Are these ring spots fungus in this viewfinder?

waigx

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey there,

I purchased a "New 21mm Leica Viewfinder 12008" on eBay and overall happy with the purchase. The seller says it is never used.

However under close inspection, I found ring spots appear inside the glass elements (see the image), but they are not super visible in most viewing angles.

I understand it is an old item might be stored for a long time. But are these fungus?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by waigx

• waigx changed the title to Are these ring spots fungus in this viewfinder?
1 hour ago, waigx said:

...I found ring spots appear inside the glass elements...are these fungus?

No.

I can't say with 100% certainty what they are but if you don't know what fungus in a lens looks like simply google 'Old Lens Fungus' and look at the 'Image' results.

Philip.

15 minutes ago, pippy said:

No.

I can't say with 100% certainty what they are but if you don't know what fungus in a lens looks like simply google 'Old Lens Fungus' and look at the 'Image' results.

Philip.

Thanks Philip. Yeah fungus I saw from others' photos are either "web" or "perfect circle". These look like water droplets on glasses but somehow inside the elements.

These look like the residue from droplets of condensation as a result of temperature fluctuations where it's been stored.  They don't look like fungus to me.  I recommend leaving the viewfinder face up in sunlight* for a day or two in case there is fungus that you haven't noticed - fungus shouldn't survive that if there is any.

Pete.

*Take care that the light passing through the viewfinder doesn't focus on something flammable and start a fire of course.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, farnz said:

These look like the residue from droplets of condensation as a result of temperature fluctuations where it's been stored.  They don't look like fungus to me.  I recommend leaving the viewfinder face up in sunlight* for a day or two in case there is fungus that you haven't noticed - fungus shouldn't survive that if there is any.

Pete.

*Take care that the light passing through the viewfinder doesn't focus on something flammable and start a fire of course.

Hey Pete,

Thanks for the analysis and tips! Now I feel they are most likely traces of condensation. I will be keep an eye when leave it to a sunbath.

Edited by waigx