Overturning and frameline hack question

Skydog

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

I've read that some people overturn their lenses to show different framelines.... allegedly without any harm to the rangefinder system. Is this true? I imagine that - when overturning a lens - the lens mount would hit the rangefinder arm....  

The lens mount can’t touch the rangefinder arm, the rear of the lens touches the rangefinder arm. If you are correct and people do intentionally over-rotate the lens in the mount very little would be achieved except for having the privilege of being able to ask a stupid question on the forum about why can they see the wrong frame in the viewfinder.

Edited by 250swb
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Why would anyone do that when they have a frame preview lever?

I have heard of people whose lenses don't 'click' into place when mounted and they have noticed when the lens turns beyond where it should be - that's a different matter. But turning the lens more than it should go on purpose seems daft.

I can't tell you why somebody would do that... I just picked it up in a conversation. The conversation started with somebody asking whether it would be problem to turn a lens further than it should go... that guy was a Nikon shooter and he regularly turned the lens into the wrong direction when taking the lenses off.

My opinion was that it could hurt the rangefinder cam -  but what do I know - ... somebody else chimed in saying it wouldn't be a problem. And added that some people would do that on purpose.... that seemed strange to me... that's why I'm asking....

10 minutes ago, Skydog said:

I can't tell you why somebody would do that... I just picked it up in a conversation. The conversation started with somebody asking whether it would be problem to turn a lens further than it should go... that guy was a Nikon shooter and he regularly turned the lens into the wrong direction when taking the lenses off.

My opinion was that it could hurt the rangefinder cam -  but what do I know - ... somebody else chimed in saying it wouldn't be a problem. And added that some people would do that on purpose.... that seemed strange to me... that's why I'm asking....

Yes you can't hurt anything, but just let the lens snap or click into position. The problem is often caused by people thinking if they keep the lens release button pressed in while mounting a lens it will be kinder to the camera because they don't hear a metallic click, maybe imagining it will cause wear. But it's not the case, the 'snap' is what you want to hear.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, andybarton said:

Is it even possible to over turn a Leica lens?

Yes, nearly all lenses can go a fraction past the stop if the release button is held in. A 35mm Summicron goes a long way past mounted on my MP and a tiny way past mounted on my M10. I guess some tolerance is allowed in the bayonet to ensure the pin and groove are the only hard stop. Nikon F and Z lenses also go beyond the stop if the button is held.

• Thanks 1

vor 13 Stunden schrieb earleygallery:

Why would anyone do that when they have a frame preview lever?

I have heard of people whose lenses don't 'click' into place when mounted and they have noticed when the lens turns beyond where it should be - that's a different matter. But turning the lens more than it should go on purpose seems daft.

Once upon a time there were Leica cameras which had no lever for frame selection: M240 and M262. And being asked the people from Leica said:

„Well, it‘s easy to change the framelines if you like: just press the release button and overturn the lens.“ The same recommendation was given for the M8 which had no frames for 135mm. Overturning the lens with a 135mm you got the frames for 90mm which were helpful for guessing.

Maybe try grinding some material off the surface of the mount that engages the frame line selector lever, which might just bring up the incorrect frame lines, if that is what they are after ???

3 hours ago, UliWer said:

Once upon a time there were Leica cameras which had no lever for frame selection: M240 and M262. And being asked the people from Leica said:

„Well, it‘s easy to change the framelines if you like: just press the release button and overturn the lens.“ The same recommendation was given for the M8 which had no frames for 135mm. Overturning the lens with a 135mm you got the frames for 90mm which were helpful for guessing.

I have just overturned a lens on my M240 and yes, instead of the 50mm frameline showing, the 135/28 ones now do. But, it felt as if I was about to break something, so I wont be doing that again - not that I have a need for 135 or 28 framelines.

vor 20 Minuten schrieb andybarton:

135/28

It‘s the 28/90mm combination you get overturning. And there is no risk to break or damage anything. You just let the bayonet of a 50mm lens function as one for 90mm. Of course it‘s of no use if your camera has a frame selector. 

Btw: How to loosen an LTM adapter which is stuck to the lens? Recommendation from the times of Ernst Leitz GmbH: insert it in the camera and turn it counter-clockwise (seen from the camera‘s front). It works and it‘s safe. 

Edited by UliWer
  • Thanks 1