Q3 scratches

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anyone else get scratches near the hot shoe for the Q3 pretty easily? I’m not sure why but after a few weeks of ownership I can see small scratches near the hotshoe. I usually just place the camera in my bag and usually there’s also no other items inside. Just wanted to see if anyone else experiencing the same thing and suggestions from others to prevent these scratches. 

It may be just the nature of the beast.

If in the past all you've owned is entry level or prosumer cameras...the bodies of which are made essentially of plastic, the color is molded into the plastic...all the way down.  The Q3 is metal with paint, which will scratch.

Any possibility this is the issue?

my son dropped the lens cap two times and the paint came off at the edges where the cap hit the floor. Mind you, he's 2.5yrs old, so the cap didn't fall that far. If the camera body has the same paint, then yes I'd assume it scratches quite easily. A plastic lens cap wouldn't have scratched that easy but on the other hand wouldn't feel premium. I don't have any scratches on the body itself after using the Q3 since the end of may 23. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

10 hours ago, bobtodrick said:

It may be just the nature of the beast.

If in the past all you've owned is entry level or prosumer cameras...the bodies of which are made essentially of plastic, the color is molded into the plastic...all the way down.  The Q3 is metal with paint, which will scratch.

Any possibility this is the issue?

Could be I’ve had a Z6 and a D500 and the body never scratched in all my years of using those 2 camera so was pretty surprised to see the Q3 scratch so easily for such a high price 

10 hours ago, Qwertynm said:

my son dropped the lens cap two times and the paint came off at the edges where the cap hit the floor. Mind you, he's 2.5yrs old, so the cap didn't fall that far. If the camera body has the same paint, then yes I'd assume it scratches quite easily. A plastic lens cap wouldn't have scratched that easy but on the other hand wouldn't feel premium. I don't have any scratches on the body itself after using the Q3 since the end of may 23. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Do you ever put your camera around your neck? Just wondering if it could possible be the zipper that caused it to scratch

18 minutes ago, Asmodeus said:

Do you ever put your camera around your neck? Just wondering if it could possible be the zipper that caused it to scratch

Can you post a picture of the scratches so we better know what you are seeing. 

vor einer Stunde schrieb Asmodeus:

Do you ever put your camera around your neck?

No, I don’t use camera straps on my cameras. Agree with the poster above, post some pics of your scratched topplate

Edited by Qwertynm

14 hours ago, RobW0 said:

Can you post a picture of the scratches so we better know what you are seeing. 

here's the picture of the scratch 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It’s hitting something along the back edge. The hotshoe cover also has small dents along the top edge. 

Either some metal on your camera strap, a zip on your jacket, or even your watch if you cradle the camera against your wrist whilst walking. 
Since you mentioned it, the price of a camera (or anything else) has nothing to do with its resistance to damage. Unfortunately painted objects will tend to scratch if abraded. Only the “black chrome” Leica finishes would not chip off, but wear very slowly over time, since the finish is not painted on. 

There are scuffs on the rubber of the eyecup as well. This is clearly mechanical damage from something hitting the camera. In any case silvering on the edges of any metal camera comes with use, and is perfectly normal. I have a CL that has them all along both top and bottom plate and an SL that is even worse. It can only be prevented by wrapping the camera in clingfoil and keeping it in a cupboard. 

This is what my well used SL looks like

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

This is what my well used SL looks like

As it should 😂

About what my Q looks like.

The photos however are just as good as the day I got it…which may or may not be an indication of their merit 😂

• Like 1