Sign in to follow this  
sdai

No M9, Only M8-2

Guest tummydoc
Oh, do give it a rest.

Whether or not I had pointed it out, I don't believe I'm alone in my disbelief that someone of intelligence would accept and assert that a handwritten note allegedly documenting a 'phone conversation is proof of the veracity of what is published on that website.

Andy well that is great news but when only one person makes the post you have to wonder and nothing from the leica camp is official in any form except this dealers claims. That always will lead to some doubt. Don't you agree and ragging on us Americans is not a very nice thing in my book either , first off our time zone is way behind England and not a shred of evidence from Leica . Thirdly this news should come directly from Leica and NOT it's dealers. Every other Pre PMA announcement went through the press channels as it should be and waiting for confirmation from Leica press releases is confirmation and follows the same process. This dealer should have his neck tied in a sling for posting without confirmation that he should post it. Every detail Leica sends me i confirm if it should be posted or not, and trust me they let me know if i should or not.

This dealer can be the nicest dealer on the planet that is not what i am getting at and i am sure he runs a great shop over there. But there is a process on announcements from every camera company and at photo shows it is the press room is where the info flows from . Not a dealer and after all these years it has always been this way at every show.

sorry guy, i think it's the unprofessional marketing dept. at leica. it's not fair to blame a single dealer. normally companys have a kind of corporateculture -design and behavior and rules for dealers. i do think leica has to work on that very hard in the future.

cheers

andreas

Guest guy_mancuso
With a major sensor upgrade, the motherboard has to go as well ... so what we've initially paid for ... turns out to be a piece of brick anyway.

Well Simon the initial costs of any camera is the RD in the price. Since that already has been done it maybe a good option and able to still keep the price of a upgrade like that down. You know how much RD goes into the costs and if that can be sidetracked now than there maybe a chance at it

Since there appears to be no sensor changes in the rumoured update, ISO and so on should be unchanged. Firmware-only might change something, but somehow I doubt that they would go that far. I would personally *love* to have a quieter M8, and might even pay for it, but to be honest, that price is quite high, and a D300 or something else for my life would be a significant temptation. I will wait and see how much quieter it will get, and if they replace the shutter speed wheel, and remove the extra detent, and so on. I will also wait and see if the seal around the new sapphire screen will be improved. In the end, I might do it. A lower price would make that a certainty. €500 would be great.

The upgrade path is available through the lenses, not the cameras. This is specially true in the digital age where new camera models arrive every day.

Whether or not I had pointed it out, I don't believe I'm alone in my disbelief that someone of intelligence would accept and assert that a handwritten note allegedly documenting a 'phone conversation is proof of the veracity of what is published on that website.

So, either you are calling me unintelligent, or a liar.

Nice one.

How to win friends and influence people...

There is no reason for the dealer to lie to me, or the whole world. There is no reason for him to make this up - quite the contrary in fact.

Just because you allege that you have contacts deep inside the organisation, and yet claim to know nothing about it, doesn't make information from another, reliable source, any less valid.

Guest guy_mancuso
sorry guy, i think it's the unprofessional marketing dept. at leica. it's not fair to blame a single dealer. normally companys have a kind of corporateculture -design and behavior and rules for dealers. i do think leica has to work on that very hard in the future.

cheers

andreas

I know not blaming the dealer per say but also this store has been in business a long time and has been through Leica announcements many times. You would think he knows how it is all done already. That part is what i question , if I was the store i would confirm posting it.

No doubt he maybe exactly right on track with the details but there is a process and i question where that is and reason i had my doubts. Given i talk to Leica on a pretty normal basis and actually been in contact with both Germany and NJ and i got a few hints the last couple days , nothing was official.

Well Simon the initial costs of any camera is the RD in the price. Since that already has been done it maybe a good option and able to still keep the price of a upgrade like that down. You know how much RD goes into the costs and if that can be sidetracked now than there maybe a chance at it

What can I say, my friend?

I strongly suggest Leica to make it a DIY kit and I'm gonna do it at home ... German labor cost really is something and I know for sure it will stay in good hands.

Guest tummydoc
Andy well that is great news but when only one person makes the post you have to wonder and nothing from the leica camp is official in any form except this dealers claims. That always will lead to some doubt. Don't you agree and ragging on us Americans is not a very nice thing in my book either , first off our time zone is way behind England and not a shred of evidence from Leica . Thirdly this news should come directly from Leica and NOT it's dealers. Every other Pre PMA announcement went through the press channels as it should be and waiting for confirmation from Leica press releases is confirmation and follows the same process. This dealer should have his neck tied in a sling for posting without confirmation that he should post it. Every detail Leica sends me i confirm if it should be posted or not, and trust me they let me know if i should or not.

This dealer can be the nicest dealer on the planet that is not what i am getting at and i am sure he runs a great shop over there. But there is a process on announcements from every camera company and at photo shows it is the press room is where the info flows from . Not a dealer and after all these years it has always been this way at every show.

I agree 100%, and furthermore if this dealer in the UK has been a Leica dealer for 40 years as has been claimed, surely he would have been skeptical enough of the sudden departure from past policy to have checked directly with Leica before spilling the beans that his rep allegedly told him over the telephone. Certainly it would seem that every other UK Leica dealer, served either by the same or a different rep, has chosen not to publish or even admit they are privy.

ETA: Good, I see while I was posting this that Guy reiterated my sentiments exactly.

Guest guy_mancuso
A 90mm. That way, you can get farther away.

I honestly just fell on the floor laughing. Maggie love ya my dear. I think the 135mm apo maybe better though.

Time for me to go do some weeding. Love killing those damn weeds with some good poison. And it's legal. LOL

Oh yeah? Which lens should I buy to make my M8 quieter?

What I mean is that you should consider your long term investment in the lenses and the see costs in the cameras you buy. Now more then ever. I might have taken 50 plus year to come to the level of (M)7, this digital age will has us at (M)14 is have that period or even faster.

This sounds more like the computer business than the camera business. There is a reason why businesses fully depreciate PCs in three years and why computers have become a commodity. I'll enjoy my Leica until it fails and can't be repaired but for those that use it for productivity and to make a living, the clock is always ticking.

I know not blaming the dealer per say but also this store has been in business a long time and has been through Leica announcements many times. You would think he knows how it is all done already. That part is what i question , if I was the store i would confirm posting it.

No doubt he maybe exactly right on track with the details but there is a process and i question where that is and reason i had my doubts. Given i talk to Leica on a pretty normal basis and actually been in contact with both Germany and NJ and i got a few hints the last couple days , nothing was official.

guy, yes i agree.

But: the real problem is that that the guys from leica haven't arrived in the digital information age yet. first rule: don't talk-no hints!!! second rule: professional communication plan and execution. in our radical changing times, communication is the job of the top management (CEO). for example: Apple is doing a great job-placing rumors and doing a great show/jobs with the reality afterwards. but you need steve to do that!!!!!

from a communication point of view - perfekt.

i don't think that leica ever plans that kind of strategie. they just do their company communication by try and error. anyhow, leica is a boutique company and maybe they are really not able to work professional in that field.

cheers

andreas

BTW . PMA officially opens it's doors Thursday the 31st .

PMA 08 - The leading annual photo trade show and convention

But this is worth checking out

Sony Develops Full-Frame 24.81-Megapixel CMOS Sensor - - PopPhotoJanuary 2008

Wouldn't that mean 16 bit TIFF's at around 150MB a pop. Those terabyte drive manufacturers are going to love this one - they are probably ordering their yachts now.

Wilson

guy, yes i agree.

But: the real problem is that that the guys from leica haven't arrived in the digital information age yet.

The first optical company to use computers - 1953......

Guest guy_mancuso

LOL not to go off topic to much but i did just replace all my hard drives . The Seagate .11 1TB drives are really nice, just bought 3 of them and 2 500gb. 11 ones

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Have to post in the digital section how i did 2 external E-sata drives off the Mac Pro. i have basically 6 internal drives now. Pretty cool stuff and it is NOT expensive

What I mean is that you should consider your long term investment in the lenses and the see costs in the cameras you buy. Now more then ever. I might have taken 50 plus year to come to the level of (M)7, this digital age will has us at (M)14 is have that period or even faster.

I am not sure what you mean with "and the see costs in the cameras", but my point was that although, yes, most money will be spent on the lenses in the long run, €1200 is still a lot of money and your statement doesn't help anyone make up their mind. It was too general, whereas we need specific information, like what is in the firmware promised, how much quieter will the M8 be, how robust and resistant will the new LCD cover be, etc.

Guest guy_mancuso
I agree 100%, and furthermore if this dealer in the UK has been a Leica dealer for 40 years as has been claimed, surely he would have been skeptical enough of the sudden departure from past policy to have checked directly with Leica before spilling the beans that his rep allegedly told him over the telephone. Certainly it would seem that every other UK Leica dealer, served either by the same or a different rep, has chosen not to publish or even admit they are privy.

ETA: Good, I see while I was posting this that Guy reiterated my sentiments exactly.

Stuff like this should be double checked , no doubt about that. I worked for a big company at one time in my life and you could not do anything without a meeting first and the press stuff was sacred info and lawyers needed to review everything that went out the door on external press releases. And yet still nothing from Leica which is fine they will do it in there own time frame but the info is out there and not confirmed. My only real point , okay off to weeding.