Q3 V2.01 firmware update too long

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The firmware update has been running for two hours now. Is this normal?  If not what should I do since Leica is strongly recommending  not to turn the camera off or remove the battery.  Advice is appreciated.

Probably your update is done long time ago. 

Under the condition that on the back of your camera there is no light blinking and the screen is black then turn off the camera and turn on again after waiting for some 5 seconds.

Is everything fine?

Edited by M11 for me

Thank you. The back of the camera is on showing the updating firmware is still taking place. 

This is the first update for this camera. This version was released a few days ago.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pull the battery and pray. Normally the update is only activated after being installed but in cases like this nothing is certain. If the camera should get bricked Leica can revive it. 

• Like 1

The battery died as expected. After charging the battery the camera turned on and had the original firmware.  

I restarted the update using a new SD card and turning off the connectivity features. 

The process took a few minutes and the new version is now installed.  

Thank you for your comments.  I believe the clean/new SD card was the difference. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Well, yes. Happy that it worked. One should always run a card through SD Formatter before using it for an update. 

I believe in-camera format is good enough.

• Like 1

Not always. If there are no corrupt sectors on the card it is no problem, however, if there are you need a more sophisticated procedure. As SD Formatter is simple to use, fast and free, why not?  You don’t need to do a full forensic overwrite. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, reynoldsyoung said:

Begs the question...why go the FOTOS route when taking the SD card path is so easy and straightforward ?

a) because a download was not available

b) it is (slightly?) more convenient.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb reynoldsyoung:

Begs the question...why go the FOTOS route when taking the SD card path is so easy and straightforward ?

Just try it the new way. You will love it. The problem described here is most probably not due to that.

🙏

I concur with Jaap on using SD Formatter with a new SD card. Apart from anything else, it checks the integrity of the SD card and will immediately alert the user to a fake card. I received a fake Lexar Pro SDXC 128GB card from Amazon France. They have the unfortunate practice of mixing up items from third party sellers/scammers and Amazon's own purchases, all in the same stock bins at the Amazon fulfilment centres. SD Formatter altered me to the fact that the card did not match its description. Amazon France is notorious for sending out fake Duracell Lithium Batteries from third party sellers. I have twice had this problem (10 x CR123A lithium and 10 x CR2032 coin cells). I got Duracell France to sort it for me, as I had no confidence that Amazon France would not just replace fake with fake. 

Wilson

• Like 1