Lens Cap Options for 50mm Summicron?

johnastovall

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a 1970 production (III) 50mm Summicron and am trying to find an option for a lenshood that will snap in place when the lenshood is mounted in the inverted position. You can see from the image below that it looks like and the old cap. I've been told the new 37mm caps won't snap in the back of the inverted hood. The older cap just isn't very secure and I'm worried about it breaking or coming off when in a padded bag in my case.

Any suggestions?

eBay Store - Heavy2stars Photo Gear: Step Rings, Other Brand Hoods, Leica Items sells hood and cap kits that fits an e39 thread. A standard angle hood will work and you can get a vented or non vented hood. They'll run you $15-$20. Alternatively get a second hand 14268 cap from someone like keh.com they're +/- $10. It may be as wobbely, its a chance you take. Mine is not a tight fit, but it has never come off.

- Carl

I agree the HeavyStar hoods make good sense, I have one on my old Summilux. The only caution is that his products are painted, not anodised, so wear very quickly. For the price though, they are good value. I don't like the Leica hoods which fit on the lens backwards - the 90/4 is another example. The metal claws damage the lens finish and I don't subscribe to the shabby-chic look.

I use mine with out fear. The lens was originally supplied with 2 caps, the one you have shown which fits over the reversed hood and another smaller metal button cap which fitted over the lens barrel when the hood is not being used at all. Leica fitted (glued) a ring of red velvet inside this metal cap to make it a tight fit, perhaps you could do the same with the plastic one to make it tighter on the reversed hood. Worth a shot perhaps?. :)