Perspective Control not showing in Photoshop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, 

I activated the Leica perspective control in-camera (Q3). When I import photos to Lightroom Classic the perspective control is present. When I send it over to Photoshop it disappears! 

Does anybody know how to make it appear in Photoshop/camera raw? 

thankyou! 

Edited by ftwenty2

2 hours ago, ftwenty2 said:

Hello, 

I activated the Leica perspective control in-camera (Q3). When I import photos to Lightroom Classic the perspective control is present. When I send it over to Photoshop it disappears! 

Does anybody know how to make it appear in Photoshop/camera raw? 

thankyou! 

How do you "send it over to Photoshop?" LPC is applied either in LrC or in ACR.

8 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Have you activated “sidecar .XMP files? Anyway, in Photoshop you get a far better and elaborate tool in Filter-lens corrections-custom. 

I have not activated XMP sidecars, and LPC works fine. I do not see why you would have to use XMP for LPC. No PS tool acts as LPC, as LPC uses the stored angles to apply transformations.

Can you either reference the other thread or say what you did to make it work, so that if in the feature when someone runs in the same problem as you did, they know how to resolve it. That‘d be a great help. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

I have not activated XMP sidecars, and LPC works fine. I do not see why you would have to use XMP for LPC. No PS tool acts as LPC, as LPC uses the stored angles to apply transformations.

Sowhat is the difference in results between perspective control in PS and LPC? The angles in PS are controllable by sliders. 

27 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Sowhat is the difference in results between perspective control in PS and LPC? The angles in PS are controllable by sliders. 

The difference is that LPC uses real angles recorded during the shot. With PS sliders, the user is guessing the corrections.

Using the grid is pretty precise and minimal effort. Does LPC do both horizontal and vertical corrections? Personally I always prefer user control with such compositional elements over automation - as in many other automatic controls. For instance: fully correcting perspective to the camera angle can look unnatural. Leaving a remnant feels much more real.  I'm sure LPC works for the people who use it, but to me it is inferior to manual control. 

• Like 1

This is what I found on the other thread. I carried out the second option in LrC:

1. To enable LPC manually, click the "Guided" button in the Transform panel. Note that you can apply LPC even if you have not selected it in the camera.

2. To enable LPC automatically at import (only if enabled in the camera), go to Preferences>Presets>Raw Defaults>Global>Camera Settings (instead of Adobe Default).

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Using the grid is pretty precise and minimal effort. Does LPC do both horizontal and vertical corrections? Personally I always prefer user control with such compositional elements over automation - as in many other automatic controls. For instance: fully correcting perspective to the camera angle can look unnatural. Leaving a remnant feels much more real.  I'm sure LPC works for the people who use it, but to me it is inferior to manual control. 

I think LPC is a significant benefit in Leica cameras that support it. Adobe software (ACR and LrC) applies the four Geometry Draw Guides according to the camera angle. These guides can be removed (e.g., to use only for leveling) or adjusted to one's liking. To me, this is more about accuracy than automation. LPC is tunable and can be turned off if it does not work. If it is turned on in the camera, it will be self-evident whether the correction is excessive (simulation in EVF). In that case, it should be turned off. I always have a button assigned for quickly turning LPC on and off.

I often used the in-camera LPC as the camera leveling guide.

• Like 1

The main point probably is that the LPC can be changed or deleted in LRC (as you said above). Its not just the option ON or OFF. 

You can either press "guided" then LPC is applied withoud showing the horizontal and vertical lines that are applied. In order to see those lines on your screen you have to click onto the ikon itself: The lines immediately show up. Now you can correct whatever you like to correct.

When I have pictures of architecture then it might be important to move a line directly to the edge of the wall on the image in order to see if LPC is fully accurate. You will then see that LPC often is not fully accurate. In that instance you can change the angle of one or more lines (2 horizonal lines and 2 vertical ones) so that those lines are precisely paralel to a wall.

So its extremely flexible . . .

• Like 1