Switching from Sony G Masters to Leica SL - what lenses?

Nedward

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So after much deliberation I'm pulling the trigger on a used SL2S and trying to contemplate my lens selections. (plan is to then pick up a new SL3 once it settles) I'm a working pro, mainly video but the Leica set up will mainly be for reportage style photography projects. Im thinking the two new SL F2 crons 35mm and 50mm to get me going are a good choice...but hang on a minute, I just know I won't be happy if for a moment I even suspected the Sony GM line were going to yield superior imagery to those two "entry level" lenses. So in all honesty should I just go straight in for the two APO's . Can anyone tell me in the real world how these two non APO lenses will stack up to Sonys best?

Thanks in advance folks.

Sorry, don't know the new Crons. But I come from Sony as well. So I'll be happy to share some experiences. I decided to get one APO (the 90mm) for my favourite focal length. Sigma/Panasonic for the rest. The APO is absolutely stand out. No GM would come close to it. But the Sigmas are really good as well. The 35/1.2 is a league of its own. Also, the Panasonic 50/1.4 is outstanding (or can be, I had one terrible and one amazing copy).
Not from personal experience, but from what I've read, I would not get the “cheap” Crons, since they are more or less rebranded Panasonics.

If you can afford it, get the APOs (e.g. 35 and 75/90). If not, get other L-Mount lenses from Sigma or Panasonic.

vor 28 Minuten schrieb Nedward:

Thanks , Interesting what you say about the 90 APO V Sony but I guess thats the bottom line isn't it! APO if I can afford it...

Pretty much 😉
But I have to admit, in a blind test I did here on the forum a majority picked images from the Sigma 85/1.4 over those from the 90 APO. But those images were downsized, the APO shines in the details.

Ahh but did I mention that! I’ll keep the 50 1.2, 35 1.4 and 85 1.4 for video interviews. I’m not even going to attempt to challenge that superb Sony autofocus at 1.2 , simply amazing for interviews where you can’t manage the background or there is no dept. I don’t have an issue justifying that, those boys bring in the money, the issue is justifying the Leica spend tbh…

17 hours ago, Nedward said:

Ahh but did I mention that! I’ll keep the 50 1.2, 35 1.4 and 85 1.4 for video interviews. I’m not even going to attempt to challenge that superb Sony autofocus at 1.2 , simply amazing for interviews where you can’t manage the background or there is no dept. I don’t have an issue justifying that, those boys bring in the money, the issue is justifying the Leica spend tbh…

If you need an AF 50/1.2, your choices are Canon and Sony at this point. Your 35 can be swapped for a Sigma 1.2 (as could the 85 with a Sigma 1.4). Lens Rentals found that The 35GM was the third best 35 in Sony mount, after Tamron and Sigma. Of course, their criteria could be different from yours, so you should test before buying.

Lots of people look down their noses at the ASPH 35 and 50, because they aren't as "noble" as the APO equivalents. I see them as counterparts to the M Summicrons: solid performers with a more traditional look and a lower price.

One series to keep in mind, if you are shooting video, are the Panasonic lenses with clutch AF: 24-105, 50/1.4, 16-35/4.0. They switch from AF to mechanical MF by pushing or pulling on the focus ring, so you can do follow-focus. All Panasonic lenses have extremely low focus breathing, something which video shooters appreciate.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 10:45 AM, Nedward said:

So after much deliberation I'm pulling the trigger on a used SL2S and trying to contemplate my lens selections. (plan is to then pick up a new SL3 once it settles) I'm a working pro, mainly video but the Leica set up will mainly be for reportage style photography projects. Im thinking the two new SL F2 crons 35mm and 50mm to get me going are a good choice...but hang on a minute, I just know I won't be happy if for a moment I even suspected the Sony GM line were going to yield superior imagery to those two "entry level" lenses. So in all honesty should I just go straight in for the two APO's . Can anyone tell me in the real world how these two non APO lenses will stack up to Sonys best?

Thanks in advance folks.

Nedward, I have the Sony system (A1 & A7R5) and the SL2. The Leica 50 Asph I have is very good, I say it is overall equivalent to my Sony G 50/2.4. I also have the 90 APO and it is superior to my 85/1.8 Zeiss Batis and that is saying something. So if you have to have the very best IQ then yes get the APOs for your future SL3. Other than for the incredible contrast and APO correction the APOs are underutilized on your 24MP SL2S.

The Leica 35 & 50 Asph lenses are based on the Panasonic Lumix S primes which are a very impressive set and haptically very similar to Leica SL lenses. All of the S primes are basically the same size and weight 18-24-35-50-85-100. I have the 18/1.8 & 100/2.8 and they are fantastic. The Lumix S primes are superior for video compared to Sony lenses because they optically minimize breathing, no digital correction necessary. BTW, your SL2S is a great video camera if you can work with the CDAF limitations or prefer manual focus.

Edited by goodbokeh
Added info.
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 5:28 PM, goodbokeh said:

Nedward, I have the Sony system (A1 & A7R5) and the SL2. The Leica 50 Asph I have is very good, I say it is overall equivalent to my Sony G 50/2.4. I also have the 90 APO and it is superior to my 85/1.8 Zeiss Batis and that is saying something. So if you have to have the very best IQ then yes get the APOs for your future SL3. Other than for the incredible contrast and APO correction the APOs are underutilized on your 24MP SL2S.

The Leica 35 & 50 Asph lenses are based on the Panasonic Lumix S primes which are a very impressive set and haptically very similar to Leica SL lenses. All of the S primes are basically the same size and weight 18-24-35-50-85-100. I have the 18/1.8 & 100/2.8 and they are fantastic. The Lumix S primes are superior for video compared to Sony lenses because they optically minimize breathing, no digital correction necessary. BTW, your SL2S is a great video camera if you can work with the CDAF limitations or prefer manual focus.

Hey, thanks for that response. Have you any experience with the Sony 35 F1.4G and how that might compare to the SL 35 ASPH, I know the APO 35 will be the best of the three, just don't know if I can accept something that I know is possible not as good as the Sony 35 F1.4 I use today, referring to the ASPH 35mmF2. Cheers

vor 47 Minuten schrieb Nedward:

Hey, thanks for that response. Have you any experience with the Sony 35 F1.4G and how that might compare to the SL 35 ASPH, I know the APO 35 will be the best of the three, just don't know if I can accept something that I know is possible not as good as the Sony 35 F1.4 I use today, referring to the ASPH 35mmF2. Cheers

Me again. On the Sony, I preferred the Sigma 35/1.2 over the Sony 35/1.4. Yes, the Sony has faster AF and is way smaller/lighter, but the Sigma just has outstanding image quality! Got the Sigma for the L-Mount as well. The APO is still of interest to me, but I can't justify the price in comparison to the 35/1.2. So if the weight doesn't put you off, get the 35/1.2. You'll save a couple of bucks, even compared the the ASPH and can be sure that the image quality is at least as good as the Sony 35/1.4.

• Like 1

Have you any thoughts on how the Leica 35 ASPH compares to the Sigma 35 F1.2, assuming shooting both at F2. Or maybe another way of answering that is, when you're heading out to shoot, do you grab the sigma 35 of the Leica 35? N

2 hours ago, Nedward said:

Nedward I have the Sony 35/1.4 GM and it's a keeper for me. I don't have either the Leica SL 35/2 Asph or Panasonic S 35/1.8 so I can't help you with direct experience. If IQ is your top priority then the Leica 35/2 APO is the answer for your future SL3. I recommend checking for used mint examples, over here I see 35 APOs going for around $3,000 US +/-. Used-mint is how I bought my 90 APO, it's like no other lens I own and I own a lot of them.

• Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Nedward:

Have you any thoughts on how the Leica 35 ASPH compares to the Sigma 35 F1.2, assuming shooting both at F2. Or maybe another way of answering that is, when you're heading out to shoot, do you grab the sigma 35 of the Leica 35? N

Sorry, I only have the Sigma, never tested the ASPH. I did compare the Sigma to the APO 35 and they were very close. The Sigma has a very special look at F/1.2 and is super sharp by F/2, but the APOs have this 3D pop going on that make the subjects seem more separated than the F/2 aperture should allow (perceived depth). I basically found the same with the comparison of APO 90/2 and Sigma 85/1.4, which is the only APO I just bought for the hell of it. If I had the money, I'd get the 35 APO in a heartbeat, but for now, the Sigma is a worthy substitute.
As @goodbokeh said, have a look at the used market. The APO lenses go for around 2.000 $/€ less used than new. Overall, everything SL looses a shit ton of money the moment you take it out of the store if you buy it new. I got my 90 at around the sme price as him and recently was very tempted by a 35 for only 2.500.