Comparing two 35's and scratching myhead....

Julian H

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

I have a Summarit 2.4 and a Summilux ASPH FLE 11663.

When the ASPH lens is focussed at infinity [on the lens scale, not on the rangefinder] it is not sharp. Bring focus a little in from infinity and it is sharp[er]. I have seen this on other threads so am comfortable this might be normal? However, focussed at closer range, say around 7m on the rangefinder it is not as sharp as the Summarit, all the way from 2.4 to 5.6 [I didn't go further]. All shots were done on a tripod with self timer release. Is this normal? Appreciate some feedback.

Fortunately for me the'lux is a loaner, not mine

Thanks, Julian

2 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

👁️‍🗨️

The loaner could be brand new (loaned from the store) or severly beaten (rental, friend, etc.). The question is important. Only by eliminating all variables will we be able to remotely solve the issue as much as possible.

Edited by Al Brown

The problem is that sharp is not quantifiable in optics. The users of the term often mean contrasty, as contrast is often perceived as sharpness, whilst the less contrasty lens can well have better definition and detail rendering..

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd consider having it calibrated by one of the known experts. I rely on DAG, but I'm sure there are well respected Leica techs on the UK, as well. You might search thru threads  on calibration to find the reliable ones.