Fungus

Chris W

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 hours ago, Ivar B said:

You should most definately NOT continue using it. I do recall that Leica at one point of time refused to accept fungal lenses as they were frightened that the fungus might spread. If a lens was fungal, it had to be sent to a special repair shop in Hamburg as I recall, which would kill fungus. I recall this happened to a friend of mine with an 1.0/50mm where Leica refused to accept the lens and also said that the required procedure would bee too expensive. He was able to find somone else, though.

It this is too strict I cannot tell nor am I certain that Leica still has this policy but I would take great care so fungus does not spread to my other lenses. 

The idea that fungus-affected lenses could be contagious does not conform to reality. The air around us carries millions of fungus spores of all kinds and any lens can be expected to carry a fair number on its surface at all times. The conditions that will determine fungus or not are moisture and temperature. 

1 minute ago, jaapv said:

The idea that fungus-affected lenses could be contagious does not conform to reality. The air around us carries millions of fungus spores of all kinds and any lens can be expected a fair number on its surface at any time. The conditions that will determine fungus or not are moisture and temperature. 

Perhaps so - but why does Leica then refuse to handle these?

You’ll have to ask Leica. In my profession I have learnt  not to look for rational reasons behind protocols. A futile exercise. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, jaapv said:

You’ll have to ask Leica. In my profession I have learnt  not to look for rational reasons behind protocols. A futile exercise. 

I don`t need to as I already have and I don`t have any affected lenses. This is the policy:

"Wetzlar is no longer accepting any optics (lenses or binoculars or telescopes) that show any sign of fungus. They will be received in triage and returned unserviced if there is any sign of fungus on the glass."

Could be that it is their cleaning tools they are worried about also and not spread from one lens to another.

Edited by Ivar B

21 minutes ago, Ivar B said:

Could be that it is their cleaning tools they are worried about also and not spread from one lens to another.

Could also be an excuse to refuse some work when they are overloaded - which is all the time.

54 minutes ago, Ivar B said:

I don`t need to as I already have and I don`t have any affected lenses. This is the policy:

"Wetzlar is no longer accepting any optics (lenses or binoculars or telescopes) that show any sign of fungus. They will be received in triage and returned unserviced if there is any sign of fungus on the glass."

I expect it’s simply a case of them not offering to clean fungus. Leica tends to repair gear to as close to original standards as they can. Fungus can cause etching which they can’t repair. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Ivar B said:

And too lazy to dip them in alcohol?

Regarding UV and lenses, its useful to be aware that some glass used in lenses is effective at blocking UV. I had a 35 Summicron v.4 with rear separation which I got 'reglued' as a favour (optics business who make lenses but normally don't repair) and they commented how the UV cured adhesive required a very strong dose of UV because the glass was pretty opaque to UV. So UV whilst it may kill fungus may also need to be pretty intenses to actually peetrate the glass at sufficiently high levels in order to do so. IMO if you want fungus sorted then nothing will beat stripping the lens down and cleaning and servicing it (and if it has been damp or in humid conditions it will probably need a service anyway).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, earleygallery said:

I expect it’s simply a case of them not offering to clean fungus. Leica tends to repair gear to as close to original standards as they can. Fungus can cause etching which they can’t repair. 

Yes, I suspect they don't want to attempt to repair something that will never be perfect again. They may have had (unfair) customer complaints in the past when they've tried to clean an infected lens.

4 minutes ago, Chris W said:

Yes, I suspect they don't want to attempt to repair something that will never be perfect again. They may have had (unfair) customer complaints in the past when they've tried to clean an infected lens.

When I had some fungus infested lenses cleaned the repairer stated up front that they coud clean the lenses but could not guarantee that the fungus would not return. If the lenses had been kept as previously they may well have been infected again. This may be part of Leica's reasoning.

• Like 1