L Mounts Lens for SL3 to complement Q3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have placed a pre order for SL3 and plan to use it as a complementary to Q3. I started exploring Panasonic L mount Lens example 20-60mm and 100mm Macro for their light weight.
I am looking at focal length that will complement Q3 so maybe telephoto. 

I was exploring the 90mm focal length and beyond and wondering about M Lens for 90mm and 135mm. 

Maybe thinking to try 90mm SL APO. 

On the exploration stage… 

All the apo SL summicrons are absolutely epic.

But they don’t really look like the 28 1.7 on the Q cameras.

i think SL 50 1.4 or 24-90 would be best match for Q 28 

Robb

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Charles, since the Q lens focal length is really around 26mm +/-, double that focal length is a good place to start. I find that my Leica 50/2 SL Asph. (the Lumix S 50/1.8 version upgrade) on my SL2 is a very nice compliment for my Q2. They carry well together in my Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 30 bag. Given the circumstances, my Lumix S 100/2.8 macro or Leica 90/2 SL APO (needs a larger bag) are also good companions for the Q.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1800133-REG/think_tank_photo_710902_mirrorless_mover_30.html

Edited by goodbokeh
Typo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, goodbokeh said:

Charles, since the Q lens focal length is really around 26mm +/-, double that focal length is a good place to start. I find that my Leica 50/2 SL Asph. (the Lumix S 50/1.8 version upgrade) on my SL2 is a very nice compliment for my Q2. They carry well together in my Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 30 bag. Given the circumstances, my Lumix S 100/2.8 macro or Leica 90/2 SL APO (needs a larger bag) are also good companions for the Q.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1800133-REG/think_tank_photo_710902_mirrorless_mover_30.html

I was looking at SL APO 90mm vs 90mm f2 M lens, for bag I ordered the Hadley one bag. The lumix 100mm macro is indeed portable. When you using the SL ASPH vs SL APO do you notice image difference? 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, robb said:

All the apo SL summicrons are absolutely epic.

But they don’t really look like the 28 1.7 on the Q cameras.

i think SL 50 1.4 or 24-90 would be best match for Q 28 

Robb

Between SL ASPH vs SL APO...can I say you go with APO ?

Edited by charles tay

4 hours ago, charles tay said:

Charles there is a clear resolution and contrast edge that goes with the 90 SL APO. Can I say go for the 90 SL APO over the 50 SL Asph? No, because (for me) ultimate IQ is just one consideration and does not trump. The 50 SL Asph. is smaller, lighter, has faster and more assured low light AF and is the more flexible and comfortable focal length for my SL2 (when carrying it with my Q2). You might also consider splitting the 50 vs 90 focal length difference by looking at the Leica SL 75/2 APO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/24/2024 at 12:40 PM, goodbokeh said:

Charles there is a clear resolution and contrast edge that goes with the 90 SL APO. Can I say go for the 90 SL APO over the 50 SL Asph? No, because (for me) ultimate IQ is just one consideration and does not trump. The 50 SL Asph. is smaller, lighter, has faster and more assured low light AF and is the more flexible and comfortable focal length for my SL2 (when carrying it with my Q2). You might also consider splitting the 50 vs 90 focal length difference by looking at the Leica SL 75/2 APO.

The 75 APO is often overlooked, but it is my favorite APO SL lens (and I’m primarily a 50mm shooter).  The Q3 is perfectly usable to 50mm… in fact, I pretty much kept mine in the 50mm crop (which is also why I sold it in favor of just carrying my SL system).  Search for images made with the APO 75, you may fall in love with it.

• Like 1

I'll echo above, APO 75mm is stunning lens and less limiting than the 90mm.

If you don't mind the weight the 24-90 is stunning on the SL3. 

On 3/24/2024 at 8:04 AM, charles tay said:

If you're buying the ASPH you're buying a Panasonic lens with better mechanics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1