R lenses on Sony A7CR

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, I am considering getting a Sony A7CR to use my collection of R lenses (35 Elmarit, 50 and 90 Summicron, 35-70 Vario-Elmar f4) alongside my R6 body. I am choosing the A7CR over the A7R5 as it is cheaper and smaller. Therefore, I may mostly use the 35 and 50 because of the body size, perhaps the 90 sometimes.

I know Sony bodies have been used successfully to mount R lenses. I am presuming there are no issues mounting them on the A7CR, I’ve not been able to find anything on the interwebs? Can anyone recommend a quality adaptor to do the job, please?

Thanks

I've used a few that don't seem to be available anymore. Reasonable cost looks like the URTH is worth a try.

I've used a number of cheap adapters for my various makes of SLR lenses to A7, and all I've tried have been OK.

• Thanks 1

Novoflex or URTH. Novoflex is best (almost Leica quality) and sometimes lighter than others because they use aluminium in some adapters. URTH is very good value for money IMO and does the job as it should.

Fotodiox and K&F can do the job, but are not as precise. Sometimes the lens fit is too tight and sharp and could damage camera and/or lens bayonet slightly. Also, I have one Fotodiox M adapter that has a very weak spring lock so that you are in danger of losing the lens at the slightest touch. It is probably a production issue, but I would hesitate to recommend the last two for daily use.

• Thanks 1

I would not recomend a A7c for adapting R lenses,because the viewfinder is much to small for manuell focusing of R lenses,and color rendition of Sony with Leica Lenses is suboptimal.In my opinion a Pana S5ll is in every terms better for Leica Lenses.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, eibenbaum said:

I would not recomend a A7c for adapting R lenses,because the viewfinder is much to small for manuell focusing of R lenses,and color rendition of Sony with Leica Lenses is suboptimal.In my opinion a Pana S5ll is in every terms better for Leica Lenses.

Yes, I had also been considering an a7r5 for that very reason. I only do b/w so colour not a critical issue for me. Also thinking a second hand q2 😁 might be better

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eibenbaum said:

Having used R lenses on various Sony bodies for years, allow me to disagree about the colour comment.  Until relatively recently (ahem, using Sony sensors), it was the only way to shoot at > 24 MP.  The "color thing" is incredibly subjective anyway, and a DRAW like Capture One Pro can let you change the colour to whatever you desire.  If you shoot RAW that is 😃

I do agree, however, about the viewfinder remark.  Although even then the one in my ⍺7RIV isn't as good as the one in my 2015 SL (typ 601).  Mind you, I don't spend all day with the camera attached to my face.  Mainly only use it for quickly checking focus and framing.

No one has recommended the Rayqual adapters yet. It's the only adapter I have used which has the exact lens-to-body distance. All the others I have tried over the years have been a little short, which means you focus past infinity unless you shim the mount (I'm looking at you too Novoflex).

You can get Rayquals at BHPhoto, but below is the link to their Japanese supplier:

https://japanhobbytool.com/products/sony-αe-body-r-lens

You'll notice they also make lots of mounts for other lens/ camera combinations.  Including L-mount:

https://japanhobbytool.com/collections/lma-leical

• Like 1