Leica M2 rewind issue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M2 refuses to rewind the film when it is halfway into rewinding. A visual inspection did not result in any issues as far as I can tell. Does anyone have a clue what might cause this, or experienced a similar issue? Thanks.

So you’ve opened the camera and not all the film has been rewound into the cassette? One thing that could happen is you accidentally flicked the rewind lever on the front of the camera and stopped it rewinding. 

There is no way to determine exactly how far you have rewound an exposed film, so ‘halfway’ must be a subjective decision, so have you maybe come to the end of rewinding and the film has been stubborn disengaging from the take up spool? 

And expectations about film advance or rewinding can change if you’ve accidentally loaded a 24 exposure film and thought it was a 36 exposure film.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

Does your M2 have lever or button rewind release?

It has the button rewind release. 

It's very strange, the film gets stuck rewinding halfway, or the last thirds. Could it be that when accidentally pushing the rewind release button, during rewinding, can cause this? I have lost two exposed films but will do a test with a cheap film. 

if you open the body can you determine what is sticking it ? this is likely to be:

1. rip on film - unlikely to happen two times in a row, unless when you load it you are ripping something, or the film make is cr@p

2. you are pressing the rewind knob back in minutely by mistake - make sure it is out

3. the rewind lever is not that important. just check it is clicked to rewind when it gets stuck

4. is the rewind knob gritty or full of friction ? it could just be seizing up and need a clean

5. it is possible that one of the components of the rewind know is worn, and is moving during winding until it prohibits the mechanism

I would try another film. Different make. If it does it again, then you need to take it to a technician to have a look

• Like 1

Ran a test film through my M2 and it seems that when the film gets stuck halfway, I just need to push the rewind release button another time.

• Like 2

I have two M2, one early button type and one with R lever.

The button type lets rewinding only when the R button is pushed.

I develop a habit to rewind this M2 button pushing R with other hand.

Once the habit is there, memory muscle do the rest.

• Like 2