adjustment of the camera, testing all its functions.

• Installation of the newest relevant firmware.

• New factory warranty of two years covering the same conditions as for a new camera.

How do I get the upgrade for my M8?

• This offer applies exclusively to all registered M8 users.

• We will inform you shortly via e-mail when the website is updated with detailed information about the new M8 upgrade program, and will also inform you as soon as possible how to purchase the first upgrade certificates.

• The fact that you are registered as a M8 owner will give you guaranteed access to an exclusive online area where you will be able to purchase your upgrade certificate.

• Purchasing the upgrade certificates will be possible as of March 2008 - the actual upgrading will commence as of August 2008.

• The upgrades will be fullfiled in the same order as the upgrade certificates were purchased. It is therefore advisable to acquire the certificate as quickly as possible.

Firmware update 1.201 available

In keeping with the overall sustainability of the concept of the rangefinder camera system, Leica Camera AG is now offering all LEICA M8 users an updated version of the camera firmware, which can be downloaded free of charge from Friday, February 1st from our website. Among other things, the new firmware version contains new, substantially improved automatic white balance algorithms for natural color rendering in nearly all light conditions. We will send you special information via e-mail which contains a direct link as soon as we post the firmware update on our website.

Seems therefore it is now fact and not rumour.

I guess you didn't read the posts I was agreeing with Andy who said the upgrade was real and that the guy who kept crappng on hm was a twt.

Sorry Tim - This thread has got so involved I got confused - as you probably realised, the 'twit' I was refering to was the same one as you...

One up to David Stephens I think...

they do say 'What Manchester does today the rest of the world does tomorrow...'

So Arthur Forman was right!

As I recall, he's the first to have suspected the upgrade (http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/44519-no-m9-only-m8-2-a-7.html#post467686).

So my hat is now off to Forman, Lee and Kaufmann!

And how brilliant of Leica to sell the upgrades now for implementation in August! Great way to finance initial production of the R10! :D

--HC

LOL not to go off topic to much but i did just replace all my hard drives . The Seagate .11 1TB drives are really nice, just bought 3 of them and 2 500gb. 11 ones

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Have to post in the digital section how i did 2 external E-sata drives off the Mac Pro. i have basically 6 internal drives now. Pretty cool stuff and it is NOT expensive

Oh man... that's not a lot for a terabyte... It's a normal SATA drive, no? I'll have to put one in my mac pro! Thanks Guy!

Ben

Sorry Tim - This thread has got so involved I got confused - as you probably realised, the 'twit' I was refering to was the same one as you...

One up to David Stephens I think...

they do say 'What Manchester does today the rest of the world does tomorrow...'

Yes I guess things got a little heated. When some people are trying to help and to let you know about things that are coming and others just want to crap all over them maybe because they feel left out of the loop.

Actually, no, it was not Tony Rose. However your characterisation of him as an ungentlemanly spitting dummy seems out of place for someone who so quickly jumped to defence when someone made a much less offending remark about your Mr. Stephens. Considering however that I've never even heard of that little hole-in-the-wall shop, which as I've been informed has only recently "regained" their Leica franchise, and Mr. Rose is what they refer to in the 'states as a 'power seller' for Leica, I have doubts that he needs your or anyone's counsel as to how to 'think it through' ;)

From RFF:

icon9.gifUSA Leica Dealer Just collapsed...............

I am in Cardiac Arrest!

There is no pulse.

TR

Last edited by Tony Rose : 22 Hours Ago at 21:13.

Now, the "Last edited" note is interesting. Tony's original post, which he clearly thought better of, and retracted, was snotty, to say the least. He clearly felt aggrieved, as you do, Tummydoc (may I call you Tum?) that he had been blindsided. There appear to be an awful lot of people doing a Tony Blair* on this at the moment.

Never mind, Tum, we never believed you had the inside track anyway.

Now, more interestingly, I think that this is a major paradigm shift for Leica. I predict that the Canons and Nikons of this world will be offering upgrade programs within 12 months on their Pro bodies. This is a great move for the users, not quite so for the fondlers.

Regards,

Bill

* "doing a Tony Blair" = actually believing that they have a "special relationship" with someone or something that doesn't even realise they exist.

I think an apology is due to David Stephens.

He is not a nut, or a liar or anything else that certain parties have called him these past two days.

Who's man enough to step up to the plate first?

The first time I saw his web site, I knew it's a big fish. LOL

Guest guy_mancuso

Well I know i did not call him either so i think I am okay but i did want confirmation and usually this comes from press releases and controlled by Leica. I don't believe in dealers making these kinds of announcements they should come the press or the camera company itself. To me this could get way out of hand if this happens on a regular basis and that was my point all along. From my seat i wish he confirmed it first through Leica before posting, i know i have to be real careful as a beta tester with any information i have , I would expect dealers to fall into the same category. That was my big point. Also honestly not many folks here in the US or other parts of the world know this dealer, so that has to be taken in consideration also. If i said Photomark to folks over in Germany they may not know who they are even though they are a great leica dealer. See my point , we live in a global world.

BTW I JUST got my customer letter

Which is still a lot for a shutter downgrade and a replacement cover.

As for firmware, I'm sure Leica will have branching releases for both models, as was explained when they started to provide forks in the code base.

I'm hopeful, too, that an upgrade would address IQ, and not just shutter noise.

Its not a shutter donwgrade ! Leica try to get the silent shutter the M´s where well known for again.

Guest tummydoc
I think an apology is due to David Stephens.

He is not a nut, or a liar or anything else that certain parties have called him these past two days.

Who's man enough to step up to the plate first?

I will. I'm sorry Mr. Stephens, that you put your own agenda ahead of Leica's, grab some headlines by usurping Leica's prerogative to make their official announcement in the manner their marketing department thought most beneficial to the company. I'm also sorry you put your friends such as Andy in an awkward position, allowing them to take up your defence and catch all the skeptical flak without posting a response yourself. I'm sorry that the concept of 'team player' seems to be one you either don't comprehend or else don't care to subscribe to.

I am truly apologetic to you Andy, as I know your heart was in the right place. All you did was defend someone you felt you could believe, based on his word and a note written in his own hand purported to be verbatim from a phone call from a Leica rep. That demonstrates that you are a good and loyal friend. Perhaps better than the gentleman deserves. Regardless of how valid my skepticism was, I am truly sorry if what I said offended you, it was not intended as such.