No M9, Only M8-2

sdai

Slightly off topic I know but...as we seem to have been sidetracked by UPGRADE rumours, any news about the 1.111 UPDATE...

Peter,

It will come included with the €1500 upgrade ;-}}

Wilson

But it's not the shutter travel that's so noisy, it's the winding/cocking after exposure. How would that be softened by (presumably) slowing the shutter travel (if that's what reducing the top speed would entail)?

I agree that it's really the rewinding that's the loudest part of the whole sequence. All I meant by my comment was that if, for whatever technical reason, it was necessary to reduce the maximum shutter speed to 1/4000th to facilitate making the whole thing quieter then that would be an acceptable compromise to me. I would even take 1/2000th of a second--any lower than that would create limitations for me in shooting wide open during daylight at ISO 160. Obviously 1/8000th + quiet shutter would be ideal.

Slightly off topic I know but...as we seem to have been sidetracked by UPGRADE rumours, any news about the 1.111 UPDATE...

The 1.111 firmware was only on some of the latest M8 shipping from the factory. It has somthing to do with a new component that needed a change to the firmware. Leica sent a memo saying this when firmware 1.110 was released. Leica also said it would not be available to download.

Nah you never placed it into that context, to recontextualise it in hindsight ............ feel free to do so but you did state that they have a short life cycle .. :p[/quote

If you really will not let it be:-

Indeed I did. In the context,in that post, replying to a post commenting on a dealer complaining about a "new" M8II coming out. Clearly implying that the life cycle was indeed that of production and availability on the dealers shelf as a current model.

I may well think that the chances of having an M8 working in say 50 years as I would expect an MP to still be (given the availability of the film) to be slim but that would be another kind of life cycle in that context or would you then complain that you thought I meant a production life cycle :)

Now come on let it go and move on. I will not be provoked into another follow up.

BTW . PMA officially opens it's doors Thursday the 31st .

PMA 08 - The leading annual photo trade show and convention

But this is worth checking out

Sony Develops Full-Frame 24.81-Megapixel CMOS Sensor - - PopPhotoJanuary 2008

The Sony sensor is interesting. The "All-pixel scan mode 6.3 frame/s (12bit)" may allow auto focus/confirmation without any additional mechanical gubbins such as rangefinder coupling etc. :D

Bob.

For those of you doubt the source of this news, I have just spent half an hour in the dealer concerned.

I have seen the piece of paper on which the content of the call from the Leica rep in Milton Keynes was written.

Every UK Leica rep was called back to base yesterday (all meetings cancelled) and told the news, and then passed this news on to their dealers. The dealers were not told that this was a secret, hence the post on the dealer's website. The dealers were told yesterday (at least the UK ones were, whether Leica anywhere else have done so is down to them) as, too often in the past, the dealers are the last to know when something interesting happens. They have had enough of customers phoning up asking for new kit, and not knowing anything about it. This seems perfectly reasonable to me.

We had some discussion about what else may be upgraded or changed as part of this process, now that the M8 is officially an upgradeable body. The possibilities are, potentially endless, such that in 10 years time, the only thing left of your original M8 could be its serial number. Think about it.

I have absolutely no doubt at all that this news is 100% legitimate, and I am sorry that many here (most of whom I note are in the US) have doubted it.

There is also news relating to the R10, which is very, very interesting.

Guest guy_mancuso

Andy well that is great news but when only one person makes the post you have to wonder and nothing from the leica camp is official in any form except this dealers claims. That always will lead to some doubt. Don't you agree and ragging on us Americans is not a very nice thing in my book either , first off our time zone is way behind England and not a shred of evidence from Leica . Thirdly this news should come directly from Leica and NOT it's dealers. Every other Pre PMA announcement went through the press channels as it should be and waiting for confirmation from Leica press releases is confirmation and follows the same process. This dealer should have his neck tied in a sling for posting without confirmation that he should post it. Every detail Leica sends me i confirm if it should be posted or not, and trust me they let me know if i should or not.

This dealer can be the nicest dealer on the planet that is not what i am getting at and i am sure he runs a great shop over there. But there is a process on announcements from every camera company and at photo shows it is the press room is where the info flows from . Not a dealer and after all these years it has always been this way at every show.

Guest tummydoc
For those of you doubt the source of this news, I have just spent half an hour in the dealer concerned.

I have seen the piece of paper on which the content of the call from the Leica rep in Milton Keynes was written.

Well, with that kind of indisputable official documentation, it must be true :rolleyes: Good thing the chap who took the call didn't write it on his hand else it might've worn off illegibly by now :D

Every UK Leica rep was called back to base yesterday (all meetings cancelled) and told the news, and then passed this news on to their dealers. The dealers were not told that this was a secret, hence the post on the dealer's website.

And you've verified this by speaking to other reps and dealers?

I have absolutely no doubt at all that this news is 100% legitimate, and I am sorry that many here (most of whom I note are in the US) have doubted it.

That is perhaps because none of the major official Leica stockists in the USA have as of this moment in time received any word from their reps. Two regional reps I spoke with also claimed they've heard nothing about it, and one of them just rang a rep in the UK and he claimed it was the first he was hearing about it. So if it does turn out to be true and there's an official announcement from Leica in the next few days, it will go to show that Leica's internal management is in an awful state of disarray.

How about a modern pellicle mirror? Just wondering.

Unless Kodak has achieved some MAJOR breakthrough in sensor technology, extremely high sensitivity I'm talking about ... there won't be enough light hitting the imager - not to mention the dark viewfinder.

But hey, if Kodak really has a ground breaking sensor, they should throw it into the M8 and offer a real upgrade. :)

Who says they wouldn't? That would be the whole point of an upgradeable platform instead of "throw-away" brick :)

And I just gotta say folks--those of you who don't think the second-hand price of an M8 would drop (without an upgrade path) and with an inevitable M9 announcement--well, I want some of what you're drinking :)

Who says they wouldn't? That would be the whole point of an upgradeable platform instead of "throw-away" brick :)

With a major sensor upgrade, the motherboard has to go as well ... so what we've initially paid for ... turns out to be a piece of brick anyway.

Guest guy_mancuso

I'm hoping for a upgraded sensor and electronic frame lines. I would be first in line with that if i could steal one more F stop on noise.

One thing no one mentioned if they did drop the shutter down to 1/4000 than MAYBE they can give us back ISO 80 and pick up the lost stop there. F1 and F1.4 shooters would be very happy with that. As it is in the sunlight i deal with giving up that 1/8000 is death to me and wide open. Now i would do that upgrade