35 APO Summicron Lens Cap very loose

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After not a great deal of use, the lens cap on my 35 APO Summicron has become very loose, as the felt/velvet lining on the inner rim has packed down. On my recent trip to the Caribbean, I caught it twice in my hand as it fell off. Given the likely very high cost of this embossed metal cap, I would really like to avoid losing it, like I use to lose lens caps on my 35 ASPH Summilux, before changing the hood/cap arrangement to the Contax G Titanium hood and cap. 

Does anyone know where I can source self-adhesive velvet or thin felt tape to replace the lining on the inner rim of the cap? I don't want to buy a sheet of self adhesive velvet, as I am far from a dab hand with a pair of scissors, with shaky hands. I do have a set of 'O' ring picks to remove the packed down original lining. 

Wilson

I am in a market for 35mm APO and just yesterday learned about the issue with the lens cap. 
Contax G lenses also have slip on caps, but they somewhat create an air tight seal when you put them on and remain firmly attached. 
Only the time will tell, but adding a thicker velvet might  help. Unfortunately no help from me on where to source it.

Moin

Another possibility could be a 3D printed lenses cap.

The video below is a tutorial for a lens cap version Leica Q2, but I think with some modifikations usable for the Summicron too. I think the trick is the used softer material.

Unfortunately in German language.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, W124 said:

Unfortunately in German language.

Kein Problem fuer mich, aber…

…for $8k, we really shouldn’t be having this discussion.

Thank you for the link.

Edited by mirekti
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I really like the very robust original metal lens cap, if only it would stay where it was put. I also like the very neat original metal lens hood, which is excellent at preventing flare and would not want to change it for some of the many other alternatives I have in my photographic sundries drawers and bags. I am sure someone must sell self adhesive velvet tape, for making light proof seals on things like large format dark slides. 

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Discussed, with alternative solutions.

Thanks, that's actually where I initially discovered the issue.
Honestly, Leica should fix this. If my Contax G hoods, keep their caps firmly on after 20, 30 years...
...there is a way, it depends if there's will. With Leica I would expect there is, but times changed. Let's see.

The fancy caps are good to store for the next owner and to preserve prices.  Inexpensive pinch caps are more practical.  I prefer just using hood and eliminating caps except when lens is shelved. 

Jeff

• Like 3

An edition of Red Dot Forum Live included a discussion of the tendency of these fancy metal caps to have an effect on the finish of the lens, if the lens is stored with the cap in place. So, between the potential of felt deteriorating, and possibly marring the black lacquer paint of my Thambar-M lens, it seems to be a best practice to store the cap separately, as a collectible item.

On 1/6/2024 at 10:20 PM, wlaidlaw said:

After not a great deal of use, the lens cap on my 35 APO Summicron has become very loose, as the felt/velvet lining on the inner rim has packed down. On my recent trip to the Caribbean, I caught it twice in my hand as it fell off. Given the likely very high cost of this embossed metal cap, I would really like to avoid losing it, like I use to lose lens caps on my 35 ASPH Summilux, before changing the hood/cap arrangement to the Contax G Titanium hood and cap. 

Does anyone know where I can source self-adhesive velvet or thin felt tape to replace the lining on the inner rim of the cap? I don't want to buy a sheet of self adhesive velvet, as I am far from a dab hand with a pair of scissors, with shaky hands. I do have a set of 'O' ring picks to remove the packed down original lining. 

Wilson

I have some thin self adhesive material used on high end hifi turntables which I use. But you may find that just a small piece of masking tape is enough to tighten up the fit, it won’t need to go all the way round just try a half inch long, 10mm, piece anywhere round the inside rim. If that is not enough add another bit, the difference between loose and tight is only a fraction, no need to remove the original felt.

I could send you a piece of my material, what colour?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pyrogallol said:

I have some thin self adhesive material used on high end hifi turntables which I use. But you may find that just a small piece of masking tape is enough to tighten up the fit, it won’t need to go all the way round just try a half inch long, 10mm, piece anywhere round the inside rim. If that is not enough add another bit, the difference between loose and tight is only a fraction, no need to remove the original felt.

I could send you a piece of my material, what colour?

I think I have a sheet of self adhesive velvet somewhere, which I bought to replace the light sealing strips on the roll film backs for my Graflex Crown Century camera (stolen). I will try the masking tape idea first. Many thanks for the kind offer. 

Wilson

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

I think I have a sheet of self adhesive velvet somewhere, which I bought to replace the light sealing strips on the roll film backs for my Graflex Crown Century camera (stolen). I will try the masking tape idea first. Many thanks for the kind offer. 

Wilson

Don’t take the original felt lining off until you have tried adding a little piece of something to just tighten up the fit, I have made that mistake in the past and found that it is too easy to put in a new felt strip that is so thick that the cap will not fit at all, as well as finding that it is very difficult to get the new felt cut and fitted neatly.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Pyrogallol
  • Thanks 1

My usual comment on such post is to remind the assembled members of the existence of a secret section of Leica engineering solely dedicated to designing self-removing lens caps. Their motto: Let there not be an M user photographing with the lens cap on. On occasion the self-removing cap function fails and that causes painful dark arrows flung at the heart of all those engineers. Be kind. Leave you lens cap ensconced in the lens box.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1