Sign in to follow this  
sdai

No M9, Only M8-2

Guest tummydoc

Now, the "Last edited" note is interesting. Tony's original post, which he clearly thought better of, and retracted, was snotty, to say the least. He clearly felt aggrieved, as you do, Tummydoc (may I call you Tum?) that he had been blindsided. There appear to be an awful lot of people doing a Tony Blair* on this at the moment.

I do not know Mr. Rose personally and I do not read RFF. It appears he doesn't read or post to this forum, either. If you have a beef with him, why don't you take it up with him off-line, or is your primary focus here to sling insults?

Never mind, Tum, we never believed you had the inside track anyway.

Well I guess that answers the question.

Now, more interestingly, I think that this is a major paradigm shift for Leica. I predict that the Canons and Nikons of this world will be offering upgrade programs within 12 months on their Pro bodies. This is a great move for the users, not quite so for the fondlers.

Logic would dictate the contrary. A 'fondler' with a barely-used camera would be more inclined to spend money upgrading a few features for a lot of money, than a user who aside from having no sentimental attachment to his gear, will have used it heavily by the time upgrades come about and would be better served with a completely new camera.

My word! After just spending $5400.00 in late November I’ll now be permitted to spend another grand or two on my “new” M8 very soon! I truly am blessed. I pray that Leica will offer some sort of concession for recent purchases.

Regards,

Logic would dictate the contrary. A 'fondler' with a barely-used camera would be more inclined to spend money upgrading a few features for a lot of money, than a user who aside from having no sentimental attachment to his gear, will have used it heavily by the time upgrades come about and would be better served with a completely new camera.

Is 'a user' professional? Well they might not be sentimental , but a true pro will look after their gear and appreciate its familiarity, and the two years re-warranty.

I will. I'm sorry Mr. Stephens, that you put your own agenda ahead of Leica's, grab some headlines by usurping Leica's prerogative to make their official announcement in the manner their marketing department thought most beneficial to the company. I'm also sorry you put your friends such as Andy in an awkward position, allowing them to take up your defence and catch all the skeptical flak without posting a response yourself. I'm sorry that the concept of 'team player' seems to be one you either don't comprehend or else don't care to subscribe to.

I am truly apologetic to you Andy, as I know your heart was in the right place. All you did was defend someone you felt you could believe, based on his word and a note written in his own hand purported to be verbatim from a phone call from a Leica rep. That demonstrates that you are a good and loyal friend. Perhaps better than the gentleman deserves. Regardless of how valid my skepticism was, I am truly sorry if what I said offended you, it was not intended as such.

You have no idea, do you?

I have not been involved with this but, I will now say that this guy is a complete nut job, and not because of his pre-announcing the M8 upgrade. Who in there right mind would put this on their company's website??? Like I am going to do business with someone who acts like a three year old...

Taken from: LEICA M8 UPGRADE

right hand side of the page

Thankyou to the Leica

Camera Forums UK posters who believed my 'M8 Upgrade' announcement. Pity those guys in the States did not have the same faith. Oh and as for being a 'nut' well I guess the eggs on your face Mr Yankee Doodle Dandy. Uk 1 .. USA 0 - Apology in the post yet?? Bet your bottom Dollar its not !!!

Bless you, Tum.

Have a bit more of a think about it. It's not about "sentimental attachment". I take it you have never been able to afford a bespoke suit?

This announcement from Leica is the first thing that would make me seriously consider buying an M8. If I can rely on upgrading my camera every year or two, rather than buying a new one, I for one would be quite happy. My initial investment is protected, and my digital camera keeps pace with new technological advances as my film camera now does. As a user that is important to me. I won't second-guess the fondlers.

Regards,

Bill

I have not been involved with this but, I will now say that this guy is a complete nut job, and not because of his pre-announcing the M8 upgrade. Who in there right mind would put this on their company's website??? Like I am going to do business with someone who acts like a three year old...

Taken from: LEICA M8 UPGRADE

right hand side of the page

Thankyou to the Leica

Camera Forums UK posters who believed my 'M8 Upgrade' announcement. Pity those guys in the States did not have the same faith. Oh and as for being a 'nut' well I guess the eggs on your face Mr Yankee Doodle Dandy. Uk 1 .. USA 0 - Apology in the post yet?? Bet your bottom Dollar its not !!!

I wouldn't have put it quite like that...

Doesn't change my opinion of Mr Stephens at all, though.

First of all when one of my canons has a shutter that is not up to snuff canon replaces it for free. If the $1800 is truly an upgrade price for a new shutter and a pretty screen that is a joke. I would pay that kind of money for image quality upgrade. Nothing else. this is a bad joke. David PS If you do not think you could sell your camera for say at least 3800 and then pay 1600 more for a brand new camera well that is a 200 dollar saving over these upgrades. Leica is doing a very nice hustle. Again hopefully that price is wrong . David

Anyone want to weigh in on David's prediction:

Also, I boldly (and recklessly) predict that a digital Voigtlander or Zeiss rangefinder will be introduced by our friends at Cosina with a full-frame sensor (possibly the same Foveon sensor that Sigma’s using) and a mount that can accept Leica M-mount lenses.

Now what is wrong with that? It offers the customers three choices

1. Keep on using the camera as is, no hardship imo

2. Get it up to newest specification if so desired at a fraction of the cost of a new one

3. Buy a new one.

Well said. The act of Leica providing a retrofit path--whether one chooses to take it or not--is the most important thing, in my opinion. It clearly communicates: "Your M8 is not disposable like other cameras today. It is durable, worth keeping, and can be retrofitted with the latest enhancements. It will not be cheap, but we can do it if you want." Part of the Zippo philosophy of dealing with mechanical objects. I like the possibility for future upgrades (beyond this one) that keep the camera viable for many, many years.

Thanks,

Will

Guest guy_mancuso

LEICA ANNOUNCEMENT

see left of this page

Thankyou to the Leica

Okay Andy you know as well as i that is about as unprofessional as it get's. Sorry my friend but he will be lucky to hold onto that Leica dealership.

Its not a shutter donwgrade ! Leica try to get the silent shutter the M´s where well known for again.

You are completely correct and I hang my head in shame

I've been playing with my M6 and M3 as penance... but I'll wait till I hear the new one first or read some details on what they're doing.

I guess that's a beef many folks in Manchester are having because their beloved football team is owned by Mr. Yankee Doodle Dandy.

I think an apology is due to David Stephens.

He is not a nut, or a liar or anything else that certain parties have called him these past two days.

Who's man enough to step up to the plate first?

Well said Andy

Just for information he offers a very good service including very fair price and great after sales. http://www.leicas.com

I have no connection other than a satisfied customer.

Brian

Anyone want to weigh in on David's prediction:

Neither Zeiss nor Cosina can do it ... they must find a partner, Epson again? or may be Sony. The 24MP FF sensor is simply mind boggling and I wonder if it's more or less than 1800 US dollars.

I guess that's a beef many folks in Manchester are having because their beloved football team is owned by Mr. Yankee Doodle Dandy.

I hadn't heard that the Americans had bought out Manchester City FC

Okay Andy you know as well as i that is about as unprofessional as it get's. Sorry my friend but he will be lucky to hold onto that Leica dealership.

I don't think Leica really cares about this, as long as David has a good network and can move a ton of Leica cameras, that's what they need.

I hadn't heard that the Americans had bought out Manchester City FC

I should have added the captain of England and Spice Girl.

I wouldn't have put it quite like that...

Doesn't change my opinion of Mr Stephens at all, though.

Andy, maybe you could persuade Mr Stephens to reconsider his statement and possibly inform him that there are some 300 million of us "yankee doodle dandy's" and only a rather small segment of that number thinks he is a nut, the rest of us are too busy...

Thanks,

-joe

Guest guy_mancuso

Simon I am not going to comment further on this subject but you have to put your thoughts as if you owned the company and how you and your dealership is looked at in a Global market. I think you know what i am talking about.