6-bit coded Leica flanges

egrossman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Fair question.  I didn't realize it was my error until later and then I was unable to update the feedback. Perhaps there is a way and I missed it, or maybe there's no way to changed feedback once it's saved.

If I had left good feedback I would have had to eat the bad purchase and start over. At least leaving the bad got the vendor to contact me, where we negotiated a solution satisfactory to both.

Edited by granite
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

The saga continues.

I received the replacement flanges, the ones that were supposed to solve all my flange woes. I installed the 35/135 flange. Once installed I tried mounting the lens to the camera. It fit into the lens opening fine but would not turn. I made no attempt to force it. I tried dismounting the flange and reinstalling it. Same results. I moved on to the 50/75 flange. It fit into the lens opening and would turn part way. As much as it would turn it felt very rough and would not turn far enough to lock into position. I made no attempt to install the 28/90 flange. so, abject failure.

I have contacted the seller, offered to return the replacements (at my own expense) and declined a refund. I just want to be done with this. I stand by my original negative feedback. To be fair to other sellers, I've been a member of eBay almost since they started and this is only the second time I've had any problems at all, and this seller was eager to resolve my original issue, it's just that the product itself is crap, or at least inconsistent with regard to build quality since others have reported success.

My next step is to go to Leica and purchase theirs.

• Thanks 2

I would love to buy 2 original flanges for my Summicrons and install them myself, but would prefer to buy within the EU, to avoid import taxes and delays. Does anyone know of a dealer in the EU that is selling the original flanges? 

9 minutes ago, mca said:

I would love to buy 2 original flanges for my Summicrons and install them myself, but would prefer to buy within the EU, to avoid import taxes and delays. Does anyone know of a dealer in the EU that is selling the original flanges? 

Hello Luis,

in your place I'd contact Leica Wetzlar , like spareparts (link here )

more contacts

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, Foto-Online said:

I just got my flanges from China. One for the 35mm Summilux ASPH (pre FLE) just worked fine, the other flange for my 90mm Elmarit just won´t  show the lens on my M10. It stays on "manual" lens setting. What did I do wrong?

Thx for any help. 

You could try a different kind of paint?

Perhaps the engravings are misaligned?

• 3 months later...

I followed @egrossman's advice, buying the Gaia paint and the applicators. I have an old M-Coding kit (lucky me!) that I hadn't used since I got it since pens—including Sharpies—just don't last long enough to get the lens on and off once. It's a big ugly mess on there, but the three CV lenses I have are being read by my M10M and my M11.

I coded the lenses as follows.

Voigtlander 35mm 2 APO-Lanthar=Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH    11879 (I guess I should code as the 35mm APO-Summicron-M 35mm APO, but what is the code for that?) 

Voigtlander 75mm 1.8 Heliar Classic=Summarit-M 75mm f/2.5    11645

Voigtlander 50mm 1.5 Heliar Classic=Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH    11891

The M10M reads the last one correctly, but my M11 won't read it. I'm trying to recode it again, although if the other lenses are reading, I can just set it as the only active M non-coded lens and that will be fine.  

Other ideas welcome. Hope the paint holds up. 

7 minutes ago, intermediatic said:

I followed @egrossman's advice, buying the Gaia paint and the applicators. I have an old M-Coding kit (lucky me!) that I hadn't used since I got it since pens—including Sharpies—just don't last long enough to get the lens on and off once. It's a big ugly mess on there, but the three CV lenses I have are being read by my M10M and my M11.

I coded the lenses as follows.

Voigtlander 35mm 2 APO-Lanthar=Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH    11879 (I guess I should code as the 35mm APO-Summicron-M 35mm APO, but what is the code for that?) 

Voigtlander 75mm 1.8 Heliar Classic=Summarit-M 75mm f/2.5    11645

Voigtlander 50mm 1.5 Heliar Classic=Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH    11891

The M10M reads the last one correctly, but my M11 won't read it. I'm trying to recode it again, although if the other lenses are reading, I can just set it as the only active M non-coded lens and that will be fine.  

Other ideas welcome. Hope the paint holds up. 

@intermediaticYou may have missed my follow-up comment: Further update: despite Don Goldberg's recommendation, I didn't have any success getting the camera to read the Gaia paint-coded Leica flange. Removed the paint with a toothpick and went back to the Uni Posca paint pens which worked.

Try using something else other than the Gaia paint to code the flange.

Erik

10 hours ago, egrossman said:

@intermediaticYou may have missed my follow-up comment: Further update: despite Don Goldberg's recommendation, I didn't have any success getting the camera to read the Gaia paint-coded Leica flange. Removed the paint with a toothpick and went back to the Uni Posca paint pens which worked.

Try using something else other than the Gaia paint to code the flange.

Erik

Oh, I have 100% success now. I tried a bunch of pens and they didn’t work out, the Gaia paint is great.  Curious why you chose it though.

I didn’t apply enough paint for the 50 to read on the M11 but I added more and it’s fine now. The big question is going to be how long it lasts. 

Edited by intermediatic

28 minutes ago, intermediatic said:

The big question is going to be how long it lasts. 

Your are applying paint in the pits. Nothing scratches this area. The paint should last a long time. As far as paint goes, most model paints should work - Humbrol, Tamaya, Airfix etc. Just use matt and not shiny paint.

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, AndreasG said:

Visit ebay and look for "6bit Leica flange", you get many returns.

Thank you - that produced a result.  I ordered one.  Yesterday I did the low tech method of using a black sharpie to make lines where the codes go and it is registering on my M10M as 2/50.  That might ultimately be the method I end up sticking with anyhow.  

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve read through the thread. Can’t the lens be manually entered through the lens detection menu? I don’t have the money for the flange replacements and don’t see why one wouldn’t just do that.

I own mostly older Leica thread mount and several Voight lenses as well. Can’t I merely select any of the corresponding focal length choices so I have that exif data recorded versus coding. Isn’t coding doing the same thing? What is the manual lens selections feature meant for in the lens detection options.

Just trying to make sense of the process.

Edited by codocee
Correction

1 hour ago, codocee said:

I’ve read through the thread. Can’t the lens be manually entered through the lens detection menu? I don’t have the money for the flange replacements and don’t see why one wouldn’t just do that.

I own mostly older Leica thread mount and several Voight lenses as well. Can’t I merely select any of the corresponding focal length choices so I have that exif data recorded versus coding. Isn’t coding doing the same thing? What is the manual lens selections feature meant for in the lens detection options.

Just trying to make sense of the process.

Yes. Lenses can be picked from a list. Only Leica lenses are listed. A lens that was manufactured only with 6bit coded flanges are not on the list.

Edited by jdlaing

• 1 year later...

I asked about buying these spare flanges from Leica Germany (spareparts@leica-camera.com) since I live in Europe. They replied that they don't sell end users any lens or camera parts. It seems like I need to either send the lenses there or ask if some local camera services can order those parts and do the conversion. I don't want to use 3rd party flanges since I've had some LTM-M adapters where the chrome started to peel off. Those went straight to the trash since I don't want sharp burrs into my camera shutter.