M11 Tips and Tricks

M Journey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thought I would start a thread for people to share their tips and tricks for the m11.  This can include how to find/toggle features or best ways to utilize the function buttons.

Tip # 1 - Toggle on Level Gauge and other focus aids

Step 1 - In the menu system, click on Capture Assistants

Step 2 - Click on Info Profiles

Step 3 - Click on one of the Info profiles to turn it on

Step 4 - Modify the focus assistance options for Info Bars, Grids, Cipping, Focus Peaking, Level Gauge, Histogram

• Like 3

Tip # 2 - Assign function buttons/faster ISO selection

There are three customizable function buttons on the m11:  the FN button on the back, the wheel where your thumb rests, and the button next to the shutter.  If you hold any of these buttons for a few seconds a menu will come up that lets you assign a function to that button.  Someone else mentioned that they assign manual ISO to the thumb wheel.  You will need to set the ISO knob to M but this will make setting your ISO on the fly infinitely faster.  I set the FN button on the back for live view.  Haven't decided what I want the button next to the shutter to do, maybe digital zoom (cropping)?

• Like 7

• 1 year later...

You might find the dedicated iso wheel on the left more useful than you thought if you leave it in the raised position, from which it can be freely rotated with a finger.  I'm not aware that this is bad in any way, except if shooting in rain extra protection might be got from the down position.  Perhaps someone can shed any extra light on this?

10 hours ago, Capella said:

You might find the dedicated iso wheel on the left more useful than you thought if you leave it in the raised position, from which it can be freely rotated with a finger.  I'm not aware that this is bad in any way, except if shooting in rain extra protection might be got from the down position.  Perhaps someone can shed any extra light on this?

On the M11M (not sure about the M11) I set the dedicated ISO wheel to the M setting and then programme the thumb wheel behind the shutter button to change iso (you can also change it easily to auto from there). It’s a much easier way for me. 

Tip # 6: Do not select lens detection auto for uncoded lenses. This user error has been and could remain a cause of freeze apparently. Prefer lens detection manual or lens detection off. Better so, hand code your uncoded lenses if you can, this way you can select lens detection auto with no problem at all. 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 10:13 PM, lct said:

Tip # 6: Do not select lens detection auto for uncoded lenses. This user error has been and could remain a cause of freeze apparently. Prefer lens detection manual or lens detection off. Better so, hand code your uncoded lenses if you can, this way you can select lens detection auto with no problem at all. 

I have had coded many of my uncoded lenses, however I do set up Leica lens equivalents for my uncoded lenses which seems to work just fine-so far.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, algrove said:

I have had coded many of my uncoded lenses, however I do set up Leica lens equivalents for my uncoded lenses which seems to work just fine-so far.

You don't select lens detection auto but lens detection manual i suspect then, right?

1 hour ago, lct said:

You don't select lens detection auto but lens detection manual i suspect then, right?

I leave it on auto lens detection. If I forget it just reverts to the last uncoded lens I told it to use.

Edited by algrove

3 minutes ago, algrove said:

IlLeave it on auto lens detection. If I forget it just reverts to the last uncoded lens I told it to use.

Some LUF members seem to have got freeze issues this way but no problem as long as it works for you. 

17 hours ago, algrove said:

I leave it on auto lens detection. If I forget it just reverts to the last uncoded lens I told it to use.

Same here, but I only have one uncoded lens, which might help the camera choose it without freaking out and freezing. Then again, I’ve never had any freezes with my camera so maybe my particular settings minimise the risk of that happening. 

• Like 1