Trick or Treat?

1 hour ago, luigi bertolotti said:

..... too good to be true ?

It is a first sale from a newly registered ebay seller 🤨. I won't be bidding!

Edited by pgk

Seller in Scotland is an individual and not a dealer. It looks like a one-off hammer paint job on the camera and the Visoflex. 'Auction' runs until Tuesday, so the price is likely to rise. Like Luigi I have rarely bought anything on eBay and certainly not any Leica cameras. I tend to use the 'proper auctions' or dealers that I trust.

William 

I've bought several Leica bodies and lenses from Ebay with only one issue in 16 years. However, each week a different seller with zero previous sales or feedback offers a much more expensive piece of Leica gear for between $5-700 USD. It is a scam as best as I can tell in all cases. Buyer beware of "newbie" listings well below market prices.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, willeica said:

I tend to use the 'proper auctions' or dealers that I trust.

Where such an item with an auctioneer's backing for its validity could make a lot of money. I find it intriguing that it has had a film put through it🤔.

1 hour ago, spydrxx said:

I've bought several Leica bodies and lenses from Ebay with only one issue in 16 years. However, each week a different seller with zero previous sales or feedback offers a much more expensive piece of Leica gear for between $5-700 USD. It is a scam as best as I can tell in all cases. Buyer beware of "newbie" listings well below market prices.

This one is for an item for which there is no known ‘market price’. Secondly, it is currently at a ‘low’ price, but it could go much higher before the auction ends. As for the lack of prior listings, everyone will have their own view, but it could be wrong to assume that there will be no bidders.

William

Price doesn't mean anything at this point as it's an auction with no 'buy it now' option. I (and many other people) never bid on anything important until the last minute.

Without provenance, you'd have to assume it's been refinished by a third party. Anyone interested probably hasn't got enough time to get a response from the archive about whether the (starred) serial number suggests anything other than this.

They say 'We will accept a bank transfer for this item'. I don't know if that is meant to imply 'only', which would be very suspicious, but I wouldn't pay by this method in any case. If you stick rigidly to the standard payment system and aren't tricked by a scammer's messages into making any transactions outside it, ebay are usually good about refunds. But bank transfers are explicitly not covered by this protection, and of course you'd have no credit card protection either:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?id=4210

Edited by Anbaric

A kind request for everybody posting about auctions or online sales - please include a print screen, otherwise after a few months when eBay (or anybody else) deletes all the traces of a mentioned auction this thread will be just a bunch of meaningless jibberish. With an image of what is actually discussed it could be educational and make sense even in the future.

I have bought TONS of camera gear on eBay (I have over 700 transactions), including almost all my Barnack inventory. Hard to resist those III's for 150-200 euros...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

I have bought TONS of camera gear on eBay (I have over 700 transactions)

I have over 950 transactions on ebay over a 23 year span.  (Not all transactions were for camera equipment.)  I have only had one bad transaction which implies 99.9% honest people.  The seller refused to ship a Nikon Model 1 reflex housing even though I had paid for it.  Ebay refunded by money.  Ironically the same reflex housing showed up at Dan Tamarkin's annual auction a year later.  I won it again, and the second time at a lower price.  For me Ebay is an essential market from tiny camera screws to extremely rare and unusual camera equipment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

No, because it clearly says PayPal under Payments. (See image 😊)

Sure, but scammers (and maybe others) sometimes try to work outside the system and persuade you to pay some other way even when they list PP (I think they are obliged to offer electronic payment in the listing, even if they don't want to use it), e.g.:

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Buying-on-eBay-DND/Seller-wants-payment-via-bank-transfer/qaq-p/6866745

If I had this kind of message, I would walk away.

Edited by Anbaric
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

Sure, but scammers (and maybe others) sometimes try to work outside the system and persuade you to pay some other way even when they list PP (I think they are obliged to offer electronic payment in the listing, even if they don't want to use it), e.g.:

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Buying-on-eBay-DND/Seller-wants-payment-via-bank-transfer/qaq-p/6866745

If I had this kind of message, I would walk away.

I do sell as well on ebay and ebay sometimes truly DOES put PayPal payments to sellers on hold for 3 weeks for some bizarre reasons. I have had legit auctions I won cancelled because after payment, the seller has informed me that ebay will pay him after 3 weeks and he needs the money now. He refunded my money and never relisted the item.

• Like 1

When somebody is new on ebay and offers something for sale for the first time the buyer's payment is put "on hold" by ebay as a security - for the buyer. New sellers are clearly told this before the auction starts. If the seller sends the items and the buyer confirms that he got it, the payment will be released immediately. I cannot complain about this. 

• Like 1

There may well be genuine sellers caught by this delay, and unaware that the funds can be released sooner, but this can also be used as an excuse by someone who wants you to pay outside ebay for more dubious reasons, as can unspecified 'problems with paypal'. Just be aware that payments made by bank transfer aren't protected, whatever the reason.

• Like 1

There are little bargains to be found on e Bay if you keep trawling through, which I am trying to stop doing. The bargains get snapped up very quickly, but I have never spent a lot of money on anything, £200-300 at the most. Equally I have sold a lot of items there as it is a good place to clear out things you no longer need that are too small in value to be of interest to a dealer.

Wow, wow, wow. But all looks genuine to me, he's definitely not a calculating evil mastermind given it ends on a Tuesday lunchtime. I just hope he knows how much it could be worth. Dot the i's and cross the t's and eBay isn't too scary, the last IIIf I bought was by making a 'best offer' and when it arrived there was a six month old receipt from Malcom Taylor for a full service that cost more than the camera!  

• Like 4

I cannot find any mention of this type of camera in any of my Leica books, the grey hammertone MD cameras of a similar period have a very different finish.

The seller is actually only about 1 hours drive from myself, looks too good to be true.

https://f22cameras.com/en/leica-m2-hammertone-repainted-by-takahashi-studio-japan

Edited by beoon
link added
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, beoon said:

I cannot find any mention of this type of camera in any of my Leica books, the grey hammertone MD cameras of a similar period have a very different finish.

The seller is actually only about 1 hours drive from myself, looks too good to be true.

https://f22cameras.com/en/leica-m2-hammertone-repainted-by-takahashi-studio-japan

... try writing to him asking to see the item in person... 😎