New challenger : X100 VI vs Q3 in 35mm crop mode

I think the more appropriate comparison should be the Fuji XT-5 with the Fujinon 23 1.4 lens. Comparable in size and aperture diameter. Should result in roughly the same DoF and doesn't have the optical viewfinder like the Q3. But then it's not a fixed camera anymore and opens a whole other can of worms we shouldn't get into to not derail the thread. I'm sure the X100VI is a fine camera as is the Q3. Are they comparable? Imho no. But I still am interested in the results.

• Like 2

I loved the x100 for everything, except for its size, it was just too small. The Q is perfect in that sense. But the Q is too wide for me… 

Both are great cameras, and we should be great full that still many people fancy this above a phone. Both companies make great money with those compacts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a Fuji X100V for 2 weeks, returned; it didn't work for me. I do not like - ergonomic and controls, OVF/EVF combo, menu. Camera looks nice but fully missing rangefinder simplicity and fun-to-use. For me, it was like a brick with way too many buttons, wheels, clicks... 

Only I really like is 35mm lens flat design. I'd keep it if has full frame sensor. Nothing more than I can do with iPhone 15 Pro. 

10 minutes ago, mhasman said:

I had a Fuji X100V for 2 weeks, returned; it didn't work for me. I do not like - ergonomic and controls, OVF/EVF combo, menu. Camera looks nice but fully missing rangefinder simplicity and fun-to-use. For me, it was like a brick with way too many buttons, wheels, clicks... 

Only I really like is 35mm lens flat design. I'd keep it if has full frame sensor. Nothing more than I can do with iPhone 15 Pro. 

IMO, the biggest advantage of the X100 series over Q is the OVF, something M owners appreciate.

The IQ difference between APS-C and FF is small. The IQ difference between FF/APS-C/m43 and an iPhone 15 Pro Max is huge.

• Like 2

> IMO, the biggest advantage of the X100 series over Q is the OVF, something M owners appreciate. 

OVF in X100 is useless, nothing like M. In rangefinder-like camera, all the fun is having the rangefinder focusing OVF. In X100, it is just a hole covered with glass. 

> The IQ difference between APS-C and FF is small. The IQ difference between FF/APS-C/m43 and an iPhone 15 Pro Max is huge. 

Difference between APS-C and FF is HUGE. Difference between APS-C and iPhone 15 Pro is almost nothing. 

Everything above is IMO :) 

Edited by mhasman
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

31 minutes ago, mhasman said:

> IMO, the biggest advantage of the X100 series over Q is the OVF, something M owners appreciate. 

OVF in X100 is useless, nothing like M. In rangefinder-like camera, all the fun is having the rangefinder focusing OVF. In X100, it is just a hole covered with glass. 

> The IQ difference between APS-C and FF is small. The IQ difference between FF/APS-C/m43 and an iPhone 15 Pro Max is huge. 

Difference between APS-C and FF is HUGE. Difference between APS-C and iPhone 15 Pro is almost nothing. 

Everything above is IMO :) 

Pretty strong ‘opinions’.

As Bill Bullard said…opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge.

I have x100v and still use time to time for just myself and had q2 before and sold it to buy m11m. If you just want to post your photos to instagram and even print them out as a reasonable size, x100v is way enough. I think x100vi will be better than x100v and worth to upgrade because of having 40mp and ibis especially. 

But q series are way better camera than x100 series. Leica has more user friendly menu system, full frame makes really difference, q series have better ergonomics. Pricey of course, but if you want something premium class, worth it. They seem to be similar cameras (as point-shoot) but in fact they are really different. Therefore IMO one cant replace another, it depends on what you need from camera. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mhasman said:

The rangefinder mechanism is only about focusing. The OVF is about framing, seeing the details in the shadows, and enjoying the image. EVF's lack of dynamic makes framing often difficult.

1 hour ago, mhasman said:

Your opinion is not reproducible by any observation, experience, or measurement.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, FocusDot said:

I am one of those who changed to Q2 after having X100V. No regrets. Nevertheless it was a great little camera...
X100VI seems to be even better implementing some 40 Mp sensor and some interesting features seen in XT-5

For those interested - a very nice review:

https://jonasraskphotography.com/2024/02/20/returning-to-form-the-fujifilm-x100vi-review/

Thanks for the link !

• Like 1

The Fuji X100 VI is sexy. But that’s really it. You think you’re getting 40 Megapixels out of it? Think again. I saw 2 side by side comparisons so far and the difference in image quality is almost none existent. The Q3 will destroy it in resolving power. The Fuji menu is horrible and probably one of the worst on the market. I still think it’s an excellent option for a lot of people, but don’t let the marketing fool you, 40 megapixels out of that lens is a joke. 

• Like 2

Again, my Q images really blew my X series images out of the water.

The X100 series is for people who can't afford a Q. They are both easy cameras to carry around all day. I shot hundreds of images I'm proud of when I had my X100T. The images I made with my Q were just a lot lovelier out of the camera. I can't afford a Q2 and don't want to shoot at 28mm all the time (with the Q). So I have neither camera. Nothing drives me to buy another X100 (V or VI).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Qwertynm said:

I don't think those two markets overlap that much.

The cameras do a similar job. One is 28mm fixed, the other is 35mm fixed. One is everyday priced, the other premium priced.

Having owned and used both extensively, I would say the Q series is the logical upgrade to an X100 series owner. 

I had an XT-4 which was very different to the X100 and Q. The Q series embraces simplicity and image quality. The XT series is over complicated, too many options and buttons, the X100 a lower quality than the Q.

Edited by Chris W
  • Like 3

vor 43 Minuten schrieb Chris W:

(...) everyday priced (...)

I don't want to offend you, but you have lost touch with reality. We are in a very small bubble here who can afford 6k for a piece of equipment for our leisure activities. I think for many people even 1.7k$ for a fixed FL camera (X100) is kind of a stretch. Most people won't just drop 6k on a fixed FL camera because it's the "logical upgrade" to their X100.

I agree with you that they are similar cameras that do similar things. But not everyone wants a fixed FL camera and not many people even want a 6k fixed FL camera. And who can blame them? It's not a logical purchase 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I was waiting for someone to throw some mud in the forum and here it is.

The x100VI is not a competitor. It is optically inferior along with the engineering, design and build of the unit. Its targeting a wanna be Leica market, a market that can't afford to get into a Leica family. Yes, there are users on the forum who are going to buy one and I don't condone that but to compare it to a Q series or even an M series camera is ...................................

This is yet another desperate attempt by fuji to try and cash in on the youtuber influenced popularity of their previous camera. I really dont care if I get removed from the forum but if you are comparing the Q series to x100vi, then you have no idea of what Leica and it's cameras are as a brand and way of life in photography. 

You are trying to compare a budget camera with a premium, high quality engineered, historically stable brand such as Leica. 

If you search youtube, there seems to be a massive group of people trying to convince themselves that their cameras, cars, dogs, planes, whatever are just as good if not better than high end prestige versions. These are people who flat out can't afford and have to try and convince themselves that their lower quality gear is just as good and so they just don't need to buy the better more expensive brand.

Your post is just more comparable, self convincing dribble.

Admins, feel free to pull the plug on my account if you need to......I really can't be bothered seeing posts from now on comparing other cameras to Leica cameras in a Leica forum.

I have joined the Family and will be Loyal to the Family.

Edited by jaapv
sexist remark removed
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

20 hours ago, FocusDot said:

Hmm...I really liked the colors from X100V and especially from XT-3 that I tested for a week or so...

I readily admit I may not have been skillful or persistent enough in trying to get colors from the X100V I really like.