viewfinder questions

brickftl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm getting a Leica 21/3.4 super elmar for my M10, and thinking I should get a viewfinder. Questions:

1. If I'm using zoom/focus peeking, will I see those attributes looking through either the Zeiss or Leica 21 viewfinder?

2. If I get one of those 21 viewfinders, can it be used even if I have a longer lens attached such as a 35 or 50? 

1-No -  These viewfinders are optical, not electronic

2 - These viewfinders are stand-alone telescopes that have no connection to lens or camera whatever.

• Like 1

The field of view of a 21mm lens is about ninety degrees, horizontal. This corresponds, for me, to just about the limits of my peripheral vision. So I often use that to "frame" the shot. I also sometimes take my hands, hold them out so that the palms face one another, and then cross them at the wrist to form a ninety degree angle. I can then follow my fingertips out to about where the borders of the shot will be. On an M10, you can frame loosely and then crop a bit and you'll still be fine. I find that these shortcuts work well enough for 21mm that I can do without a viewfinder, relying on live view when I truly need exact framing. (By the same token, the lack of such simple shortcuts for 24mm is why I sold my 24mm SEM and only kept the 21mm.)

You'll love the lens, it's amazing, not just for landscapes but for interiors.