Leica Q3 - How to activate Perspective Control?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, David Wien said:

No. I dont find it necessary. I shoot raw and any necessary small adjustments to perspective I make in Photolab. That‘s with the Q3: I use a shift lens with my Canon R6..

David

Unfortunately, if you are not using Adobe, you cannot even try it with DNGs.

use the horizon-tilt-level in the EVF/Display to get close. If you shoot architecture get a tripod with a Arca Swiss C1 cube or similar and do it in camera if that's so critical to your shooting. Or if you have to have it in post then use Lightroom.

6 hours ago, Qwertynm said:

use the horizon-tilt-level in the EVF/Display to get close. If you shoot architecture get a tripod with a Arca Swiss C1 cube or similar and do it in camera if that's so critical to your shooting. Or if you have to have it in post then use Lightroom.

The Level Gauge gives you only the roll correction, while I often use LPC to correct the camera's pitch and roll and thus reduce IQ degradation because of transformation in the post.

The corrections in the post are sometimes better than what you get from LPC (there is some precision issue with the angles or transformations). Still, there is often no visual reference you can use for correction. You can either use the embedded angles (they are always there in the DNGs), or you can wing it using your experience.

I assume you have also never used it, correct?

vor einer Stunde schrieb SrMi:

I assume you have also never used it, correct?

Thanks for the thorough explanation. I use the horizon level in the viewfinder. For my kind of photography this gets me close enough. Some images even look weird after applying LPC in post. I have used it in the field just a couple of times but I prefer the horizon level overlay for various reasons. It’s also not that critical for my kind of images (mainly family pictures) to be 100% straight in x,y and z axis. But glad it’s there. It’s a useful feature for cityscapes. 

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

The Level Gauge gives you only the roll correction, while I often use LPC to correct the camera's pitch and roll and thus reduce IQ degradation because of transformation in the post.

Page 87 of the EN user manual shows the available display of both roll and pitch. Granted, the small line in the centre that indicates pitch is not as easy to see as one might hope; but it does work. I also use the grid (p. 85) to check that architectural verticals and horizontals are correct.

David

1 hour ago, David Wien said:

Page 87 of the EN user manual shows the available display of both roll and pitch. Granted, the small line in the centre that indicates pitch is not as easy to see as one might hope; but it does work. I also use the grid (p. 85) to check that architectural verticals and horizontals are correct.

David

Thanks! I tried it out before posting and did not notice it :).

Nonetheless, I find virtual horizons smack in the middle of the image very distracting. They should be on the bottom and the side. Leica's implementation is still one of the less distracting ones.

Edited by SrMi