Base plate question on a Leica MP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is a newb or silly question as it's my first film M so please bear with me.

I recently bought a like new Leica MP and noticed the base plate its very tough to remove and place back on. What I mean is, it's not a smooth or easy (just comes off). Is it meant to be like this when it's new and then loosen up over time or not?

There's no residue of any kind and it's a super clean camera just seems like a tight fit.

Seeing videos online, it just gave me the impression they're "loose" and easy to take off and put on.

Would appreciate any help.

Mine isn’t particularly loose but it’s not supposed to be. Remember this thing keeps the light out so a nice tight fit is a good thing. It might “give” a bit on use but I really would worry about it.

Welcome and and fun with your MP 🙂

• Like 1

The latch on the baseplate of my M3 from 1956 is fairly stiff to turn and has always been like that. There have been no light leaks. The latch on my Barnack camera, a IIIf from 1952, is much smoother to turn and it also has had no light leaks. I'd say the M3 is a heavier duty construction.

• Like 1

I had a new M6 before I got my new MP and the MP‘s baseplate was definitely way tighter / harder to remove or attach!

Was not questioning it but this was more convenient with the M6 right from the beginning! If you got used to it, it is okayish 😉

On 1/18/2024 at 11:54 PM, rxj said:

This is a newb or silly question as it's my first film M so please bear with me.

I recently bought a like new Leica MP and noticed the base plate its very tough to remove and place back on. What I mean is, it's not a smooth or easy (just comes off). Is it meant to be like this when it's new and then loosen up over time or not?

There's no residue of any kind and it's a super clean camera just seems like a tight fit.

Seeing videos online, it just gave me the impression they're "loose" and easy to take off and put on.

Would appreciate any help.

The baseplate on my 2yo MP is much tighter than the ones on my other 50+yo M bodies. Having said that, it shouldn’t be that “tough” to remove and put back. 
While it’ll probably loosen up with time and use, I’d have a pro look at it for peace of mind if it’s convenient to do so.