The quality (or lack) in Leica Master Shots

BjarniM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am really wondering and thinking about selection criteria for Leica Master Shots in LFI from Leica.

I have many times submitted photographs, but never gotten one single photograph through the selection/editor(s).

Even though my photographs have both a better narrative and technical quality than many of those in the LFI Leica Master Shots.

Is the LFI gallery just a closed country club?

Why don't you show us some of your favorite images, that you have created?

LFI gallery appear to be running some topical contests from time to time, I don't know if participating in those would give you a better chance of acceptance.

Lastly, I noticed a high number of Leica Q pictures in the gallery. This seems to indicate some preference for that 28mm look. Your question about criteria - maybe use a Q, and they might like you better?

2 hours ago, BjarniM said:

Even though my photographs have both a better narrative and technical quality than many of those in the LFI Leica Master Shots.

I don't know what the LFI Leica Master Shots is,  but in any competition you will have to agree the judges have their own preferences. Which is how some people can win all sorts of competitions, they pander to the judges and do their research beforehand. So if making the sorts of photos you like doesn't appeal to the judges either give them the finger or become part of the problem.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mzbe said:

Why don't you show us some of your favorite images, that you have created?

LFI gallery appear to be running some topical contests from time to time, I don't know if participating in those would give you a better chance of acceptance.

Lastly, I noticed a high number of Leica Q pictures in the gallery. This seems to indicate some preference for that 28mm look. Your question about criteria - maybe use a Q, and they might like you better?

I would happily share some photos, but there seems to be no way through the editor(s), so if I mange to knock a hole in LFI, I would love to share some photos.

Lately there are a decent amount of Q2-photographs, so I am wondering whether this is a strategic move from Leica if there still is an amount of Q2 collecting dust in shelves around the world. Just a thought I have.

Edited by BjarniM
misspelling

13 hours ago, BjarniM said:

I would happily share some photos, but there seems to be no way through the editor(s), so if I mange to knock a hole in LFI, I would love to share some photos.

As suggested simply post your photos in this thread, so go to where you stored them, size them according to forum rules, and insert them into the thread. Or indeed post them into any appropriate forum, such as 'landscape' or 'street photography' and add a link to them into this discussion.

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 22.6.2023 um 20:39 schrieb BjarniM:

I am really wondering and thinking about selection criteria for Leica Master Shots in LFI from Leica.

I have many times submitted photographs, but never gotten one single photograph through the selection/editor(s).

I have the same experience after sending in several in my eyes (in others as well) good pictures, and same as you, none has ever been chosen.
So after a while I gave up and publish my images on Facebook.
C’est la vie 🙂

• 7 months later...

This might be a very unpopular opinion here, but I am going to go out on a limb and say it. 

I generally find the LFI master shots so much more interesting and engaging than what is often the Favourite Images in this Leica forum. 

Most often the top images are dominated by female portraiture, clearly diversity isn't one of the criteria. 

• Like 2

I don’t know how it is now but I submitted a couple a long time ago and they both got approved. However they got drowned in the flood of subsequent shots over time so I decided to leave it be. 

1 hour ago, pixelwatch said:

This might be a very unpopular opinion here, but I am going to go out on a limb and say it. 

I generally find the LFI master shots so much more interesting and engaging than what is often the Favourite Images in this Leica forum. 

Most often the top images are dominated by female portraiture, clearly diversity isn't one of the criteria. 

That is what happens when you get a jury of 100.000 members: crowd pleasers get chosen.  Although I have seen quite a few pretty good photographs that came through nonetheless.

• Like 1

I browse through the latest LFI Leica Master Shots when I want some inspiration. I think they're mostly very good, but I sometimes wonder if it's just a coincidence that so many of them are taken with a Leica Q. They also seem to be fond of colorful concrete walls. 😉

I've submitted a few shots myself, and several of them have been approved (even though I don't have a Leica Q).

• Like 1