looking for a RIP

Well, given that it was a replacement for a Canon Pro 1000, I cannot say that the print quality is disappointing. The main problem was that the developers of RIPs were rather slow to support it. Now there are eyewateringly expensive ones and this is the first of the midrange. So I am looking for user experiences. 

If you still have an old Mac device, maybe running your old Mac as a dedicated printing device is an option?
I use my old Mac mini that way. Drivers for my printer are not updated for Mac OS for years now...

I have the Epson drivers on my Mac, but colour correction and proofing is not really very good, and asks for much adaptation in postprocessing

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

I have the Epson drivers on my Mac, but colour correction and proofing is not really very good, and asks for much adaptation in postprocessing

My idea was to run an older Mac OS to on Mac Intel hardware in the assumption that you had some RIP software compatible with that.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, jaapv said:

Well, given that it was a replacement for a Canon Pro 1000, I cannot say that the print quality is disappointing. The main problem was that the developers of RIPs were rather slow to support it. Now there are eyewateringly expensive ones and this is the first of the midrange. So I am looking for user experiences. 

IP would have worked with the Pro 1000. 

Jeff

2 hours ago, dpitt said:

My idea was to run an older Mac OS to on Mac Intel hardware in the assumption that you had some RIP software compatible with that.

No, the compatibility problem was with the printer - it is one of the newer types and it seems that the RIPs are rather slow to adopt new models.

16 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Yes - but the thing was too thirsty and clunky for me.

Yup, I’ve written about the required (can’t be disabled) automatic cleaning cycles for Canon, which are necessary to get rid of residue for the hot firing heads. The Pro 1000 makes more sense for those who print frequently, as it will use lots of ink regardless. The Epson heads are cold firing, so users can decide on cleanings. 

I like my Epson P800.  If it dies, the P900 disappoints with 50ml ink cartridges, compared to 80 for the P800 and Pro 1000.  I’ll be curious about an eventual Pro 1000 replacement.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S