Q3 - Leica Looks

I get the idea though. You have your situations where you really just want to capture the moments without going to the dark room (family shots) and then there are times where „working on the image“ is a pleasure and you want that RAW file to process.

Leica Looks could be the solution, especially if they push that idea even further with some possibilities to tweak those looks to the user‘s own taste in the app before putting it on the camera. Leica, are you listening? 🥹

• Like 6

I hate post processing and view it as a necessary evil because I almost always use DNGs. I suspect the “Looks” wouldn’t be for me but if they helped avoid/minimise sitting in front of a computer they’d get my vote 

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/30/2023 at 2:14 PM, leicamario said:

I get the idea though. You have your situations where you really just want to capture the moments without going to the dark room (family shots) and then there are times where „working on the image“ is a pleasure and you want that RAW file to process.

Leica Looks could be the solution, especially if they push that idea even further with some possibilities to tweak those looks to the user‘s own taste in the app before putting it on the camera. Leica, are you listening? 🥹

There are more than enough presets to process ones image...Well I seem to have many many dozen in my Lightroom Classis, plus some I've loaded as well.

They are very occasionally handy...but usually I get what I want with some of my own quick changes.

The so called "Leica  Look" is really a bit of a fallacy and even a joke...pushed by the glitterati.

Just do your own thing there are no rules.

• Haha 1

On 5/30/2023 at 10:14 PM, ianforber said:

I hate post processing and view it as a necessary evil because I almost always use DNGs. I suspect the “Looks” wouldn’t be for me but if they helped avoid/minimise sitting in front of a computer they’d get my vote 

I don't hate post-processing, but I spend my working life looking at computer screens and don't really want to spend any more time looking at them outside of work than I must - I'd rather be shooting.

I'll wait until my Q3 arrives so I can test the Looks, but if they provide an acceptable result for some applications, then maybe that'll be a little less time on the computer. I can still shoot DNG + JPEG, so I'll retain the option of doing my own PP when the image requires it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Am 6.6.2023 um 05:30 schrieb david strachan:

There are more than enough presets to process ones image...Well I seem to have many many dozen in my Lightroom Classis, plus some I've loaded as well.

They are very occasionally handy...but usually I get what I want with some of my own quick changes.

The so called "Leica  Look" is really a bit of a fallacy and even a joke...pushed by the glitterati.

Just do your own thing there are no rules.

Own thing or not, I want it in camera.

• Thanks 1

This thread is nothing without sample pictures ;) 

Did someone already had the opportunity to play a little bit around with these Leica-Style jpgs? Would be interesting to see the results for the times were you just want to shoot and share. 

Thanks in advance. 

Daniel

• Like 2

On 6/9/2023 at 12:06 PM, Daniel C.1975 said:

This thread is nothing without sample pictures ;) 

Did someone already had the opportunity to play a little bit around with these Leica-Style jpgs? Would be interesting to see the results for the times were you just want to shoot and share. 

Thanks in advance. 

Daniel

Coming back from the fortress island of Suomenlinna to Helsinki, in the afternoon sun.
The first picture below is Leica Looks "Contemporary". All pictures ISO 200 f8.0 and 1/500s + only cropped (original L-jpeg)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The second picture is Leica Looks ”Classic”:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

And to compare, this last one is not Leica Looks but Film style ”natural”, which has the most true colours.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my Q3, and tried some quick photos around my house and garden. The two color "looks" are pretty insipid. I suppose it depends on the subjects, but I can't see them being very useful. I guess Leica is trying, in some way, to emulate Fujifilm, whose film simulations are so popular. But Fuji bases them on their own real film stocks, rather than on some random preset, of which there are gazillions already out there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree, Leica Looks is quite useless, even for recreational use. Q3 firmware does not offer (at least today) possibility to any in camera adjustments for jpeg Leica Looks -profiles.  The jpeg ”Film Style” profiles like Natural and Standard can be adjusted in camera ( Contrast / Highlight / Shadow / Sharpness / Saturation ). In addition to those adjustments, Leica Looks profiles would need at least an adjustment panel for colour palette, to create your own in camera presets or ”receipts” as they call them in Fuji community.

Maybe in some future firmware upgrades we will get more possibilities for in camera adjustments like Fuji does offer for jpeg shooters. For professional use I can believe dng / post processing would still be in most cases the only option. But for recreational/amateur use I wellcome the development of this Leica Looks idea further towards what Fuji offers - jpeg ”film-receipts” seems to be quite popular in Fuji community among those who want to get finished pictures directly from the camera.

• Like 1