Should I stay or go?

SJB27

The X2D is incredible when it comes to color.  It is true 16-bit color when edited in the Phocus app (which is getting better).  The 90mm v lens is now more available and is also incredible. I am really enjoying that system.

However…

If you already own a 47mp SL2, then the least expensive way to get an incredible image would be to change your lens,  the 24-90 is a very good lens (I just used it in Antarctica a week ago), but the APO summicron primes are some of the most stellar lenses to date and are similar in some ways to the S lenses.  They draw incredibly well.  You could get the 75 or 90 for a very small net investment rather than start a kit over. 

My suggestion @SJB27 would be to look at your images and see what focal length you use most often for your portraits and then consider renting the prime SL lens to see what you think.  IMHO, you will be tremendously excited for your wallet and your images!  In addition you won’t have to learn a new camera system (especially if you use flash) and figure out how to edit the files to your liking.  Seems like a win-win.

• Thanks 1

I got curious about the X2D, and looked up some reviews at BH Photo. Came across this one and decided to stay with the SL2 and now M11. The verified buyer sounds like he knows what he is talking about. He acknowledges the files are incredible, but the lenses are wanting. He also acknowledged that his clients could not distinguish between the Hasselblad images and Canon images. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, John Smith said:

I got curious about the X2D, and looked up some reviews at BH Photo. Came across this one and decided to stay with the SL2 and now M11. The verified buyer sounds like he knows what he is talking about. He acknowledges the files are incredible, but the lenses are wanting. He also acknowledged that his clients could not distinguish between the Hasselblad images and Canon images. 

Thank you for this indepth summary. Much appreciated. I need to save for 75 or 90 used lens for my SL2. Currently, I have been using the 24-90, but maybe having a lighter lens might make me feel a bit better.

18 hours ago, John Smith said:

@John Smith, that is one opinion.  I have used the X2D and the CFV 50Cii with the 38v, 55v and finally got the 90v.  All of the complaints I have seen about vignetting and other editing is from software other than Phocus.  I can say Phocus has some shortcomings, but it is no more difficult to use than LR or C1.  The two images here are with the X2D through Phocus (and with the 38v lens).  Note that I compared the light falloff and MTF graphs to the S lenses, and while the HV lenses have more vignetting, they are similar (and a small step down) from the Leica S lenses.  Remember that the X2D is a medium format and not comparable to the SL series, which includes focusing.  The Hasselblad is not meant for sports or wildlife photography, but more portrait, studio and landscape, which is what I use it for.  Phocus automatically removes the lens vignetting (also for the older film lenses like the 60CF and others) because it has lens profiles.  Capture1 and Lightroom do the same if there is a lens profile.  The system is fantastic, but not the same as the SL system and lacks weatherproofing like the Leica's, but then again is also less expensive.

'nuff said about Hassey here, but the SL system has incredible potential now and going forward with these new APO summicrons, and with the new SL3, I think it will be a strong contender against the S system.

Edited by davidmknoble
added lens info.
  • Like 2

On 1/31/2024 at 4:02 AM, davidmknoble said:

The X2D is incredible when it comes to color.  It is true 16-bit color when edited in the Phocus app (which is getting better).  The 90mm v lens is now more available and is also incredible. I am really enjoying that system.

However…

If you already own a 47mp SL2, then the least expensive way to get an incredible image would be to change your lens,  the 24-90 is a very good lens (I just used it in Antarctica a week ago), but the APO summicron primes are some of the most stellar lenses to date and are similar in some ways to the S lenses.  They draw incredibly well.  You could get the 75 or 90 for a very small net investment rather than start a kit over. 

My suggestion @SJB27 would be to look at your images and see what focal length you use most often for your portraits and then consider renting the prime SL lens to see what you think.  IMHO, you will be tremendously excited for your wallet and your images!  In addition you won’t have to learn a new camera system (especially if you use flash) and figure out how to edit the files to your liking.  Seems like a win-win.

Excellent advice. I'm usually around 75 or so. So I will rent it and go from there. Thank you.