European tour take the SL3 or stick to light and easy Q3

daned

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Planning our family vacation in Europe mostly Bavaria area. and wondered its worth taking the SL3 with eh beast of the lens 24-90 or just stick with the light weight Q3. Any tips suggestions as seems a lot of photo opportunity in Bavaria.

Would I compromise a lot with the Q3 quality wise or would the SL3 with the 24-90 be heavy equipment to carry for a 10 day non stop trip.

I am doing a European "tour" with Leica 24-70/2.8, Lumix S 14-28/4-5.6, and Lumix S 100/2.8 Macro. The 24-70/2.8 is the workhorse and often the only lens I take when leaving the hotel. I am happy with that combo.

You will be more comfortable with Q3 than with SL + 24-90.

• Like 1

Think most of the photography will be city and landscape - would carry only the Q3 for that... With 60mp and the possibility to crop a bit....

My SL2 (still waiting to get the SL3 😢) is my favorite camera for wildlife and people (street / people SL or M) - Q3 is the perfect tool for traveling😎. Went to Svalbard, Iceland and Faroer last year - 95% of the keepers were taken with the Q3. Enjoy your trip - I´m from south-west of Germany😎

• Like 2

2 hours ago, daned said:

Planning our family vacation in Europe mostly Bavaria area. and wondered its worth taking the SL3 with eh beast of the lens 24-90 or just stick with the light weight Q3. Any tips suggestions as seems a lot of photo opportunity in Bavaria.

Would I compromise a lot with the Q3 quality wise or would the SL3 with the 24-90 be heavy equipment to carry for a 10 day non stop trip.

Unless you're shooting specific interiors that need really wide fields of view, the Q3 will be more than enough.  

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Depends a lot on what you want to shoot and wether there are dedicated photo outings planned. I found the Q2 too limiting at the wide end in cities and at the long end for almost everything. But still very nice as a daily companion for allround travel. Having said that, the SL3 with the 24-70 is the most I can imagine schlepping around for a longer period. 

As someone who loves traveling as well as taking photos I would always recommend to take the most simple and light equipment with you. As long as you don’t intend to shoot certain genres, where you need an interchangeable lens camera, I would opt for the Q3. It’s the best “travel-camera” Leica has to offer.

Additionally you will look a little less touristy and maybe your family will be glad that Dad isn’t always fumbling around with his camera gear😉.

• Like 1

I’m debating the exact question as well. Last trip to Europe I took the Q only. For the next upcoming trip I will go with SL3 and two M lenses (Zeiss 35mm Distagon and Zeiss 85mm). I think I will leave the 24-90mm at home. 

• Like 1

Last summer I did Portugal with SL2-s with an APO 35 as my main lens and then 2 sigma c series primes the 24 and the 90.

I found I used the 35 and the 90 most and managed to take it all in a 6L sling.  Use cases will vary obviously, but it was manageable, a bit heavy by the end of the day.  

Have since bought a sony A7Cii and trying that out for travel, but always feel I am missing a bit on dynamic range and ISO performance vs the SL2s, however the weight is a joy.

As there is no perfect camera there is no perfect answer, whatever you take, you will get great images if you are with people you want to be around and are enjoying yourself.

Good luck.

Travelling light with the SL3 is easy. The f2 DG DN Sigma primes are outstanding and tiny with many to choose from.

For a city zoom consider the Panasonic 20-60. So far, my testing shows it's close to the Sigma 14-24 at equivalent focal lengths (not quite there but close). and it's very uasble range. Maybe add the tiny 100 macro to round out the kit.

Personally, I just sling the 24-90 over my shoulder as I value IQ above all elase.

Gordon

• Like 2

SLx with SL24-90 for me, too. And contrary to many/most (?), I put the camera in a top load pouch, as small as possible, hanging diagonal over one shoulder. This is how I carry one (or usually two) body(ies) when hiking, as well as in cities. When shooting, I hold the camera in a hand, secured with a simple wrist strap. I (almost) never use shoulder straps…

• Like 3

9 hours ago, daned said:

Family vacation I would take both, does your wife or other family members enjoy photography? If so, let them carry the Q3 and you the SL3.

I have the Q3 and its compact size and light weight (for its capabilities) make for an outstanding grab and go camera. However, if I was on vacation in Europe, I cannot imagine I would not be missing-at least on occasion, the SL3 along with the 24-90 and 90-280...I travel to Europe on business about 4 times a year, mostly to Germany, Italy and the UK. Some trips I will just take the Q3, but if I am taking any personal time or plan any special trips you can bet my SL3 and a couple of Leica zooms will be with me!