Do M6 base plates fit an M7 or MP?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My black M7 has a Motor-M on it and comes without its original base plate. There might well come a time when I don't want the bulk of the Motor M with me and so need a standard base plate. There are a few being advertised for M6/7/MP. Now some other sources say that whereas an original M6 plate will not fit on an M7, an M7 plate will fit on an M6 and the MP plate is identical to the M7. 

Does anyone know for certain what the true facts are? The nicest looking plate comes from HK and it would be a real pain to have to return it and recover any duties paid, if it does not fit. 

I am waiting for the Paris Leica Boutique to phone me back with price and availability for a new one. I might be quicker buying direct from Wetzlar as I think it vanishingly unlikely that Leica France will have one in stock. I am on the professional register, which might help. 

Wilson

Why would an original M6 baseplate not fit an M7? Admittedly, I've never owned both an M6 and M7 concurrently (and swapped the plates) but I've owned enough M6/7/P/-A bodies and accessories like the Motor-M and Leicavit to feel quite certain that the baseplates are fully interchangeable.

The M6 was the last model with a baseplate latch that would activate the IXMOO film cassette. It's possible the latch mechanism on later models changed in other ways as well, so it could be that the baseplates don't interchange.

The M6 was the last model with a baseplate latch that would activate the IXMOO film cassette. It's possible the latch mechanism on later models changed in other ways as well, so it could be that the baseplates don't interchange.

That's an interesting point. According to the Nemeng FAQs it is possible to use a "notched" M6 baseplate on an M6TTL and use reloadable cassettes. I think the film chamber of the M7, MP and M-A isn't generous enough to accommodate the IXMOO so the IXMOO compatibility becomes a moot point with those cameras. In all cases, I believe it is correct that any baseplate designed for M6/7/MP (as described by Wilson) will fit all cameras from M4 onwards. Whether that plate would work with the IXMOO in the pre-M6TTL bodies is another question but that shouldn't concern Wilson with his M7.

Thanks all for the information. As the only S/H one I could find was from China, I have decided to order a new one from Leica Paris. By the time I would have paid import duty, collection fee, processing fee and VAT on the whole shooting match, the prices were not that far apart. BTW Leica Paris say they have two different part numbers for an M6 and M7 base. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 2

I have had a Leica repairman explain it to me. The Leica M6 (post 1997), M6TTL, M7, MA and MP plates are identical. These plates will also fit the early M6 cameras but may feel very slightly loose when latched. However the plate from an early M6 camera will usually fit on but not latch properly on the later cameras, hence why there are two different part numbers. 

Wilson

• Like 3

• 6 years later...

As the Motor M can be used on all film  M's from the M4-2 to the M-P, I see no reasons the floor plates would not also be interchangeable. If It does not fit for some reason, I have spare M4-P and M7 base plates. 

Wilson