No M9, Only M8-2

sdai

Not sure about this one, but it sounds true to me ... I followed the link another forum member posted in the "Customer Forum" and it seems that Leica will have some announcement today.

LEICA M8 UPGRADE

I guess now we can let Guy say something? :)

Well that looks like c**p! Unless of course Leica is planning to charge for changing the fastest shutter speed from the current 1/8000th to 1/4000th!

t

Well that looks like c**p! Unless of course Leica is planning to charge for changing the fastest shutter speed from the current 1/8000th to 1/4000th!

t

Yeah, that does seem a little odd to me too... I'd also want some IQ details...but they may have the gist right but the details wrong.

Or maybe there's a tradeoff between fast shutter and noise level?

Guest guy_mancuso

I'm waiting for the real press release. I did ask why no firmware yesterday and there releasing with PMA news. There sending me the press releases but i am sure news will get out before hand. Let's wait to see if this is valid though. There are some announcements but I honestly don't know what they are. This one seems strange to me but let's wait for official word.

Guest guy_mancuso
It would be an OK upgrade path for me if the turnaround was decent.

Sending the camera off for 2 months (unless a loaner was offered) just won't cut it.

I agree Joe what is the promised turn on it too, very important for folks. Trying to get answers folks and i have a funeral to get too, So maybe delayed in some answers today.

Guest tummydoc

Odd that nobody else has heard of this...however, nearly $1800US for a sapphire screen (with approx $2-worth of Best Skins Ever aka Zagg aka Invisible Shield my M8 screen has zero scratches) and lowering the top shutter speed (just when we can finally shoot fast Leica lenses wide open out of doors)? The really sad, sick thing is I'm sure Leica would have some takers no matter how much the mod cost or how little it did (or how much it subtracted) or how much it cost.

What worries me, if this is "report" is true, is whether when they say "new firmware" it refers to the fact the modification requires new firmware, or that the only way current M8 owners will have availability of new firmware is if they pay for the whole package.

Guest guy_mancuso

Well the new firmware has been in my bodies for weeks now unless there is something else completely needed for this upgrade path which i don't know about.

The blurb said 1200 Euros. At today's exchange that's $1764 US.

Which is still a lot for a shutter downgrade and a replacement cover.

As for firmware, I'm sure Leica will have branching releases for both models, as was explained when they started to provide forks in the code base.

I'm hopeful, too, that an upgrade would address IQ, and not just shutter noise.

Presumably the same marketing team that forecast the number of Digilux 3s they needed to make will try to convince us that your get twice as much light with 1/4000 than you do with 1/8000, so of course it's going to be more expensive. No new shutter release though...

Guest tummydoc

Actually, the part that intrigued me is the 2-year warranty with upgrade. If that refers to a 'bumper to bumper' warranty on the entire camera and not simply the upgraded parts, then that does represent some value added. Especially if it were possible to 'delete' the shutter modification. I would rather have 1/8000 than a quieter shutter.

Odd that nobody else has heard of this...however, nearly $1800US for a sapphire screen (with approx $2-worth of Best Skins Ever aka Zagg aka Invisible Shield my M8 screen has zero scratches) and lowering the top shutter speed (just when we can finally shoot fast Leica lenses wide open out of doors)? The really sad, sick thing is I'm sure Leica would have some takers no matter how much the mod cost or how little it did (or how much it subtracted) or how much it cost.

What worries me, if this is "report" is true, is whether when they say "new firmware" it refers to the fact the modification requires new firmware, or that the only way current M8 owners will have availability of new firmware is if they pay for the whole package.

Well, if they change the shutter and lower the max shutter speed it stands to reason there is a different firmware for that variant.

As to the shutterspeed, it seems logical that lowering i would make the camera more silent, so this would be part of creating the long-wished-for "stealth" version.

Anyway, for now it still is Internet smoke, and even if it turns out to be true, the choice is yours.

Guest guy_mancuso

Got to run to a funeral but if i get any e-mails i will forward to Jack to post. Let's not over speculate until we get real answers in the next days . PMA is starting up in the next couple days , forget the actual day but we will hear by than for sure. Check in later hopefully more news to come.