No M9, Only M8-2

sdai

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bill, we'll never know whether Leica wanted information leaked in this way, nor do we know the Ts&Cs of any Dealer Agreement between David and Leica. If there are non-dislosure arrangements in place, David should have stuck to them, if there are not, the leak is down to the Leica Area Manager.

I am with Mark on this one. It is quite obvious that Leica will announce such an offer, and I don't think that anyone should post such info until they see it on Leica's own site, or hear it through official channels. The purpose of divulging such information to dealers is to keep them in the loop, and allow them to discuss it with customers, not to allow them to preempt Leica itself. I think an NDA is irrelevant here; it is about integrity.

Bill, we'll never know whether Leica wanted information leaked in this way, nor do we know the Ts&Cs of any Dealer Agreement between David and Leica. If there are non-dislosure arrangements in place, David should have stuck to them, if there are not, the leak is down to the Leica Area Manager.

Exactly right, Mark. In which case, your earlier comment about "...gratuitous self-indulgent grandstanding..." is intemperate at best.

Carsten,

"I think an NDA is irrelevant here; it is about integrity."

We must agree to differ on this one. An NDA is put in place for a reason. "integrity" is purely subjective. An NDA is purely objective. Wasn't it Sam Goldwyn who said that "A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on?"

Can we get back to debating the news itself now?

Regards,

Bill

Personal opinion:

It's ridiculous to waste time discussing whether a dealer should or shouldn't have released information.

I don't know about European practice, but when I worked retail in the US camera business, there was no such thing as an NDA so far as dealers were concerned.

We didn't have the Web then, but if our rep called and told us of new product or policy, we were free to report it immediately unless he requested otherwise.

As for waiting for Leica to make the announcement on their own, that doesn't apply IMHO. If we receive a call from a Leica representative giving us new information, we must assume other dealers are receiving the same call. If we are not told to withhold the information, we assume the others are also free to release it and will be doing so.

To my mind, we would be crazy not to get the word out immediately.

I think David Stephens behaved exactly as he should have, given the information he has.

In addition, I see no reason to assess blame. The word is now out and official; we've had a lot of fun speculating in this thread and others; and last I looked, the general photo reportage sites (not including Reid Reviews) have published no information on any Leica news from PMA. No damage was done and the question is moot.

(The current silence of the general photo press brings to mind the case of a certain English monarch who wrote in his diary for July 4, 1776 "Nothing of importance happened today.")

Thank you, David. The nay-sayers probably aren't used to the kind of pressure the photo business creates today.

--HC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As a relatively new member of this forum I feel both hurt and distressed that there

has been such a vitriolic response to David Stephen's "early" disclosure of what

was eventually proved to be truthful.

Has "Dealer" become a dirty word here ?

I believe that the information was published by him in the the true spirit of "keeping the

customer informed", and certainly with no intention off malice.

As for 1200 Euros to remove the 8000th second shutter speed, plus a bit of protection

for the screen - aaagghhhh!

Now an improved chip - that would be something else....

Rod